Do the Governing Body members ever go Door-to-Door?

by 00DAD 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods

I went to a school for Congregation Overseers and Assistant Congregation Overseers in Pittsburgh, PA back in the winter of 1970.

One of the instructors was later GB member Schroeder.

He made claims of going door to door himself during the class. But, in talking with him more at length, it transpired that he and his wife did not go out with one of the local congregations - they had "their own territory". He went on to relate how he had found an old lady who would let them in and talk to them and I had the impression that his hours reported came from that "return visit" instead of legitimate door to door work.

Years later, when he had a stroke and was completely non-functional, somebody used to wheelo him out on the street at Brooklyn Bethel with a Watchtower pinned to his lapel so he could do "out of mind" street witnessing. Some Bethelite of that era posted this here.

So, my impression is that even if a few of them did do a tiny amount of door to door - it is a staged circumstance for appearances only.

Does anybody think the drunken old Judge went door to door with the record players, or set up one of his V-16 Caddilacs as a "sound car" to harras church members on Sunday mornings?

• Ding
    Ding

I wonder how they would do with a really well-informed householder who actually challenged them on something.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I know nothing about Herd but his photos strike me that he is a dandy for a Witness.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Dan Sydlick was visiting our area one time and a brother in our hall (kiss ass kind of elder) asked Sydlick if he would work with him in field service. The kiss ass brother related to me later that Sydlick told him he was on vacation.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    "Today, Holy Spirit is available to aid Christians, whatever their hope"

Just thought I would comment also on how ironic this caption was: Are they saying that Herd had heavenly hope, and the other guy had earthly hope, but they were both out in service together? LOL. There would not be any door to door service if the earthly hope people did not do 99.9999% of it.

If the holy spirit is on people with "earthly hope" too, then how come people with "heavenly hope" are running everything with an iron hand?

• lohengren
    lohengren

That photo is shockingly bad and I am really surprised that made it through final edits. Herd couldn't even be arsed to take a real fake field service photo? And how would you feel if you were "brother black guy" and were excited to have your photo in the WT only to see your face cut out and Herd's pasted in?

lmao

• 00DAD
    00DAD

ScenicViewer: Thanks for posting the additional info regarding evidence of photoshopping the picture.

It's so ridiculous that they would even do this! I mean, how hard would it be to get two brothers and a camera crew to jump in a car and head out of a quick shoot?

Seriously!!!

• james_woods
    james_woods

For old-timers on the board - this is far from the first time that suspect graphics have been published in their magazines.

One insider told the story of how they plaigerised a photo from an Italian paper of a woman in a jail cell, and then heavily edited her face to make her look even more pitiful. It was pretending to show a witness being persecuted - and IIRC the woman was not even a witness. I believe the photographer brought an action against them for unauthorized use of the photo.

• JRK
    JRK

ldrnomo,

I actually went out in door-to-door with Dan Sydlick, when he was visiting our congregation as host of a district convention in 1975. He actually was pretty cool for a GB; he didn't even rag on me for having a TransAm, as long as I was willing to use it in FS.

JK

• 00DAD
    00DAD

ScenicViewer: Do you have the link for the thread you referenced? I searched and couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Daniel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit