Is homosexuality ever justifiable? I say YES!!!

by TimothyT 117 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    Getting married to Jack in May. We have been together for 4 and a half years now.

That's great! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

I guess I should thank the JW's for kicking me out. They really helped me! xxx

Yeah, its hard while it's happening, but in the end you are usually better off.

• DJS
    DJS

TimothyT,

Wooooo hoooooooooooooooo!

I'm very happy for you.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Never understood how it's anyone's damn business who someone chooses to love. Good for you Tim and I wish you and your partner a long, happy and fulfilling life together.

On a side note: i believe gay couples are a boon to humanity. They are less likely to add to our already over populated planet, adopt unwanted children and shower them with love and furnish them with a stable home and the promise of a future that many heterosexual parents are unable to do or couldn't bother with. This is something civilization is in dire need of.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

If I may insert a couple of things here from my background in both philology and as a Jew, and the fact that our holiday Sukkot is coming around the corner (which I am currently preparing for).

The word in Revelation 21.3 is NOT describing the Tabernacle. It is a SUKKAH in Hebrew, the type of tent set up during SUKKOT when we Jews celebrate the Festival of Tents/Tabernacles/Booths (why Gentiles have so many names for Sukkot is beyond me). The Greek equivalent of a "sukkah" is SKENE (pronounced "skaynay").

Because Revelation is speaking of G-d coming to dwell or living among us, it is speaking of an action, one actually associated with celebrating a feast (as a SKENE or a sukkah is often set up for other types of celebrations, even among Gentiles). The author of Revelation is borrowing from Jewish eschatology regarding Olam Ha Ba, of "the World to Come." In Revelation the author reverses the arrangement of the Temple wherein people had to travel often great distances to eat and feast at the Temple building in Jerusalem "where God dwelt."

But now G-d comes to humans to participate in the banquet. It is as if G-d comes to participate in an eternal celebration of Sukkot, but this is not likely a picture of the Third Temple. SKENE is used In Revelation in connection with an action (to set up a sukkah) which is different from saying people are going to a Temple.

The Third Temple is never described in the Hebrew Scriptures as a sukkah, always a Temple. The days of G-d dwelling in a tabernacle ended with the Davidic dynasty, and the only time it is ever spoken of in great detail is in the book of Hebrews where the author uses it instead of the Temple, claiming that Christianity is greater than the Tabernacle arrangement (oddly the author of Hebrews never speaks of the Temple).

As for the Bible and its use in religions regarding homosexuality: Judaism was one of the first (some claim the first) of the mainstream religions to fully accept homosexuals. The recent marriage equality changes in the United States were heavily and publicly lobbied for by Jewish denominations and movements in America. While Orthodox Jews still are on the fence at best (very much in the same place Catholicism dwells on the subject) with some still adamantly against it, universally in Judaism there is no recognition of homosexuality being prohibited in Scripture per se. The texts in the Hebrew Scriptures used by Christian groups as prohibitions against homosexuality, such as in Leviticus 18, are seen as limited instruction to Levitcal priests or misinterpretations in Judaism. It is due to this realization in that Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist and Post Denominational Jews have welcomed gays among their groups and why the Orthodox are left struggling with the issue.

The Bible is not necessarily the problem.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda
    Oh, and from another member of the "family," may I say: Mazel Tov!
  • nugget
    nugget

congratulations on the wedding plans good for you. It is important to have people in your life who are there for you and accept you for who you are,

I wish you every happiness for your future.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Men are not attractive enough for homosexuality to be justifiable.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    It was posted on another thread that some JW are celibate homosexuals.That means that being a JW does not change homosexual feelings and that they can never fulfill their homosexual desires. JW will DF anyone for a number of things not just for homosexual conduct. Not only because some JW have homosexual feelings do they have empathy and compassion and mercy for them, but other JW have learned too, to be understanding in their view of others. Even at the assemblies it has been declared that some JW holding office in the cong have homosexual feelings. This informs everyone that they are accepted even qualified to hold office.They are not mocked or despised or viewed with contempt. And when they sin, it is understood that they are only human struggling to do do what the "BIble says" just as everyone else is with their own propensity. IN some countries, they persecute and kill homosexuals. How cruel and presumptuous that is. In the US people are allowed to pursue their own happiness. Why shouldn't they as long as the rights of others are not being encroached? How God will deal with a person is between God and such person. Some sins, a person just can stop doing, but feelings and inclinations of the mind and heart, people cannot do on their own. All they can do is try.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit