How long did Conventions used to be?

by donuthole 78 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• wobble
    wobble

I suffered both of those 8 day buggers , Blues, I was born and bred in Kent, still live in mid-Kent.

It was a different religion then really,in so many ways, yes it was a wacky cult with weird doctrines then, as ever, but the spirit , the esprit de corps we had, was different to today, and the rigid control from above was not there, although I reckon Mad freddie Franz and Coldfish Knorr tried hard to control as much as they could.

We did have good times at those,not during sessions, always outside of session times, or out of view of others at least.

Makes my spectacles steam up to think about it !

• watson
    watson

That's quite a "rant" there Farkel...

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

I think I remember them going from several 3-days back to a 4-day in the late 80's. Does anyone else? I was young at the time but I remember a lot of grumbling and that Thursday was very poorly attended! Needless to say the next year was back down to 3-days! Was it an attempt to seem extra urgent? Did I imagine this? Might have been '87 or '88?

• smiddy
    smiddy

Bonnie

I used to think that the world was getting a good" witness" also when newspapers were sold outside conventions,it wasn`t till years later I learned they were only special editions that were ONLY SOLD at convention sites LOL

smiddy

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

BluesBrothers, if you haven't you should go back to Wembley to enjoy the real purpose of that stadium!

I don't think there were too many things I hated more than the assemblies. In the 1970s in Southern California, they were 5 days long. They would start on Wednesday and conclude, not a moment too soon, on Sundays.

Our district assemblies were held at Dodger Stadium. It was so hot that everyone brought umbrellas that clamped to the arm rest of your seat. The seats were uncomfortable, the food sucked (Fresca and cottage cheese, etc.), and of course, if you got up to go to the restroom, you got to walk by many moms and dads beating their kids with belts, wooden spoons, hair brushes, and in one case, I recall seeing a beating being delivered with a Watchtower! Indeed, the Watchtower went out of its way to make life miserable for the children of witnesses.

The best day of the year for me, as a kid, was the Sunday the district assembly would end on. I knew it would be a whole year before I had to endure that torture again!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

8 friggin days..

New York 1958..I was a little kid..But..

I remember the adults saying the USA Army showed up,so they could learn how to feed so many people..

The Watchtower "invented" feeding People..The entire USA Army would be dead now..

If the Watchtower hadn`t taught them how to feed people..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The food service at the Vancouver International assembly in 1969 (8 days) was a flop or better described as a disaster.

There was never enough food for the attendees and some people who got in line late were told there was no more.

Its no wonder the WTS. instilled the bring your own policy, eventually.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I luckily escaped the 8 day assemblies, but clearly remember the ones that were five days. We attended the conventions in ST. Paul.

In 1973 we had a big one in Winnipeg and then in 77 a huge one in Milwaukee.

I always had to play my damn flute at every convention - was so happy when we went to canned music

At the '77 convention they loudly condemned the movie 'Saturday Night Fever' - everyone in my row had already seen it.

• designs
    designs

Peace On Earth, 1969. Had a BLAST! Stayed with a couple up in the Hills above Los Feliz part of the time and in an abandoned Sanitarium the rest. We slept in the Cribs with high sides so we wouldn't fall out (Major Parties after the Sessions).

Best Pick up Spot: Three Palms

Best Banner: Ice Vendor "Get Your Jugs Iced 10cents"

Best Weird Moment: Fred Franz marching off the Podium Goose Step style

Best Assembly Moment: All the Hippies coming Sunday and sitting on the Lawn around the stage

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit