why JWs doesn't celebrate birthday?

by vientotz 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

@ vientotz

I myself was baptized in the early 1970s. Spent many thousands of hours going from door to door, making return visits, going to meetings and assemblies, and more.

I think most people here are not so much criticizing Jehovah's Witnesses, but giving you the benefit of their personal experience. I continue to believe that the religion attracts good people. But the religion itself is bad in many ways. The good people find themselves trapped in a belief system that often doesn't make sense.

The religion changes the way people think. It gets them to accept things that don't really make sense, as I mentioned in the above post regarding the double standard in pagan based observances. Once you have gotten in, it isn't easy to get out, at least if you have relatives or other people you care about who are in.

They say they only reject, or disfellowship, hard-core sinners, but you will be considered a hard-core sinner if you disagree with them on such common things as birthdays, or the medical use of blood. Even though these are things that most normal people would have no problem with, you will be viewed as "mentally diseased," and an "evil apostate" if you disagree with them after you are in.

When a person is disfellowshipped, a brief announcement is made to the congregation, but the congregation will never know why a person is disfellowshipped. They are conditioned to shun anyone who leaves the religion, either voluntarily or by being disfellowshipped, regardless of the reason they left.

You are on the right road now, because you are thinking, and getting information from others. I wish I had done this before I got in. It would have changed the path I took in life.

Regarding thinking, after you are in it is something they will not tolerate. They put a negative spin on it by callling it 'independent thinking.' Who wants to be independent? It makes it sound like you are rebelling against God by thinking. They never put a positive spin on thinking by calling it critical thinking, positive thinking, forward thinking, or clear thinking; that is unless you agree with the religion on everything!

Consider their low rate of keeping their own people. The Bible says at Prov 22:6,

"Train up a boy according to the way for him; even when he grows old he will not turn aside from it."

In my personal experience I have observed that no more than half of the children born to Jehovah's Witnesses are still in into adulthood. I have read that about 2/3 of the born-ins leave. This is completely contradictory to what the Bible says. But, shhh, we are not supposed to notice that!

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

JW's don't celebrate the anniversary of their birthday because they're not allowed to. Nowhere in the Bible is there a rule or commandment that you can't celebrate or acknowledge the anniversary of your birthday. It's a man made rule. Did you know that if a JW openly "celebrated" the anniversary of their birthday they would be kicked out of the religion and shunned by all their friends and family? Stick around, you can learn a lot about the religion. I would also recommend you visit jwfacts.com if you want to learn more about the JW's.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

*** w92 9/1 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***

Questions From Readers

Do Jehovah's Witnesses avoid celebrating birthdays because the practice had some religious meaning in ancient times?

Celebrating birthdays is rooted in superstition and false religion, but that is not the sole or prime reason why Jehovah's Witnesses avoid the practice.

Some customs that were once religious in nature no longer are in many places. For example, the wedding ring once had religious significance, but in most places today, it no longer does. Hence, many true Christians accept the local custom of wearing a wedding ring to give evidence that a person is married. In such matters, what generally is influential is whether a practice is now linked to false religion.-See "Questions From Readers" in The Watchtower of January 15, 1972, and October 15, 1991.

There is no denying, though, that numerous reference works reveal the superstitious and religious antecedents of celebrating birthdays. The Encyclopedia Americana (1991 edition) notes: "The ancient world of Egypt, Greece, Rome, and Persia celebrated the birthdays of gods, kings, and nobles." It says that the Romans observed the birth of Artemis and the day of Apollo. In contrast, "although the ancient Israelis kept records of the ages of their male citizens, there is no evidence that they had any festivities on the anniversary of the birth date."

Other reference works go into considerable detail about the origin of birthday celebrations: ‘Birthday parties began years ago in Europe. People believed in good and evil spirits, sometimes called good and evil fairies. Everyone was afraid of these spirits, that they would cause harm to the birthday celebrant, and so he was surrounded by friends and relatives whose good wishes, and very presence, would protect him against the unknown dangers that the birthday held. Giving gifts brought even greater protection. Eating together provided a further safeguard and helped to bring the blessings of the good spirits. So the birthday party was originally intended to make a person safe from evil and to insure a good year to come.'-Birthday Parties Around the World, 1967.

The book explains, too, the origin of many birthday customs. For example: "The reason [for using candles] goes back to the early Greeks and Romans who thought that tapers or candles had magical qualities. They would offer prayers and make wishes to be carried up to the gods by the flames of candles. The gods would then send down their blessings and perhaps answer the prayers." Other such background information is collected on pages 69 and 70 of Reasoning From the Scriptures, published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.

As mentioned, however, more is involved in this question than whether celebrating birthdays was or still is religious. The Bible brings up the matter of birthdays, and mature Christians wisely are sensitive to any indications it gives.

God's servants of old noted when individuals were born, which allowed them to figure ages. We read: "Noah got to be five hundred years old. After that Noah became father to Shem, Ham and Japheth." "In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, . . . all the springs of the vast watery deep were broken open."-Genesis 5:32; 7:11; 11:10-26.

As even Jesus mentioned, among God's people childbirth was a blessed, happy event. (Luke 1:57, 58; 2:9-14; John 16:21) Yet, Jehovah's people did not memorialize the date of birth; they kept other anniversaries but not birthdays. (John 10:22, 23) Encyclopaedia Judaica says: "The celebration of birthdays is unknown in traditional Jewish ritual." Customs and Traditions of Israel observes: "The celebration of birthdays has been borrowed from the practices of other nations, as no mention is made of this custom among Jews either in The Bible, Talmud, or writings of the later Sages. In fact, it was an ancient Egyptian custom."

That Egyptian connection is clear from a birthday celebration related in the Bible, one that true worshipers were not observing. It was the birthday feast of the Pharaoh who ruled while Joseph was in an Egyptian prison. Some of those pagans may have been happy over the feast, yet the birthday was linked to the beheading of the chief of Pharaoh's bakers.-Genesis 40:1-22.

A similar unfavorable light is shed on the other birthday celebration described in the Scriptures-that of Herod Antipas, son of Herod the Great. This birthday celebration is hardly presented in the Bible as just innocent festivity. Rather, it occasioned the beheading of John the Baptizer. Then, "his disciples came up and removed the corpse and buried him and came and reported to Jesus," who ‘withdrew from there into a lonely place for isolation.' (Matthew 14:6-13) Do you imagine that those disciples or Jesus felt drawn to the practice of birthday celebrations?

Given the known origin of celebrating birthdays, and more important, the unfavorable light in which they are presented in the Bible, Jehovah's Witnesses have ample reason to abstain from the practice. They do not need to follow this worldly custom, for they can and do have happy meals any time during the year. Their gift giving is not obligatory or under the pressure of a party; it is spontaneous sharing of gifts at any time out of generosity and genuine affection.-Proverbs 17:8; Ecclesiastes 2:24; Luke 6:38; Acts 9:36, 39; 1 Corinthians 16:2, 3.

Bangalore

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

*** g76 7/8 pp. 27-28 What About Celebrating Birthdays? ***

What Is the Bible's View?

What About Celebrating Birthdays?

DO YOU enjoy getting together with loved ones? Gathering to ‘eat, drink and rejoice' in moderation receives favorable mention in the Bible. (Eccl. 8:15; 9:7; Job 1:2, 4, 5) The Scriptures tell of certain "feasts" that servants of God held on special occasions. (Gen. 19:3; 21:8; 2 Sam. 3:20; 1 Ki. 3:15) Through Moses, Jehovah commanded the nation of Israel to observe each year's joyful "seasonal festivals." (Lev. 23:2, 37, 38) Clearly, the Creator realizes the joy that can come from festive occasions.

This does not mean, however, that all types of celebrations meet God's approval. Many that are popular in the world today heap honor on persons and institutions that the Scriptures portray as ungodly. Frequently celebrations have roots in false religion. The Scriptures command worshipers of Jehovah to avoid any connection with false worship. (2 Cor. 6:14-18) What about celebrating birthdays?

According to the Bible, the day a baby was born was usually one of rejoicing and thanksgiving on the part of the parents. Rightly so, for, "Look! Sons are an inheritance from Jehovah; the fruitage of the belly is a reward." (Ps. 127:3; Luke 1:57, 58) It is clear too that during Bible times servants of God were aware of their time of birth. For example, the Scriptures specify the ages of Noah and Abraham at various points during their lives as well as giving their full ages at death. (Gen. 7:6, 11, 13; 9:28, 29; 12:4; 17:24; 25:7) Under the Mosaic law, members of the tribe of Levi kept records of their ages so as to know when they were old enough to begin serving at Jehovah's sanctuary. (Num. 4:46, 47) Does this suggest that worshipers of God back there held yearly birthday celebrations?

Persons who think so sometimes point to Job 1:4 and Hosea 7:5. The first of these texts mentions Job's seven sons holding "a banquet at the house of each one on his own day." The second tells of Israelite princes ‘sickening themselves because of wine' at a festival "on the day of our king." Were these festive occasions birthday parties? Evidently not. Professor G. Margoliouth writes in Hastings' Encyclopædia of Religion and Ethics: "The occasion of the feasting referred to in Job 14f. is not clear. As the seven days appear to have been consecutive, they could hardly have been birthdays." "The mention of the ‘day of our king' in Hos 75 may quite naturally be taken to refer to the anniversary of the king's accession to the throne."

Actually, the Bible mentions birthday celebrations only in the cases of Egypt's Pharaoh during the days of Joseph and Herod Antipas of the first century C.E. (Gen. 40:20; Matt. 14:6-11) These celebrations, however, appear in an unfavorable light, for both were held by persons who did not worship Jehovah. Professor Margoliouth further observes: "The birthday celebrations in the Herodian family . . . were, no doubt, an imitation of Græco-Roman customs of the time."

Interestingly, the same encyclopedia says of the ancient Greeks and Romans: "The giving of presents on particular occasions was often dictated by superstitious fears, as in the case of birthday-gifts?' The article notes that the practice of giving these gifts "was formerly accounted to possess a magic virtue."

It further explains that the special purpose of birthday celebrations in ancient Greece "was to invoke the aid of the Good Demon (agathos daimon) at a time when-on the border-line of two periods-evil spirits were especially prone to extend their influence."

In view of the pagan origin of many birthday customs and the fact that the only Scriptural accounts of birthday celebrations are in connection with false worshipers, neither the ancient Jews nor Christians early in the Common Era celebrated birthdays. Concerning the latter, historian Augustus Neander writes: "The notion of a birthday festival was far from the ideas of the Christians of this period in general." At about the middle of the third century C.E., Origen remarked in his commentary on Matthew, chapter 14: "Some one of those before us has observed what is written in Genesis about the birthday of Pharaoh, and has told that the worthless man who loves things connected with birth keeps birthday festivals; and we, taking this suggestion from him, find in no Scripture that a birthday was kept by a righteous man."

During the fourth century C.E. however, something happened to change matters. What? Professed Christians began celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ on the false date of December 25. The book Curiosities of Popular Customs points out: "With the celebration of Christ's Nativity returned the celebration of the nativities of ordinary mortals."

As noted at the beginning of this article, getting together with friends for joyful fellowship is a fine thing. As for gifts, Christians heed Jesus' counsel to "practice giving," for "there is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving." (Luke 6:38; Acts 20:35) The Bible does not establish rules as to when or how often during a year persons can enjoy such festivities. (Rom. 14:5) But good judgment and discretion are always in order.

The God-approved festivals mentioned in the Scriptures furnish helpful principles for Christians. These occasions were in honor of God and called attention to his mighty acts. (Deut. 16:1-15; Lev. 23:42, 43) The yearly celebration of the Memorial of Christ's death, too, centers attention on God and the role of Jesus Christ in God's purpose. (Matt. 26:26-29) On festive occasions, as at all other times, Christians must honor God.-1 Cor. 10:31; Rom. 14:6.

A birthday party, however, is a day set aside regularly, each year, to honor a human. Could not such a procedure easily result in excessive adulation of sinful creatures? (Rom. 3:23) When the apostle John fell down to worship before a sinless heavenly angel who had shown to John visions of future events, the angel cautioned: "Be careful! Do not do that! All I am is a fellow slave of you and of your brothers . . . Worship God." (Rev. 22:9) Are not we today even more inclined toward adulation of created persons?

The Word of God nowhere commands birthday celebrations, mentioning them only in connection with persons who did not worship the true God. (Gen. 40:20; Matt. 14:6-11) Because popular customs at birthday parties are rooted in pagan superstition, neither the ancient Jews nor early Christians celebrated birthdays. True Christians today, too, obey the command concerning false religious practices and those who engage in them: "‘Get out from among them, and separate yourselves,' says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing'; ‘and I will take you in.'"-2 Cor. 6:17.

Bangalore

• vientotz
    vientotz

@ScenicViewer --I was supposed to ask you that why you leave JW's, thanks for sharing =) based on your experienced. I understand, sorry for saying 'criticized' thumbright* for you! sorry..

I want to ask all JW's here some question and you guys who's quit to worship Jehovah--

If you don't mind, I wanna ask this, Why did you quit? Is it just because of that pagan belief's, tired of going door to door convincing other's, is their something behind this religion that we should know? (since i'm new here haven't read some post regarding about JW's) is it because if ever you quit they'll avoid you and consider you as 'sinner'? or is there some serious reason why you quit? (sorry im slow =/ )

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

@Bangalore

You have posted two long articles from Watchtower publications, but you have written no comments. Have you posted the articles because you are showing the double standards of Jehovah's Witnesses, which are present in these articles? Or are you supporting Jehovah's Witnesses and you believe these articles show sound thinking?

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

I do not support the JW position on birthdays. I was just answering Vientotz's question using JW's own publications. He can get the official WT viewpoint from these articles.

Bangalore

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

One scripture JWs avoid, downplay, or misapply:

One [man] judges one day as above another; another [man] judges one day as all others; let each [man] be fully convinced in his own mind. - Rom 14:5 (NWT)
  • vientotz
    vientotz

Thank Bangalore for this info from JW's =) but I want your own reasons and experienced to share it with me. I don't want to refer it from any publications or man made written basis-- (pls understand my english im not good in speaking english =)

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

I do not agree with the JW position on birthdays.

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit