How long did Conventions used to be?

by donuthole 78 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I was at the vancouver 8-day one in '69, too. My mom's old cadillac was really struggling on the way back and we made a lot of stops for help. I don't think we had a sign in the window, but we did get help from both JWs and non.

I remember the nightmare lineups. Ran out of food. No bathrooms. I was a teenager with female issues and I recall having to put paper in all the windows of my mom's cadillac to take care of personal needs because the bathroom line up was miles long. Because my mom had four little ones, she didn't stay for the evening sessions. Some braniac scheduled the day's end so it conflicted with Vancouver's end of work day rush hour traffic. We sat in bumper-to-bumper traffic for some three hours. People were insanely angry at the JWs.

• donuthole
    donuthole

Thank you everybody!

• ziddina
    ziddina

All I can remember, is spending at least a WEEK in the damned assemblies when I was a kid in the '60's....

That crap went on FORever!!!

I'd much rather have attended an eight-day Star Trek convention or a "Star-Wars/Star-Trek/Lord-of-the-Rings/Pirates-of-the-Caribbean" movie marathon - heck, even a "Godzilla" marathon - rather than another dayyamed assembly...

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The 8 day assemblies were far to much of a stain on people, not only to live with someone from out of town for that length of time

but also the facilities such as bathrooms were inadequate , as well as the long waits for food during lunch and dinner time.

Days of boring repetitious themed talks and stupid dramas which you could hardly understand the audio in those huge stadiums.

To arrange these huge events which were mostly above the regular attendance for sport games, was not well planed out or thought about by the WTS..

They just wanted to have the most people there to sell and present their published works which were laden with propaganda doctoral bullshit.

They cared little about the people who attended as to their personal well being and comfort.

• Podobear
  • Farkel
    Farkel

Dang! I'm losing my brain cells!

Mom was at NY in 1955 and 1958. I was locked in a closet and had a little food tossed at me once in a while. Nah! I lied. I stayed at my grandmas for both of those. I'm pretty sure the 1958 assembly was 7 or 8 days. Let me think about this. Nathan "Homo" Knorr wanted a new book released every day and I know for a fact that the "Paradise" lost book was cobbled together just to get released for that stupid assembly. I believe they also released that novel known as the "Your Will" book which is a monumental tome to the insanity of Freddie Franz and how to make the insane drivel of the Biblical idiot "Daniel" even more insane with the Bibilical drivel/interpretations/which/have/all/failed of the even-more-than-Daniel insane moron know fondly as the collected works of Freddie Franz.

What is even more hilarious is this: The idiotic rants of the Biblical "Daniel" are still print and are still in every Bible.

The idiotic rants of Fred Franz which claimed to explain the idiotic rants of Daniel are not longer in print in WatchtowerWorld.

Perhaps the lesson (if any) here is this: it just might be fultile to explain idiot rants with other idiot rants.

I'm only posing a question, mind you.

Farkel

• smiddy
    smiddy

My wife & 2 children attended the "International Assembly"in Melbourne Aust.in 1963 I think it was a 6 day cnvention,so long ago.We had the bumper bar stickers advetising the convention,and I remember a photo in the local paper "The Herald"which showed a smashed up car wreck with the bumper sticker clearly visible.I cant remember how the occupants fared though

Calling it an" International Assembly" brought a lot of critiscm their were very few delegates from overseas

I took a photo of an ABC journalist who was interveiwing some delegates for his tv show,offhand I cant remember his name or the shows name

smiddy

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I can remember 5 day assemblies but just, can't remember where, probably in Auckland.

I certainly remember 5 day international Conventions, namely Auckland & Christchurch both in th 70s

also remember 4 day district conventions then changed to 3 days

& 2 day circuit conventions, I believe they are now down to 1 day

8 days WTF drive me bloody crazy glad I never experienced them, 1 day was bad enough let alone x8 LOL

so damn glad i'm no longer part of that bullshit

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I attended all eight days of the 1958 international assembly at Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds--it was the only assembly that year in the entire world. There was a record-breaking 253,000 in attendance. I was 16 years old, new in the "truth", and very indoctrinated. I was young and in good health and had no concept of how difficult it must have been for older people or mothers with children.

Freddy Franz gave several discourses over the week. I remember thinking I didn't really understand what he was saying, but I knew he was God's representative and that eventually everything would make sense. Besides, my mind was tired as Freddy was always the last speaker of the session.

As we would leave the stadium every night, newspaper boys were selling their papers with headlines about our assembly, and we were convinced that this assembly had notified the world that we were truly God's organization and that the nations should take notice. For the next several weeks after the assembly we had to distribute leaflets about the resolution we adopted condeming Satan's world (and I think the United Nations). I remember how embarrassed I was when I knocked at a door and one my teachers answered, but I had to give her the leaflet. Somewhere in my closet I think I still have a copy of that resolution.

Bonnie

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I would have been a toddler at the Wembley Stadium International Convention in 1969, then in the early 70's I used to remember the evening sessions that finished close to 10, probably were 5/4 day Ass'emblies at the old, dirty, dusty Twickenham, now one of the best stadiums in the world, remember the morning door knocking work as well, then it remained 4 days for years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit