How long did Conventions used to be?

by donuthole 78 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• designs
    designs

TYA- Hey we were Tent Buddies, lol. We were over in the Tent slicing and dicing veges. We had gotten behind on cutting up Cabbage for Cole-Slaw so my dad and some buddies hooked up the Ice Shaving machine and started tossing Cabbage Heads at it with my dad standing behind with a tarp and shop coat kind of like a Cather at Home Plate. After about an hour we had all of the sliced Cabbage for lunch and you couldn't see my dad he was covered like a snow man.

Wasa- I was there at Candlestick in 66, it was the only Assembly where you got Chills and a Wind Burn.

• KingDavidwasframed
    KingDavidwasframed

I remember Montreal in 77 I think. We stayed in the tent city with the army style showers in the train yard. It was long enough I remember.

• clarity
    clarity

Designs, I can just see that happening! So funny, wish I could use Zids little immoticons ... I'd pick the little guy rolling around, pounding his fist, giggling his head off! hahahahahhahahhaha

• watson
    watson

I notice a lot of Rose Bowl and Candlestick buddies here. Who knows, maybe we ran into each other in the kitchen, or out and about with our trays of Shasta Cola!

• Incognito
    Incognito

The longest 'conventions' I remember were 8 days. In those days, they would typically start at 9 or 9:30 in the morning and end at 9pm except for the final day which was 5 or 6pm. It probably ended at 5 but after the final long winded prayer, it was so much later. As a child, the convention seemed to last forever and the final prayer was an act of torture.

Larger conventions were usually a distance from home for us. I can recall one being 300 miles away in Ottawa but there were a few that were about 110+ miles each way, over the border well into Buffalo, NY. The Buffalo ones went to 9pm and as there was a shortage of accommodations, we drove each day in August heat with no A/C while fully dressed for the 'program'. By the time we were home, it was midnight only to be up again early (5am) the next same day to do it all again.

As there wasn't enough parking at the convention site, we sometimes would park in Fort Erie and take one of W/T hired school bus shuttles the remaining distance to the convention.

One time, when we were driving the entire distance, we gave a ride to a visiting Sister that was originally from Bahamas or some other tropical location. At the border, she wasn't permitted entry into the USA as she didn't bring along the required documents so we left her there and carried-on to the convention. I don't recall what became of her.

Later there were a few international conventions at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal. Although in 1984 there was a more local one held in London, Ontario, we were good and obedient lemmings and attended the one we were assigned. What hell that was.

Anyone remember the big 'THRILL' of seeing other cars on the highway that displayed YHWH or had a 'Watchtower' taped to the rear window?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Too young for those conventions. Thank God. Sounds like an absolutely horrible experience.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Its a lot harder to sell this kind of Bullshit to the public now days, religious or otherwise.

So the Conventions like so much of this organization is paring down.

I attended a International convention in Vancouver BC Canada in 1969 that lasted 8 days if my memory serves my right.

What a long drawn out pain in the ass that was, sitting in the summer sun on hard wooden benches for hours and listening to PA

system that was quite inadequate.

The best thing about conventions is when it was realized it was all over.

The happiest moment but you were very careful to not expose that.

Quite the hardship for people to come from out of town for that length of time.

• mouthy
    mouthy

clarity You asked did I learn anything???Two things!!

1.Smoking wasnt good for you-so I quit to get baptised.
    2.When some one tell me they have a "truth"to tell.
    I dont always believe them....I dont trust ANYONE now!!!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Anyone remember the big 'THRILL' of seeing other cars on the highway that displayed YHWH or had a 'Watchtower' taped to the rear window?

At the border, she wasn't permitted entry into the USA as she didn't bring along the required documents so we left her there and carried-on to the convention

Doesn't that just prove it's mind draining cult, getting totally orgasmic over seeing license plates with YHWH ? I have to laugh about leaving the Sis at the border, I wonder if some other Dubs drove by and heard her sob story and took her to the assembly, and of course, at another assembly she told of that experience and she prayed to Jah and of course another family just shows up ! !

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

I am too young to remember the week long conventions, but I do remember them being referred to often. My recollection of the tone they were referred to was that the convention was the JW equivalent of family vacation, hence the week long affair. I guess they figured letting you camp in a tent a cut fruit was just to make you feel more like you were on vacation.

Maybe they should go back to week long conventions. Thay would empty the Halls. Most people don't even get a vacation anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit