If You Were God How Would You Prove You Existed

by Pig 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

I would not prove at all. I would just one day when the mankind would have come into a certain point, just kill off the bad people.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think God proves he exits when we die. Till then its all based on faith or lack of faith.

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

I go with sir82's response. Proof would be a silly concept, I would either be a deist god, in which case in wouldn't matter, or if I was a theist god, I wouldn't be playing games. I would be all like "ok, peep gang, here's the deal. I have a castle on the frikkin' moon, it's up there, you can see it cause it's HUGE, here's how I made you (and this is empirically verifiable), this is what I expect of you, and why, and if you don't like it, that's cool, I will put you on a separate planet for people that don't want to chill on my planet (don't worry, the other planet is perfectly inhabitable too, and you can come back if you like mine better), and you guys can run it your way, but this is my planet and I have a castle on the moon, I am god let's start the party, if you have any questions let me know, I will personally answer all questions in person, and will have personal meetings with everyone, just don't eat from that one tree....you already did? Fuck that, I'm out, good luck figuring out dinosaur bones without me around, LOLz just kidding, that tree is fine, eat all you like, and keep your fork, there is pie.

The fact that you have to ask for proof of the existence of a being like god is a pretty good reason to think he doesn't exist. I mean this isn't a tea pot orbitting pluto, this is a massive giant purple unicorn blaring the "nyan cat" song over huge speakers running across the planet since it's inception and everybody saying "oddly enough, nobody can prove that thing is here." If it was real, it would be a question philosophers, theologians, and lay people struggled with for thousands of years.

• tec
    tec

How much would it matter if I proved my e X istence if people still chose to commit harm and hatred toward one another? People who have faith in me (through my son), love and do as I do. People who love and do as I do, but don't know me (or my son)... well, we know them. People who 'believe' in me and yet don't love as I do (as my son showed them)... well, then, what does their belief even mean? Their 'faith' is dead.

Peace,

Tammy

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

And what of the people that do good but don't believe in you, tec? Or perhaps the people would do a bit more good if you actually came around every once and a while. The god you describe sounds like an apathetic father. "boys will be boys, I'm going to go watch TV."

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

It's pretty simple really: do supernatural stuff.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I'd make sure men's nuts weren't on the outside, couldn't be damaged by a swift kick and evolve humans with below the neck alopecia (thanks Tim Minchin.)

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I posted this on another thread with pretty much the same title some months ago. I stand by what I said so I'll say it again

There are some things that would help me believe in a god, including but not limited to:

1. Simultaneous flashes of inspiration to everyone sincerely researching a cure for cancer, MS, ALS, arthritis, alzheimers, etc. and how to make it available to the masses at no cost.
    2. Assuming that god understands how weather patterns and tectonic plate shifts work, some kind of guidance to provide early warning systems for tornados and earthquakes would be nice.
    3. Instead of going through the cost and time of court trials and jury verdicts, if someone is guilty of a crime against humanity (not a parking violation or the like) an indelible tattoo on their forehead of the crime they're guilty of would be cool - until they've changed their ways, then the tattoo goes away.
    4. Everyone, everywhere will have enough food to eat. Every day. All year. No matter what.
    5. A user interface download straight to the DNA to enable everyone to instinctively know how to drive in any conditions.

If even one of these things happened, I would probably start to believe again...

• tec
    tec

And what of the people that do good but don't believe in you, tec?

I answered that, Jonathan.

People who love and do as I do, but don't know me (or my son)... well, we know them.

Love of love on their hearts, naturally.

Or perhaps the people would do a bit more good if you actually came around every once and a while.

Perhaps. But isn't that one of many atheists biggest beefs with believers? Doing good not for its own sake, but simply for reward/punishment?

Besides, He did come around - in sending His Son. He still comes around - through His Son, in Spirit.

The god you describe sounds like an apathetic father. "boys will be boys, I'm going to go watch TV."

I don't think you understood my description right.

Peace,

Tammy

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Hi Tec

How's life north of my couch? :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit