Why on earth would WT use a FEMALE lawyer to defend it in Australia case?

by hamsterbait 37 Replies latest social current

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Why not?

• rebel8
    rebel8

very good point, hamsterbait

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Band on the Run: I tried really hard to understand your post. I even read it twice, but--I'm guessing because of all your understandable anger--it just ends up being a rant in the form of a bullet-point list, however sans the actual bullets!

You state a lot of things that (at least in my mind) demand more information to understand but you don't explain. Some of your statements aren't even complete sentences, which is unusual for you. Tell us:

• Why did your father try to pull you out of high school?
    • Why did you have to face being placed in a foster home and never seeing your family?
    • Why would your father have stalked you and killed you?
    • Why were many local witnesses were leaving high school at young ages? When was this?
    • How were you able to attend an Ivy League college?

There is obviously a story here, probably a very interesting one, and I for one would like to hear more of it - probably you should make it a separate thread. I've read quite a lot of your posts here in JWN and usually you are very articulate and clear. But here you are not. There is just too much backstory missing from your post to clearly understand what you were trying to say.

Do you have a bio/intro post? If not, you should definitely do one. I'd read it!!!

Daniel

• meangirl
    meangirl

To try and look like they don't hate women and I think the word "use" answers that question.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Watch Tower women attorneysCarolyn R. Wah is one of Watch Tower's in-house lawyers and lives at the Patterson, NY JW complex. She specializes in child custody, sexual and domestic abuse cases. She’s also written miscellaneous articles about JWs for professional journals. Lisa Douglas as well as Erna Neufeld were also Watch Tower in-house attorneys as of 2003.

Michelle Dickinson of Ossining, NY, also made a commitment to Watch Tower to provide legal services, as well as Christine Benham of Guilford, Connecticut who was admitted to practice law in the State of New York.

Jolene Chu, writer and authorJolene Chu was brought into the Writing Department after I left. I was told that she replaced me. Chu was a reporter at the New York Times and worked with the NYTimes Religious Editor, Laurie Goodstein. She accepted an invitation to become a staff member at Watch Tower and told Ms. Goodstein that the pay at WT was better than at the NYTimes!

In time, Chu's specialty became the Nazi persecution of Jehovah's Witnesses and she has written considerable material on the subject for the Watch Tower organization that is listed by title at this website: http://www.jwhistory.net/english/publications.htm. Might I suggest that you read the text if it is offered such as:

"God's things and Caesar's: Jehovah's Witnesses and political neutrality. Journal of Genocide Research (2004), 6 (3), September, ppl. 319-42. text [Jolene Chu]"

Chu and James N. Pellechia, a Writing Dept. staff member of many years, teamed up to represent the Watch Tower in Holocaust circles, especially to try to get money for JW Holocaust victims from countries in Europe. I’ve been told that WT kindly asks for some of it as a donation because of doing the paperwork. I also heard of one particular case where a Holocaust victim, a JW elder, received a letter from the WT informing him that his name would be listed as a JW who was in a concentration camp and WT would apply for money in his name. The only problem was that this elder was not a JW when he was in the camp and told the WT so, but they insisted that his name should be listed. He's dead now and I don't have documentation to prove this claim, but the relative who told me the story saw the WT's letter.

Chu played an important part in the “Knocking” Documentary. To see a photo of Jolene Chu working on “Knocking,” scroll down to the fifth and sixth larger photos on the following website.

http://www.knocking.org/Filming_in_Austria_and_Poland.html

Here’s an article about Chu:

“Chu to Speak at Annual Kristallnacht Program

Researcher, archivist and writer Jolene Chu will be the featured speaker at Monroe Community College’s 12th annual Kristallnacht program on Monday, Nov. 10, 2003 at 7 p.m. The event is hosted by members of the Holocaust Genocide Studies Project and will be held in MCC’s new Campus Center, Monroe A/B meeting room, 1000 East Henrietta Road.

Chu’s presentation, entitled “Witnesses of the Holocaust, Witnesses to the Holocaust,” will explore the persecution of Jehovah’s Witnesses under the Nazi regime and their unique impact on history. In addition to her role as a member of the Editorial Department of the Watch Tower Society, Chu serves on the board of directors for the Jehovah’s Witness Holocaust-Era Survivor’s Fund, a survivor-assistance organization which coordinates humanitarian and social programs for Jehovah’s Witness survivors of Nazi persecution.
    The event is free and open to the public. Parking is available in Lots M/M1. For more information, please call 585.292.3321. Rosanna Condello, Public Affairs, 10/28/2003”

• Diest
    Diest

The woman lawyer does not make you look non culty anymore....My case in point....the Westburo Baptist Church Lawyer, Margie Phelps. Plus we all forget...free skiled labor is rare, the WT will always have a need for these women, regardless of their view of women.

There are also more women than men in the religion and more women are seeking higher education than men. These points will surely increase their numbers of high profile women.

• dgp
    dgp

This woman is obviously qualified to do the job. But I think everyone agrees on that. The question is why they would choose a qualified female attorney here when they disregard the qualifications of women in congregations and want women to be in submission.

The reasons could be several. She could be the best "person" for the job from the point of view of her qualifications only. Having a woman also offers some advantages because that makes the organization look less mysoginistic. But I wonder if that was the overriding reason.

I think that the Watchtower makes use of women in some positions for the simple fact that they are good at what they do, and they realize they would lose a lot more if they chose to ignore such qualified sisters. Johnny Depp, in his impersonation of Jack Sparrow, would word it as "what matters is whether you can, or you can't do something". Purely practical reasons. Now, I wonder what the women in question feel. I wonder if Ms Jolene Chu, for example, is aware of to what extent her own prominent role is an anomaly. I wonder if she does, among other reasons, so that the men in charge realize just how unfounded their treatment of women is.

Actually, I think that their using a female lawyer opens the door to some uncomfortable questioning of the way the "faithful and discreet slave" is organized. If a woman is good enough to defend the Watchtower interests' in court, how the hell is she not qualified to lead field service, for example? Or preach without a head covering?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My post is self-explanatory. I need not reveal all the intimate details of my life on this forum. First, I doubt other members are so interested. Second, it is prudent to retain a zone of privacy.I never volunteered to be interrogated as though another member has some legitimacy or jurisdiction over me. A nice request prob. would have elicited the info. you seek.

My opportunity to attend an Ivy League school breaks down into three components: 1. My high school grades, SAT scores, and extracurricular activities. I attended on merit with generous scholarships. It was cheaper for me to attend well endowed schools than to attend community or state college. I wish more families realized this point. 2. I attained a majority age and no longer needed parental consent. No judge was going to allow me to bag groceries and not go to college. 3. President Johnson's War Against Poverty targeted my ghetto school with federal funds. All the prestigious schools came to recruit black students and they could not ignore me. We had field trips to see colleges. In fact, we attended opera, ballet, and symphony performances and visited museums. All my close friends were in the same boat.

I must be triggering something in you for you to respond the way you did. The normal assumption would be that you think there is NO hypocrisy between the way rank and file members are treated and a small segment of privilege women. I wonder if these women earn their positions through merit. The observation that women play a huge role in administering the org. vs. the surface appearance is a very good observation, IMO. We tend to overlook. Women are the bulk of Witnesses.

Women Witnesses face a world similar to Jim Crow in the South. It is not an exact parallel but it fits. Step n fetch its exist.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

BOTR: Whoa, I was merely curious because your story seems intriguing and you left so many details out! You certainly don't need to reveal intimate details that you don't want to share, that's your prerogative, but when you publicly volunteer things about y our father like he:

• Tried to pull you out of high school
    • Tried to place you in a foster home and never seeing your family again
    • Stalked you and wanted to kill you

It just naturally raises some questions. Please, no need to take offense. I also didn't realize your are black until you just revealed it in your last post.

BTW, I am well aware of the dichotomy of the role of women in JW culture. You obviously have a unique perspective, certainly very different than mine. As the French say, "Vive la différence!"

Cheers,

Daniel

• Bella15
    Bella15

Funny that I also wondered why a woman lawyer! A WOMAN!!!! Defending GOD's organization on earth!!! I wonder if she is covering her head also to show respect to the "angels" or Jesus or God himself leading her!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit