How long did Conventions used to be?

by donuthole 78 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Teary Oberon
    Teary Oberon

Teary showed some of the comments here to his grandparents and some older folks, and yeah, guess what the general gist of the remarks were?

"People these days are just big pansies -- they are pampered and nowhere near as tough as in the old days."

• sabastious
    sabastious
    "People these days are just big pansies -- they are pampered and nowhere near as tough as in the old days."

A fine way to justify wasting copious amounts of one's life at conventions where their sole purpose is to indoctrinate the mind or to solidify past indoctrination.

-Sab

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Teary showed some of the comments here to his grandparents and some older folks, and yeah, guess what the general gist of the remarks were?
    "People these days are just big pansies -- they are pampered and nowhere near as tough as in the old days."....teary

The coventions now adays are much tougher..More policing ..

No food..

Back in the day conventions at least had Some fun to them..

I don`t think you talked to anyone..You just pulled another pointless comment out of your ass..

......................;-)...OUTLAW

• designs
    designs

Farkel- You're hilarious, I like the CDC took that van into protective custody...

• Teary Oberon
    Teary Oberon

"A fine way to justify wasting copious amounts of one's life at conventions where their sole purpose is to indoctrinate the mind or to solidify past indoctrination."

Didn't didn't even mention that they were JW conventions. They were simply commenting on y'alls whining and complaining.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Didn't didn't even mention that they were JW conventions. They were simply commenting on y'alls whining and complaining.....Teary

....................;-)...OUTLAW

• blondie
    blondie

1963 "highlights"

Harold King was released from prison in China and came to the Rose Bowl and spoke.

I think the BTG book was released and the Scripture Inspired book.

Fred Franz went over 45 minutes with the last talk.

I tasted my first taco and swam in a heated pool. We went to Disneyland and a couple of other tourist attractions (missing 2 days of the convention!).

• undercover
    undercover

I had family that went to Yankee Stadium and/or the Polo Grounds in 58, I think it was.

My first large 7/8 day was Atlanta, late 60s... can't remember the exact year. 68? maybe? At the old Fulton Co. Stadium (now a parking lot for Turner Field). Damn hot. I mean, it's Atlanta in the summer. My mom got so sunburned it made her ill and she ended up missing a couple of sessions.

I remember the food tents, standing at tables too tall for a kid to be able to reach up and eat his over cooked powdered eggs.

It was my first trip to a big city (y'all New Yorkers don't laugh) and I was scared shitless by the traffic and the downtown buildings... and we had to wear signs and walk around handing out handbills.

It was a PTSD inducing experience, I can tell ya that...

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Wow Blondie...thanks for the memory refresh! I do have to admit that even at the age of 12, I found Harold King's story about being imprisoned in China quite compelling. On the other hand, I wanted to swallow my gun during Freddie's talks...didn't he also do the closing prayer? (I recall it being a 20 minute long monologue!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit