Is it possible for an apostate to get reindoctrinated?

by foolsparadise 106 Replies latest jw friends

• agent zero
    agent zero
    Believing is something different from purpose.
    They believe in their purpose, not in the knowledge.
    They can believe they are doing good

excellent point, Drew. And i believe this is becoming more and more common. both from the top down, through more personality-oriented WT articles and less on doctrine; and also in the attitude of many RnF, as quite commonly evidenced in conversation

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If a person doesn't learn to do their own thinking, there is a chance that they will go back to the cancer. Before, it was because they really thought they could befriend God (which is absolutely impossible). Once they realize that's impossible and that the Washtowel Slaveholdery is lying, they could go back because of family problems created by the doctrine, or because they feel more secure letting someone else do their thinking (which is laziness).

The group that go back because they are more comfortable letting someone else do their thinking are the ones that are weak. They are trading liberty for security--and usually end up getting neither. They are not the ones that get dragged or coerced back into the cancer, either with physical force or because of family ties--they simply do not want to think for themselves and end up getting what they deserve.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

Don't forget about our friend MLE (Miseryloveselders) I think he went back just recently.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

An apostate that changes one religion for another, yes, he can be reindoctrinated. He just changes the pillar with the cross and Jehovah with God. He can change the cross for the pillar again and also God for Jehovah. An apostate who sees the truth can never be indoctrinated again: there is no God and no Jehovah, no Jesus, no pillar and no cross.

• Teary Oberon
    Teary Oberon

You are all seem to be rather confused on this issue.

Teary refers to apostates in sociological terms. Those who leave a group and then move on with their lives and believe nothing else afterwards would not qualify as "apostates." An apostate is one who leaves a group and then takes an active and aggressive stand against his former affiliation. Apostates normally make up between 15%-20% of leave takers from NRM's, even with regards what some consider to be 'high-control' groups.

There has also been evidence documented that many apostates of NRMs only develop the apostate traits (anger with their former group, obsession with "taking them down" or "proving them wrong," retelling of the classic atrocity narrative, ect.) AFTER coming into contact with the subversive anti-cult groups. And it is these anti-cult groups that Teary refers to when he says that apostates simply "switch" to another form of indoctrination (not necessarily religious indoctrination, but more group/social indoctrination).

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Not really, because "apostates" technically never get "unindoctrinated" -- they just switch from one form of indoctrination to another.

So, I would take from this quote that Teary Oberon still considers himself/herself "indoctrinated"?

Sorry to hear that.

• wannabefree
  • Teary Oberon
    Teary Oberon

Wow...

So Teary really takes after the Hulk, Shaq and Elmo? That is so cool! :D

p.s., that girl is not bad looking either!

• talesin
    talesin

from the Oxford Online Dictionary:

noun

a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle

NOT your definition:

An apostate is one who leaves a group and then takes an active and aggressive stand against his former affiliation.

Please base your argument on factual data, rather than shady statements like "there has been evidence that", and statistics that have no quoted source such as "Apostates normally make up between 15%-20% of leave takers from NRM's, even with regards what some consider to be 'high-control' groups."

t

• thinking_1
    thinking_1

Wow Agent Zero, your experience sounds remarkably like mine. Looked into it, went back to believing more than ever, then I realized the thing questions I had never got answered. I just convinced myself they didn't matter or I was being tested by Satan. Went a little deeper and that's when I started researching the psychological aspects of high control groups. Then I had my "moment". I understood why I felt like it was the truth, why things that should have been red flags didn't affect me, why I wasn't being objective. It was and still is quite a rollercoaster.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit