Do the Governing Body members ever go Door-to-Door?

by 00DAD 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

In his book, In Search of Christian Freedom, Ray Franz wrote that that GB members for the most part never participated in door-to-door work. They were "too busy with more important things." (Gee, how come that excuse wouldn't work for the rest of us?)

At any rate, I know there are a bunch of ex-Bethelites on the board here. Did any of you EVER see the GB guys go out in any form of field service?

Daniel

P.S. - It's not that I don't believe Ray, it's just always good to get a little independent corroboration!

• Gayle
    Gayle

Knorr a few times talked about a door to door call at 'morning text,' it sounded like the same call. So I would say not very often, they give public talks and could count that time. I doubt they 'turn' in time, and for sure, no one would have ever asked.

• lifestooshort
    lifestooshort

I served in brooklyn 1980-85 and the answer is no of course not! And they have personal assistant run their errends, and drive them where ever they need to go.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Luke 11:46:

Jesus said: “Woe also to YOU who are versed in the Law, because YOU load men with loads hard to be borne, but YOU yourselves do not touch the loads with one of YOUR fingers!"

Matthew 23:1 - 12:

Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying: 2 “The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the seat of Moses. 3 Therefore all the things they tell YOU, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds, for they say but do not perform. 4 They bind up heavy loads and put them upon the shoulders of men, but they themselves are not willing to budge them with their finger. 5 All the works they do they do to be viewed by men; for they broaden the [scripture-containing] cases that they wear as safeguards, and enlarge the fringes [of their garments]. 6 They like the most prominent place at evening meals and the front seats in the synagogues, 7 and the greetings in the marketplaces and to be called Rabbi by men. 8 But YOU, do not YOU be called Rabbi, for one is YOUR teacher, whereas all YOU are brothers. 9 Moreover, do not call anyone YOUR father on earth, for one is YOUR Father, the heavenly One. 10 Neither be called ‘leaders,’ for YOUR Leader is one, the Christ. 11 But the greatest one among YOU must be YOUR minister. 12 Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Gayle: they give public talks and could count that time

I forget when it changed, but it was something like around 10 years ago or so that congregation elders were only allowed to count 1 hour per month of Public Talks for Field Service.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

The photo of GB member Samuel Herd in field service, published in the 12-15-11 Watchtower, is 100% fake. Signs of Photoshop everywhere.

Does the WTS do this to mislead us into thinking that the GB is taking the lead in all aspects of Christian service?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

ScenicViewer: I heard about that pic but hadn't seen it. Thanks for bringing it up. I don't know if it's photoshopped or not, but it is definitely STAGED at the very least and really begs the question: Do the Governing Body members ever go Door-to-Door?

In fact, in the picture they aren't even going "Door-to-Door" are they? They're just enjoying a nice walk enjoying a pleasant day! How appropriate it's from ScenicViewer.

Daniel

PS - I'm thinking Sam Herd's "hope" is that the other brother pays for lunch when they're done with whatever it is they are doing! (See caption to the photo posted by ScenicViewer).

• glenster
    glenster

It's like trying to get ahold of the head of AT&T or the Mafia--the lower-downs
    insulate the higher-ups. If you try calling, you can only get a telemarketer or
    a punk.

• dozy
    dozy

Rutherford , apparently , never went out on the ministry.

My personal impression is that the enthusiasm that these "higher ups" display when giving talks on the convention program isn't matched by their personal zeal.

I do know a brother & his wife from the UK branch committee that often spent a free week twice a year in a holiday house in my congregations territory generously provided to him by a local JW. I organised the public talks at the time but he was always very reluctant to give one , without ever giving a reason ( you would drive past the house after the meeting & they would be sitting out in the garden enjoying the sunshine with a glass of wine. )

Occasionally I managed to persuade him to give a talk & the sisters used to ask his wife after his talk whether she would go on a study that afternoon or that week but she always had "other plans" (ie snoozing in front of the TV or doing some sight seeing.) They didn't even bother attending any of the meetings & wouldn't come on sunday unless he had a talk. It wasn't even as if they were on holiday and were looking to take things easy.

The congregation were always somewhat surprised at the lack of zeal from eitherof them - you would have thought that they would have at least attended all the meetings or gone out for an hour on ministry midweek to encourage the brothers.

An MTS graduate was very stumbled once when Milton Henschel , then the president of the WTBTS came to Malta to give a special talk. Other than giving the talk , he basically spent the whole time sight-seeing & living the lap of luxury in a 5 star hotel. The MTS graduate was so upset that he left the truth shortly afterward. http://www.freeminds.org/organization/post-franz/scandal-in-malta.html

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

...I don't know if it's photoshopped or not, but it is definitely STAGED

There was a thread on here re that photo with Herd. Several posters noticed things that weren't natural about the photo. A few are

-The lighting on the other man is mottled, sunlight and shadow, but the lighting on Herd is very smooth, probably studio.

-Herd's head seems to be pasted in, not natural looking.

-Issues with the grass.

-The other brother's hand seems to be missing. To cover it, fingers are put in on Herd's right shoulder as if that's where his hand is. Also, they are way too close to be walking in service. No two men walk so close together that their bodies are virtually touching each other.

-There is an issue at the bottom of the brothers bookbag, something the Photosho artist didn't clean up. Enlargement below.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit