why JWs doesn't celebrate birthday?

by vientotz 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

@ vientotz

I left the religion primarily for reasons related to issues of organizational dishonesty. I have learned that the Watchtower Society is one of the most dishonest religions ever devised.

For example, the Watchtower strongly condemns any sort of political involvement, because Christians are supposed to be 'no part of the world,' and the Society views any political arrangement as belonging to Satan the Devil. This includes the United Nations.

The WTS explains that the UN is the eighth political beast in the book of Revelation, the one described like this, "The wild beast that you saw was, but is not, and yet is..." (Rev 17:8). The WTS explains that the UN first appeared as the League of Nations, they went away during WWII, then came back as the United Nations, thus fulfilling that scripture. Here are some references showing the WTS' view of the political system, including the UN...

The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah -- How? (Book 1971)

"That symbolic dragon is identified as Satan the Devil, now ousted from heaven and playing the role of Gog of Magog. (Revelation 12:3, 4, 7-12) The symbolic wild beast is Satan’s entire political system world wide, to which this dragon gave “its power and its throne and great authority.” (Revelation 13:1, 2) The symbolic false prophet is a part of that worldwide political system and is pictured as the two-horned wild beast that engineers the creating of a political “image” of the first wild beast, for worship by the peoples. So the “false prophet” proves to be the Dual World Power of Britain and America, and the political “image” is today the United Nations as an international organization for world peace and security. So then, since the worldwide political organization, including the Anglo-American Dual World Power, gets its power, throne and authority from the dragon, Satan the Devil,he invisibly controls the whole political system."

Watchtower 11-15-2001

"Whether our hope is heavenly or earthly, we are no part of the world, and we are not infected by such spiritually deadly plagues as its immorality, materialism, false religion, and worship of “the wild beast” and its “image,” the United Nations."—Revelation 9:20, 21; 13:1-18; John 17:16

Watchtower 10-1-1995

"In Bible prophecy, human governments are often symbolized by wild beasts. (Daniel 7:6, 12, 23; 8:20-22) Hence, for many decades the Watchtower magazine has identified the wild beasts of Revelation chapters 13 and 17 with today’s worldly governments. This includes the United Nations, which is depicted in Revelation chapter 17 as a scarlet-colored beast with seven heads and ten horns.

Watchtower 4-15-1989

"Babylon the Great [the world empire of false religion], though weakened by her fall, has continued to pursue her harlotlike ways with the UN “beast.” For example, in June 1965, dignitaries from the world’s seven leading branches of religion, so-called Christian and non-Christian, said to represent one half of the world’s population, assembled in San Francisco to celebrate the UN’s 20th birthday."

After all this, the Watchtower was caught by an investigative reporter, having allied itself with the UN. Around 1991-1992 it became an NGO (non-governmental organization) supporter of the UN through the UN's DPI (department of public information). The WTS became an NGO secretely, none of the Witnesses knew about it. It now supported the very thing it condemned as belonging to Satan. It had also condemned other religious groups for supporting the UN, as well as for not being politically neutral in other ways.

When this was revealed, the WTS tried to explain it away by saying it only joined the UN to get library priveleges, an extremely lame excuse since many Jehovah's Witnesses around the world have given their lives to maintain political neutrality. (This is what I meant when I said most of the people are good, but the religion is bad.)

You can read about this affair here and here. Also, you can google 'Watchtower United Nations' and get more information than you will know what to do with.

A second example of organizational dishonesty is what I heard an elder say from the platform in my Kingdom Hall. He said, "The Society's position on blood has never changed." This refers to the WTS ban on medical use of blood.

That elder lied, and he knew it. There have been dozens and dozens of changes in the blood issue since it's beginning. For example, small pox vaccinations were once banned because the vaccine was derived from cow's blood, which contained the anti-bodies to fight cow pox. As it happened, those anti-bodies also worked on small pox in humans. Vaccinations are now permitted, but previously Witnesses dies due to the ban on vaccinations. Also, many Witnesses died because they could take neither red blood cell, nor hemoglobin, transfusions. Red blood cells are still banned, but hemoglobin is now accepted by the WTS. These are both very serious changes in the blood issue.

These are just two examples of Watchtower dishonesty that many Witnesses have noticed, but there are many! The WTS even believes it is proper to lie in the name of the Theocratic War Strategy, a belief that seems to make some sense at first, but it gets perverted into outright lying to cover any unpleasant issue. You can search that term in the Watchtower CD for references.

I believe in a full disclosure of information, knowing the full story about something, then deciding what you will do. The Watchtower will only give you partial information, or half the truth, about it's own beliefs and history. If you still want to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses after knowing everything, the whole story, I have no problem with it, but you will never get it all from the Watchtower. Read this forum and other internet sites to learn both sides of the Watchtower religion.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

@ Bangalore,

Thank you for explaining that.

• nugget
    nugget

Many JWs are nice people but they follow a religion that is more restrictive than most and allows no compromises. Birthdays are one example since as has been pointed out they feel that the bible does not show Birthdays in a positive light. They also argue that early christians did not celebrate because many of the customs have pagan origin and that birthdays make too much of one person.

I would suggest that a person may be given more attention on this one day giving people an opportunity to express their love and appreciation for them. however the person will also celebrate other people's birthdays throughout the year learning to show a generous spirit with no expectation of getting anything in return. Birthdays actually teach generosity.

What is more sinister than whether or not someone celebrates is the fact that once you become a witness celebrating birthdays or not is no longer optional. If you chose to celebrate you can be Disfellowshipped (excommunicated) and shunned because you engaged in a pagan custom. Witnesses would not speak to you and would ignore you. This is also true for other celebrations. You would not be able to mark your mums birthday or attend any family event that relates to birthday or Christmas.

Before getting too immersed in the religion learn a little more about it since it demands more of you than most other religions. You need to be sure that it is worthy of that level of sacrifice. Many here devoted decades to their teaching and later found it wanting and got out. Many here lost friends and family in the process because of the harsh doctrines we don't want you to make the same mistakes we did.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Vientotz - I am posting a new thread regarding birthdays with your name on it. Please read it and ask your elders to give you reasonable answers to the questions found therein.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The stated reason: The only 2 birthdays they recognize in the Bible resulted in someone getting their heads chopped off and served to the celebrant on a platter.

The real reason: It takes away from field circus and adds something worthwhile to people's lives (especially children). They don't want children to have anything but the a$$emblies and the REJECT Jesus Party, and pious-sneering, to look forward to. This is one reason why so many witless families have so few toys for their children--no toys means nothing better to do than endless field circus. And, having a party would give children a little something to look forward to--and possibly even miss the boasting session while they are at it.

This goes for other holidays. While other children get to play, the witlesses are trained to view that as wicked and leading to destruction. So, all they do is field circus. They see others out trick or treating, and all they can do is knock on doors to place rags (and not in the evening, either). They see all the Christmas decorations up, and they have a blah dreary home to go back to--so it's not worth going in from field circus. Other children are unwrapping Christmas presents, yet these children never get closer than the other side of the door watching them open them while out in field circus. And, if that's their only exposure to fun (watching it from the other side of the door), they "might be out in field circus and look at pious-sneering".

And yes, a toilet paper spent on birthday supplies (and holiday supplies) is a toilet paper not available for the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

@ Veintotz

I'm a little confused about something here. In this thread (your 8th post), you said

...even my mom disagree of having a bible study with them...

But in another post, here (your 11th post), you said

My main goal in joining JW's bible study is to be KIND XD especially to my mom!

So, are you having the study to please your Mom? Or is she against it?

• vientotz
    vientotz

ops sorry, what i mean-- my mom is against doing bible study with JW's because we are pure catholic. She's very faithful with our religion, she want to me join YFC (Youth For Christ) instead of studying the bible with them.

She even told me that if ever you'll be a JW's don't you ever ask me to throw my Statue Of Virgin Mary in the garden ! XD

My mom is the nicest person in the world even if she's not a JW's =)

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Vientotz, you have another PM.

• vientotz
    vientotz

yes @scenicviewer?

• vientotz
    vientotz

@scenicviewer -I just read your PM =) It's not that I don't get what you've said, hmm. =) All JW's are aware of that right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit