An Old Argument.... does it hold water?

by AK - Jeff 1495 Replies latest jw experiences

• sizemik
    sizemik

Whatever and however much our concept of an object may contain, we must go outside the concept if we're to attribute the object with existence - Kant

C/- leavingwt's thread - worth visiting in relation to this thread . . .

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/217967/1/Morality-3-Of-Objectivity-and-Oughtness-YouTube

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

so what I get from this thread is that the problem of evil is as much a problem for God as it is for man? God suffers while we suffer. If changes need to come then this involves intense suffering.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I'm not playing peacemaker here but I've met in person Jeff, Jerry, and Shelby and I have to admit that I like all of y'all and for me that's saying something cuz I don't instantly like hardly anyone. I hazard to guess if you guys met each other in person you might like each other too. Can't you all just agree to disagree?

Thanx for that MrsJones. In honesty, I think I would like everyone here in person, over a beer or BBQ, discussing the weather and the latest sporting event. Every poster on this thread would be welcome in my house anytime. I mean that. I hold no grudges.

In philosophical debate, things get heated. But I have no enemies here, and seek to make none. But interesting discussions cannot often come from full agreement. 'Tis the spice of life.

Peace to all, especially to the peacemaker. I think we will all part amicably from this thread, if it shall ever end......

Jeff

• sizemik
    sizemik
    I think we will all part amicably from this thread, if it shall ever end...... AKJ

We're all looking for similar answers albeit having rather different biases. None really knows for a certainty. There have been a number of discussions within discussions, and this thread has taken some very interesting twists and turns, which I have found quite enlightening. That's the parting impression I'm left with, rather than any hard feelings that might have been generated. It's been a good thread IMO. I'm grateful to all who contributed. Thanks Jeff, for raisng the subject.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Good morning! I was going to let the thread alone because the conclusion was nicely done. But I don't like "Smug" and Glib" so hello!

Meet Smug-having or showing pride in one's own achievment

And Glib-insincere and shallow.

Not nice.

Do you not hear us say it is not by our own achievment? Oh look I found something!!!! Big fucking deal. So go find another one fool. But..but.. there isn't another one!

Glib is just plain mean. Are you joking about my ring theory?

• N.drew
    N.drew

Ditto! I totally agree.

So what is called smug and glib is happy and holy.

Shame on you.

• tec
    tec

Those people aren't saying "I don't know" . . . they're saying "I know better than you" . . . and are the opposite of "I don't know" in the context I referred to it.

True, and I'm glad you clarified.

When we become convinced of something . . . it carries a smugness and glibness along with it . . . it's human nature. Accepting that, and making allowance for it in ourselves and others, helps us to see issues more clearly . . . and debate them, rather than simply defending what we currently believe.

It can carry a smugness and glibness along with it, true. Sometimes someone can also perceive something in someone else that is not there. Especially here, over an internet forum. No voice inflection, no body language... its a lot easier here to read something that was not meant.

In respect to the OP . . . there have been very few answers here to the subject itself. A huge number of responses, and countless assertions, defending currently held beliefs . . . but few actual answers. That's just my opinion.

I don't think there can be any help for that. The OP response to the 'age old argument' is no more than an assertation as well.

Peace to all,

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Just one thing to be clear and that is that Shelby did not make up the name Jahesuha.

While it can be spelled a few different way in hebrew ( as many hebrew names can because of phonetics and the "flexible" vowels), it i s quite correct.

Some prefer to use the Y to make sure the "soft J" is pronunce instead of it being a "hard" J - Yaheshua and some prefer the spelling Yehshua because of how it reads phonetically.

The correct english translation is Joshua and ( and I knwo that Shelby disagrees with this) Joshua in greek is Iesous which gives us Jesus in english.

That Jahesuha is the "more correct" rendering of Christ name is NOT in doubt.

• TheUbermensch
    TheUbermensch
    Do you not hear us say it is not by our own achievment? Oh look I found something!!!! Big fucking deal. So go find another one fool. But..but.. there isn't another one!

Temper, temper.

By the way N.Drew, Shakespeare was/is not considered a philosopher, he was a playwright/poet.

You realize there are tons of philosophers that believe in God correct? Aquinas, Kierkegaard (you'd really like Kierkegaard, he was a hardcore independent Christian that didn't subscribe to any dogmatic church, or any church at all for that matter).

sizemik, excellent usage of Kant's genius.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Och! Your hurting my head Mr. Uber.

A playright and poet? Nevermind!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit