An Old Argument.... does it hold water?

by AK - Jeff 1495 Replies latest jw experiences

• N.drew
    N.drew

I personally do not lump all non-believers together like you all seem to love to do. I do not lump anyone together as it does remind me of the trains full of people heading for destuction by no fault of their own.

I seem to have gone to the next page, but my previous post points out the things you say UBER that I find much more offensive than "shut up".

???????????????????

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Insulting maybe Nancy - but can you fairly dispute the stated opinions? [Not mine btw, and I didn't look to see who said them.]

Jeff

• Twitch
    Twitch
    I find it curious that often they state that the more aggressive atheist community to be guilty of 'being stuck in the JW mindset' - of course referring to dogmatism. But the facts seem to show otherwise. It is the believers who act more in that manner - unable and unwilling to consider facts, favoring instead a magical-mystical world, limiting themselves to propaganda that supports their point of view, and ignoring available evidence that shows the initial premise of this thread to be solid.

Indeed. That ol' JW card gets played a lot it seems, especially by those of faith to those who've broken away from belief in spirits and sky daddies. It's somehow justified in promoting one's faith and belief to the world at large yet if a different view on the subject is presented, it's close minded and reminiscent of dogmatism. Kinda ironic actually.

The OP assertion and logic behind it still stands beyond any reasonable doubt IMO

• TheUbermensch
    TheUbermensch

ahahahahahaha. Spare me the guilt trip, please N.drew.

Do you find facts insulting? That's what I was stating in those posts you love to take out of context. That post was a message to fellow non-believers.

Millions of people HAVE, DO, and WILL die because of religion, either through wars (my sky daddy is more powerful than yours) or some other horrid thing that dogmatic people would do to prove the existence of their God, or the power of their God. People ARE living in delusion, not only religious but psychologic. It's my point of view and contention when it comes to believers.

And I'm sorry, anywhere in the posts from last week did I make a personal statement towards you N.drew? Like this one?

"And you, uber, so many words for nanananan, I'm right and your wrong. Stupid stupid. Sigh."

HA. YOU are the one that made it personal. I was just posting arguments, got frustrated and posted about my frustrations. So touchy about the fact that your god has allowed millions of wrongful, pointless deaths?

Your arguments are silly and unthoughtful. You post more offensive things than anyone else through this entire thread, and then claim to be sooooo insulted by someone talking about death by religion (i.e. the Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, Witch Hunts, etc.) that ACTUALLY happens.

You are quite hilarious.

• TheUbermensch
    TheUbermensch

Hope I didn't hurt your feelings too much N.drew. ahahaha

And those were my posts AK-Jeff.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I try! The flowers (sometimes words are so funny, I shall cause the mistake to remain) followers of Jesus are against the lie, all the lies. I am sarcastic and might disappear because of it (fair thee well my friends!) but I'm wild angry at the very same things you are. Some of you believe if you can rid the world of spiritual imagination, the world will be a better place. Take that same pattern and put in on top of every other extermination that was. How many times has someone explained on any web forum Jesus=Peace. But he is not working fast enough? Or is Peace just struggling to survive?

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Have you followed your own statement to it's conclusion, in regards to the big picture of your existence and the other 6.9999 billion people on earth?

I have, dear Jay (again, peace to you!).

Dear Q... peace to you... and all of the things you wish to see "corrected" WILL be. That is the POINT! That is what the kingdom of God is ABOUT: NO more mourning, outcry, pain... or death. Which means no more sickness, hunger, war, etc. That such hasn't occurred NOW... is for OUR benefit. How so? Because all of these are related to the FLESH, the PHYSICAL body. When the time comes and all who live do so in SPIRIT bodies... "white robes"... all that you see as "suffering" won't exist. Spirit beings... don't suffer so.

Again, peace to you both!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• TheUbermensch
    TheUbermensch

We believe that the world would be a better place when rid of spiritual imagination because of a simple, logical, idea.

Most religions contain another life, and that is the core of it's belief system. This takes away from the value of THIS life, a life that is the only life we have (the conclusion of every atheist on Earth).

Imagine every human being that has ever lived. Imagine the percentage of those human beings who were at one time or another part of a religion. Imagine the hours of just ONE person's life that they put into worship, prayer, and study.

Let's take the average Roman Catholic. A Roman Catholic usually attends church every Sunday, and prays before every meal, and sometimes before bed. Let's just take the mass on every Sunday. A Sunday mass is one hour. Multiply that hour by 52 weeks in the year. Let's say this Roman Catholic lives to a pretty normal age, let's say 80. Multiply the 52 hours per every week by 80. Divide that answer (4160 hours) by 24 and you will end up with about 173. 173 days (almost half a year) of someone's life has been utilized by the belief in a dogmatic religion. This excludes prayer and personal worship, as well as study. Now imagine this Catholic that has certain choices for what he can do in life, and one of them is to become a professor of philosophy. One who can publish his own work, one whom can possibly change the world, and yet he doesn't because it might question their faith (this actually happened to my grandmother, she took zero philosophy courses throught her college career for the same reason). What would've happened if he HAD become a philosophy professor, or if he had published philosophical works? We won't ever know. And this is just ONE person.

Think of the millions of priests, bishops, popes, deacons, and believers (billions really). Think of all the years, the hundreds of thousands of years spent on their religion. And then imagine that one day, we find one piece of evidence that disproves God. All of that wasted time that could've been spent on finding cures for horrid diseases (allowed by your deity), improving the contemporary technology of their time, but no, they went to church, studied their holy book, and prayed to their select man in the clouds.

The world WOULD be a better place then it is now. It is so logically probable that that statement is known to be fact in the world of science.

You act as if you've never actually thought about this. One who is so rigid in their beliefs that it is so absolute, that when questioned about it, interviewed, argued with, one resorts to acts of sarcasm and condescension, and THEN talks about how insulting a post was that was backed up by logical probabilities and scientific/historical fact? Ridiculous.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    AGuest writes way to much

My sincere apologies, dear Uber (peace to you!). I admit I am verbose...

breaks every single post down that way

Well, that's because I've often been accused of skirting an issue, dodging a question, not responding to a specific matter, etc. This way, I respond directly to that is stated/directed to me. Nothing gets missed... and I tend to generalize less.

(he or she? again... dunno)

She, dear one (as the little pink "female" symbol by my avatar name indicates). As is dear tec and N.drew (peace to you ladies, as well!). No worries: I am often mistaken for a "brother" (shudder!)...

can use it out of context for her/his interests.

Can you give me an example of this, please? Because otherwise I must disagree...

AK Jeff, sizemik, OnTheWayOut, and especially Qcmbr

All boyz. Interesting (to me)... in light of how the women reacted when my Lord was impaled...and subsequently raised... and how the men reacted... as to both. Yes... I know there are exceptions to almost every rule, including this one. But interesting, still...

Anyway, I hope this all clarifies and, again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA, who does generalize... from time to time...

• N.drew
    N.drew

What? My mom and dad did not fit the senario you present. They did not spend much more than one day a week (for a time) and holidays invested in their (actuall,y her) belief system. I did not come close to my potential. How many more are like me? So many more. Because of their race, their neigborhood, their country, their countries government, their health, their parents or lack of, their money (or usually lack of), bad experiences cause by people who do not believe in god, (sigh, hit me now), their lack of education, their own selfishness, their own lack of imagination, their own choices.... they did not cure something or other.

And I would like to point out what Simon has done here. This forum is wonderful! More wonderful than any book you say might have been written. Are people listening? It appears they are not.

By the way, I have not called anyone wrong about their beliefs, and I might defend myself and say I do not believe you are wrong. How can we both be right? I don't know. But it is possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit