• equinox
  • designs
    designs

Good question

• equinox
  • equinox
  • wannabefree
    wannabefree

You are possibly using Internet Explorer 9 .... switch to Firefox or Google Chrome, you will be ok.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Dramma from one woman is enough for any man

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

So, here is my take on it.

1 Tim 3:2, in listing the qualification for an overseer says they should be "a husband of one wife"

Reasoning on this, to me the scripture is saying the examplary situation is one wife and only those who have one wife should be appointed as overseers because of this. If first century converts to Christianity didn't sometimes have more than one wife, it would be pointless to mention this as a requirement for an overseer. Also, the Scriptures do not tell the husband to send all but the first wife away as does the Watch Tower Organization (or whatever legal entity is used).

If the law of the land allows polygamy, the Christian congregation should allow this as Caesar's law does, however, requirements for an overseer suggest a husband of one wife.

And that is my opinion by doing my own personal reasoning on the Scripture. :)

• blondie
    blondie

Until 1947, the WTS allowed polygamy in some congregations. It makes you realize that again the WTS was not clean in "God's eyes" in 1919.

*** yb73 pp. 166-167 Ghana ***An important point discussed at this convention was the Christian standard of monogamous marriage. Prior to 1947 a number of the brothers (not the majority by any means) were living in polygamy. The standard of Christian morality as laid down at Galatians 5:19-21 and elsewhere in the Bible was respected and they endeavored to adhere to it. However, polygamy was not clearly associated with adultery. This was largely due to the fact that in African society polygamy is just as honorable as monogamy.

Finally, the January 15, 1947, issue of The Watchtower appeared with an excellent article on marriage. The magazine plainly stated that "plurality of wives" is not for Christians.

*** w95 9/1 p. 25 "Love Never Fails" ***I married Olabisi Fashugba in February 1941 and knew enough not to take any additional wives. But until 1947 when the missionaries came, polygamy was common in the congregations. Polygamous brothers were told that they had married more than one wife in ignorance. So if they had two or three or four or five wives, they could keep them, but they should not take any more. That was the policy we had.

Substitute the word IDOLATRY for POLYGAMY and see how ridiculous the WTS excuses are; how they read things into the Bible that aren't there.

*** g853/8p.10OneWifeorMany?DoesItMatter?*** Polygamy, however, was already a fixture in many tribal societies. So when the Law later given to Moses discussed polygamy, it was not introducing something new. The Law simply regulated an existing institution and prevented its abuse. This it did by regulations and restrictions, which tended to discourage plural marriages. (Exodus 21:9-11; Deuteronomy 21:15-17; 1 Samuel 21:3-5; 2 Samuel 11:11) Consequently the majority of Israelites were not polygamists. Polygamy was practiced mainly by the wealthy and the ruling class.

*** g853/8p.10OneWifeorMany?DoesItMatter?*** But what of Abraham? Until he was at least 85 years old, Abraham confined his sexual relations to his wife Sarah. But because she failed to bear children, Sarah invoked ancient custom and suggested a substitutionary arrangement. Her maid Hagar would bear him a child for her. (Genesis 16:1-11) There is no indication, though, that Abraham had further relations with Hagar after he fathered her son Ishmael

*** g915/8p.26What?sWrongWithPolygamy?*** God allowed polygamy for a time, as it contributed to the fulfillment of his promise to Abraham: "I shall make a great nation out of you."

*** it-2p.343Marriage***

As was the case with divorce, polygamy, while not God?s original arrangement, was tolerated until the time of the Christian congregation. Polygamy had a start not long after Adam?s deflection. The first Bible mention of it is concerning a descendant of Cain, Lamech, of whom it says: "[He] proceeded to take two wives for himself." (Ge 4:19)

*** it-2p.703Proverbs,Bookof*** Those who claim that a polygamist like Solomon would not have spoken of husband-wife relationships in such a way as to imply monogamy (5:15-19; 18:22; 19:13, 14) lose sight of the fact that polygamy was not advocated but simply tolerated and regulated by the Law. And it may well be that the Jews generally practiced monogamy.

*** it-2p.1183Wife*** Polygamy was allowed under the Mosaic Law but was regulated so that the wife was protected.

*** rsp.250par.3Marriage*** God tolerated the practice, and under the Mosaic Law he even instituted measures to assure proper treatment of women who had such a relationship

*** rsp.251par.1Marriage*** Jacob became a polygamist because of deception on the part of his father-in-law.

Though it would have been said, couldn't have Jacob upheld God's standards? Why did he go on to have children by 2 concubines (see Abraham's excuse)

*** rsp.250par.4Marriage*** As for Abraham, he took Sarai (Sarah) as his wife. When she was about 75 years of age and thought she would never bear a child, she requested her husband to have relations with her maidservant so that Sarai could have a legal child by means of her.

*** rsp.251par.2Marriage*** It is well known that Solomon had many wives as well as concubines. But not everyone is aware that, in doing so, he was violating Jehovah?s clearly stated commandment that the king "should also not multiply wives for himself, that his heart may not turn aside." (Deut. 17:17)

( But that doesn't mean he couldn't have 2 or 3 wives.)

*** rsp.250par.3Marriage*** Jehovah is not the originator of polygamy.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Actually, wannabe, the Koine word translated as "one" also means "first", e.g. Mark 16:2 and Luke 14:18. Never in Scripture is polygyny banned, but divorce is, from the beginning. A man could collect wives; he just couldn't trade them.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I can't tell you how many older dudes called themselves giving me advice telling me, "Whatever you do, don't get old, and don't get married." Both in Da Troof, and the Wicked Worldlies. I sorta get the feeling that one woman is enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit