An Old Argument.... does it hold water?

by AK - Jeff 1495 Replies latest jw experiences

• N.drew
    N.drew

And I am sure you must be proud of your blanket judging, all theists are delusional, all jews are bad? That's gross what Hitler said and you are mean for comparing what I said to that. I enjoy posting, if you did not post, what would I post? See? I mean, see? You post, I post, you post, I post, and I'm Hitler. Shut up!

• tec
    tec

I find it funny that people are warned (a non believer no less) about rules concerning insulting posts when I've read about 20 posts from N.Drew, and Tec (especially N.Drew) and yet NO ONE warns them.

Do please tell me where I have broken a single posting guideline, especially one about insulting others. Please. I will absolutely apologize to that person.

Peace,

Tammy

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

*Sigh* damn...

"And again, why is there suffering? Because of OUR decisions.

I'm sure there are variables that I cannot even think of.

Peace,

Tammy"

I HATE being the LAST poster on a thread, 'cause it makes me feel weird, but...I hope I'm last this time. I did read only the first 5 pages. It seems that every view was expressed, except mine, although SizeMik touched on it: "...only ONE man made that choice..." (close)

IF...a god exists, IF it's the Biblical one and IF the story of Adam & Eve is true...then, God himself is responsible for my suffering and yours! How?

We are supposed to emulate God, in ways that we can -- such as justice, empathy, Love...right ? Then, how is it justice for ME or YOU or the BILLIONS of people who have lived, died, suffered from disease, wars, volcanoes, tsunami's...? It was not their fault, it's not MY fault that some "petty crime" people thousands of years ago (bible) committed.

We have better justice among ourselves, WE do not punish the children for the 'sins' of the father.

God itself had to tamper with Adam & Eve's DNA in order to make them die. He could have used His big foot and squashed them -- then, start over on His little project gone wrong.

I do not deserve any punishment at all for what Adam & Eve did, nor would I be responsible if it was my own parents.

And that's all I have to say on that subject.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Many apologies, I didn't notice that symbol.

Yes, I understand, dear Uber (again, peace to you!). Sometimes it's the little, even tiny, details that can enlighten us, yes, and keep us from asking/making unnecessary/incorrect questions/comments...

Are you accusing my of misogyny or chauvinism simply because the nonbelievers on this thread coincidentally happen to be all male? Interesting (to me).

Of course not, dear one. Just making an observation as to the similarities of the two events. No need to take offense as none was intended.

No evidence is required to prove taking something out of context. It's a logical statement that the breaking down of something takes away from the overall whole. For instance a piece of apple is not AN apple.

I would disagree on the grounds that your statement isn't quite accurate. A piece of apple is not a WHOLE apple, true; however, a piece of apple... is apple... through and through.

By saying that you break down a post for your own interests I do not always mean negative interests. It may make it easier, but personally, I would prefer you respond to the whole rather than pick and choose what to respond to and what not to.

I didn't take it negatively, truly (others have made the same observation)... and I totally understand what you might "prefer"; however, my style is my style, after all. If I were to give in and post pursuant to who others want me to... well, it wouldn't be MY style any longer, would it? So, as with much of what's been said here, you have a choice. To read my comments/responses... or not. I truly will not be offended if you find that you can't/don't want to. Because I am all FOR free will, dear one. In every case.

And a quick question (sorry if you've posted it somewhere else or on this thread and I haven't noticed it) do believe in the New Testament AND the Old Testament? Or no or... ?

Based on what's written in both (by Jeremiah and as to what my Lord is recorded to have said) I believe in the credibility of SOME of both... and the FALSEHOOD... and misleadings... of some of both. I mean, if the Bible says the stylus of the scribes worked in "sheer falsehood"... and Christ is recorded to have condemned the "scribes"... seems logical to ME... that some of what's in there CAN'T be valid. Doesn't matter what the Bible says, though, as I go by what my Lord himself said to me:

"All that I tell you is written [but not necessarily in the Bible], but not all that is written [including in the Bible] is what I will tell you."

Hence, it's much better to let the anointing teach one, isn't it? Which IS what the Bible says should occur...

I am an evolutionary naturilist and you are a theistic cognitivist. I find joy in the natural world, what I can see before my eyes, and what I can feel with my hands. You find joy in the world of metaphysics and the paranormal.

I realize you were addressing dear N.drew (peace to you, dear one!), but since you're generalizing I would like to respond: I also find joy in the natural world, what I can see before my eyes and feel with my hands. The earth was MADE for man, so it makes sense that we can... and should... enjoy what it is and offers. What I DON'T do, however, that is different from you... is LIMIT my joy to that world. Rather, I find joy in it (as my Lord said of the lilies... "Not even Solomon, in all his glory, was arrayed as one of these!")... AS WELL AS in the world "above" this one. True, I find greater joy in the latter, but that's because there is no mourning, outcry, pain, death, sin, hate, etc., in that world (there is in the one between... as well as the one below the one below - the "pit").

Supernatural occurrences are not real to me.

Yes, but that's YOUR limitation, is it not? "We" who do not limit ourselves to the physical world get to enjoy BOTH, while "you" only recognize... and so enjoy one. And even then your joy is quite limited. If you would condescend to WIDEN OUT, however... well, who knows to what extent YOUR joy will "abound"? Open your mind, dear one. You do this by opening your heart.

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest
    We have better justice among ourselves, WE do not punish the children for the 'sins' of the father.

Surely, you gest, dear Rabbit (peace to you!). I don't the children who suffer as a result of war would agree with that...

God itself had to tamper with Adam & Eve's DNA in order to make them die.

Yes. To save YOU...

He could have used His big foot and squashed them -- then, start over on His little project gone wrong.

But then, where would YOU be? Non-existent... and unable to take "issue" as you are now. Hmmmmm... maybe that WOULD have been better. Although, not so good for YOUR kids/grandkids, etc...

I do not deserve any punishment at all for what Adam & Eve did, nor would I be responsible if it was my own parents.

God is NOT punishing you, dear one. Adham SOLD you into punishment - HE sold you to DEATH. I love that you believe the Most Holy One of Israel only needed to snap His fingers and poof! all that Adham did would disappear. But YOU would have disappeared, too, dear one. Instead, though, you have been given a chance to LIVE... first in the flesh (which may be temporary) and LATER as a spirit (which may be eternal). I get that you don't get... or want... that. But, please... don't try to make the same decision for the rest of us. Leave us, please... with our free will to make the CHOICE.

I HATE being the LAST poster on a thread, 'cause it makes me feel weird, but...I hope I'm last this time.

Sorry to burst your bubble, dear one. Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• still thinking
    still thinking

TheUbermensch...Did you find Mein Kampf an interesting read...I have been thinking about reading it just to try and understand the mans mind, and how someone could be like that...would you recommend the book?

Sorry for the off topic...back to it everyone

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Some of you believe if you can rid the world of spiritual imagination, the world will be a better place. . . . N.drew

You're telling people what they believe? I don't recall "ridding the world of spiritual imagination" as being recommended by anyone.

But here's the thing . . . "religion" robs the world of spiritual imagination . . . not atheism. How so? . . . because it locks peoples thinking into a set of intransigent beliefs based on ancient perceptions. Religious people often don't imagine anything spiritual because they're already mentally transfixed with a personal set of absolutes. Only those who free the mind of silly pre-conceptions which have no supporting evidence can engage the imagination. Imagination is in fact the whole motivational impetus of science . . . not religion. Religion stops imagination . . . or saves you having to use it if your lazy minded.

If the scientist receives new irrefutable evidence, he will adjust his current beliefs to accommodate it. If the religionist receives new irrefutable evidence, he will find every way possible to reject it in favour of his current beliefs . . . because he has switched off his spiritual imagination.

Imagination and self delusion are two different things.

• N.drew
    N.drew

This is what I heard from Q. And really aren't you all trying to debate us away from "delusion"? If you are not doing that, then what are you doing?

I don't think anyone is advocating a better world without believers. It is a better world without belief. Even you must agree that most beliefs historically and culturally are rubbish (Thor) ergo people are unable to differentiate between belief in something true and belief in something false ( without recourse to the scientific method.)

Where would society be now if people had never worshipped Thor and had instead spent that energy and time in scientific research? I suspect you'll see where this is going. Billions of minds pouring their energy into discoveries that will benefit future generations v people selfishly searching for personal supernatural fulfilment?

• N.drew
    N.drew

My imagination is GOD. You say belief in God is delusional. Therefore from my prospective I hear you say Nancy's imagination=delusion.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    The process of scientific discovery is, in effect, a continual flight from wonder. - Albert Einstein

There are two ways to use your imagination . . . as an implement of exploration . . . or as an instrument of belief. Broadly speaking that is what has emerged on this thread . . . explorers and believers.

Explorers have used their imagination to great benefit . . . to discover new lands, new truths and new ways of doing things. Believers have always followed them a few steps behind . . . ready to start their conflicts and wars.

Sorry if that sounds harsh . . . but that's the way I currently see it. I am ever ready, of course, to adjust my opinion based on new irrefutable evidence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit