An Old Argument.... does it hold water?

by AK - Jeff 1495 Replies latest jw experiences

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Yes. But not trust and love for God, obviously, right? You left that part out.

No I didn't. Trust and love for their fellow humans. Do you think it exists without belief in god?

Well, they can complain that their god is not answering them, but how can they complain that a god they don't believe in is not answering them?

They wouldn't, would they? The statement is that non-christian believers are SOL to a christian god because they don't follow christ. Do you agree or disagree? Does god answer the prayers of all believers?

If you do not call on god, then you're not praying to begin with, and so why would you complain that your non-prayers are not being answered?

Of course someone who doesn't pray wouldn't care that god isn't answering. Complaint against god is not the issue. It's to clarify the position of the christian belief in relation to other beliefs. If someone can be a good person regardless of their beliefs, are they any less deserving of kindness or consideration from god?

However, what I think you are actually asking (I could be wrong, please correct me if I am), is does God care more about people who believe in him and less about people who do not believe in him, but who might have the same amount of love in their hearts for their fellow man?

Yes, that is the question.

I don't think he loves them less, no. But we usually go to our own children first. Those who have our spirit and who are calling on us, because we are responsible for them first. Either through blood or a promise. (for us, we know our children by blood (and adoption)... for God, I believe that is by blood (jew, from a promise), and spirit (adoption/also by a promise) )

So the christian god plays favorites and only cares for those who believe in him?

Then we might invite all those others who have shown themselves to be our children, by the spirit of love in them. Out of the abundance of our love for them too.

I would propose that the idea of love and caring for others is not an idea exclusive to the christian god. Would you agree?

• tec
    tec

"When people of the nations due by NATURE the things of the Law, they ARE a law... unto themselves." Thus, the "sheep"... who do "good" to Christ's brothers. They do so BY NATURE... and, as a result, can have their prayers heard, as well:

Thus, witness accounts of prayers being heard and answered in all corners of the world.

Peace and thank you, Shelby. This bears repeating as well:

*****“Is not this the fast that I choose? To loosen the fetters of wickedness, to release the bands of the yoke bar, and to send away the crushed ones free, and that YOU people should tear in two every yoke bar? Is it not thedividing of your bread out to the hungry one, and that you should bring the afflicted, homeless people into [your] house? That, in case you should see someone naked, you must cover him, and that you should not hide yourself from your own flesh?

In that case your light would break forth just like the dawn; and speedily would recuperation spring up for you. And before you your righteousness would certainly walk; the very glory of JaHVeH would be your rear guard. In that caseyou would call, and JaHVeH himself would answer; you would cry for help, and he would say, ‘Here I am!’*****

Peace,

Tammy

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Is the bible the word of god?

No, dear Twitch (as always, peace to you!). My Lord, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit, JAHESHUA, the Chosen One of JAH (MischaJah) is the ONLY Word of God. As the Bible itself states in various places.

If so, then we should believe it and not any person's interpretation, yes?

If so, yes. Since it is not, though...

For by definition, any and every human cannot completely understand god.

God, no, not completely. His Son, though, yes. Completely. Which is what "the Bible" also states.

If not, then why bother knowing it at all?

I've asked that question many times. Unfortunately, some do "need" it. They either can't/don't/won't.... or have not yet learned to fully... walk by FAITH... versus by sight. The Bible appeals to the sense of sight: you know, for those who need to see a thing "in writing."

I hope this helps and, again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA, who says to dear, dear OUTLAW (the greatest of love and peace to you, my dear friend!): "No, you DI'NT post that pic of that lady eating KFC! HOO-WHEEE, someone needs to help that sistah OUT, poor thing, and not necessarily with her diet - something's "eating" HER!" (And to those who would say, "She just shouldn't even pick any chicken up"... I would say, anymore than the rest of us shouldn't do/pick up what WE do/pick up... and we ALL have something... regardless of what our individuals vessels might make it LOOK like! Thin isn't necessarily anymore "healthy" than fat - fat, however, just tends to SHOW unhealthiness more readily. But thin and otherwise "healthy" people die every day... of diseases they, too, could have avoided, so...).

• Jewel
    Jewel

..."The Most Holy One of Israel doesn't allow ANYONE to starve"...

Whew...that'll be a huge relief to those kids in Somalia (or the Congo, or North Korea) who only THOUGHT they were starving!

• tec
    tec

No I didn't. Trust and love for their fellow humans. Do you think it exists without belief in god?

I said yes to that.

They wouldn't, would they? The statement is that non-christian believers are SOL to a christian god because they don't follow christ. Do you agree or disagree?

Disagree. (not sure what you mean they are SOL about though) They may follow all the requirements of the law (of love) by nature. So by nature, follow the spirit of Christ (love, mercy, forgiveness, etc)

Does god answer the prayers of all believers?

Depends on the prayer, doesn't it?

So the christian god plays favorites and only cares for those who believe in him?

That is the opposite of what I said. Or at least what I meant, if I was unclear in what I said.

I would propose that the idea of love and caring for others is not an idea exclusive to the christian god. Would you agree?

Of course.

Peace,

Tammy

• N.drew
    N.drew

The world is not ours to change, but I believe the air is our's to change. That was the point of my piece of thesis that nobody got. The Earth belongs to "the sons of man". Tammy is right! Earth's problems are our problems. They are too big. Yes, they are. But the problems are not too big for Jaheshua!! He is our helper.

Should I explain my piece of thesis?

• AGuest
    AGuest
    that'll be a huge relief to those kids in Somalia (or the Congo, or North Korea) who only THOUGHT they were starving!

Yes, and someone should most probably look into who IS allowing it, dear Jewel (peace to you!), considering how much food is wasted elsewhere. May I ask, what did YOU have for breakfast this morning... and did YOU follow the "law" of love... and send some to Somalia? No, of course you didn't. God didn't ALLOW you to... right?

Peace. Truly.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Back to the question:

Estimates range from 4 million to 15 million children die from starvation each year on this planet. That's between 500 and 1700 children a day,

depending on what numbers you accept. Still no matter what numbers you use, doesn't this make you arrive at one of the following conclusions?

Sorry, Jeff - from my perspective, your 3 choices represent NONE of the conclusions I reach based on your scenario.

I am a "believer", perhaps not a "Christian", although brought up as a JW. Do I have absolute proof God exists? That he is omnipotent? That he is all-seeing? That he is the Creator? NO. But I am prepared to live with doubt, minus your logical proofs for the duration as it is my belief that the absence of proof is not proof of absence.

I do sense an extreme new version of the 'us' vs. 'them' mentality in your tarring and feathering of all those who don't agree with one or other of your 3 choices. Lighten up a little!

And again, I keep this open mind and 'belief', if that is what you call it, not for some hope of reward, but because I have become more tolerant of possibilities (of every stripe) since leaving the Witnesses. All you cocksure scientists/literalists/may one day have to eat your words - better to leave your options open in my view and allow for a little of the mystic. My 2 cents plus.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Earth's problems are our problems.

Which, although some atheists attest to, others seem to deny (and blame God), dear N.drew (again, peace to you!). Which makes absolutely NO sense at all to ME. Especially when they say, in one breath, the problems are for man to solve, while saying, in another breath, that man's problems are God's fault. The dichotomy sounds just a tad... infeasible... if not insane... to ME.

Ah, well...

Again, peace to you, dear one!

YOUR servant, sister, and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Morning ((Shelby!))..

Ya the last thing that girl needs is another leg of Chicken..LOL!!..

I figured a Little KFC would lighten the mood..LOL!!..

I`ve never figured out why some people can`t let others believe in or talk to Jesus..

I`m Agnostic your a Christian..

In all our years as friends,we`ve never had a problem with that..

And..

I`m eating Chinese tonight..

I`ve got him locked in the Basement till dinner time..

Geezus he`s annoyingly loud..

"Let me out..Let me Out!..Let me OUT!!!.."

I might have to eat him for lunch just to shut him up..

........................ ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit