Proof of God or Christ without a holy book

by Awen 131 Replies latest jw friends

• clarity
    clarity

Awen, I have no "proof" so far with or without the"book"!

But the longer I live, yes I do hear many wise, quiet words. At first they seemed to be from (holy) spirit.

They were! ... My spirit.

>

It would seem that as we live longer, we have 'soaked-up' great quantities of information. All very useful. But some of it extraordinary, the result of which by sheer longtime experience, failure and recovery, street smarts, plain Living & learning!

>

Growing older while under the rule of the gb, this natural inner knowing has been controlled and tampered with big time! The only thing you must think is jehovah is god, according to the ........watchtower.

>

Now that I'm out, I feel so much more authentic and in touch!!

Anyway, that is my explanation for the 'quiet voice' that guides us ... it's us!

clarity

• clarity
    clarity

Oh, and for Punkofnice, who can't see much proof either...

you may have heard this before but you can never have enough laughs.

http://religiousfreaks.com/2007/03/01/george-carlins-take-on-religion/

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

We can't prove that we think, that we have a conscience, we can't prove love, we can't prove hope or faith or trust, but we can show evidence for them.

• i_drank_the_wine
    i_drank_the_wine

i wonder what the numbers are of ex-jws, or ex-any religion, that are atheist/agnostic vs those who still believe in a god/gods

• i_drank_the_wine
    i_drank_the_wine

thanks for sharing the http://nobeliefs.com/exist.htm link. great read so far.

• jay88
    jay88

Awen: What makes Jesus more authentic than Krishna, Buddha, Mohammad, and so on?

1). Geography

2). Preference

• jah1914
    jah1914

I always find threads like this amusing. The bottom line is none of us know anything, nothing is verifable. As soon as you step in to the realm of spirituality, you can throw out verifiable proof. Only things that are independently verifable are physical things. So I vote that all just wait until the 'end' and then we will indeed find out one way or another who was right and who was wrong about spirtual matters. Until then all of our speculations are guesses at best. Causes for division and all that leads to at worse.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Awen,

Good questions and sound reasoning IMO.

Questioning one's core beliefs and determining an alternate one is probably the biggest challenge anyone can go through and is by no means easy. At some point, one must decide what works or makes the most "sense", stake a claim and let the chips fall where they may. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything,...:)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Why IS there a debate in the first place? Why isn't there irrefutable proof of a God or a Christ?

What constitutes irrefutable proof to one, may not be such proof to another.

I've noticed a difference between exjw atheists and the average atheist you run into here and there in your life. The difference is that non exjw atheists tend not mention their feelings. They don't seem to have a need to constantly discuss atheism. If you ask them, they will tell you what their feelings on the existence of God are, but generally, they don't say much about them. I wonder if this could mean that at least for some ex jw atheists, their feelings aren't really set in concrete yet.

It's puzzling, the amount of questioning of believers that takes place here on JWN and other ex witness boards and facebook on this subject. Discussion is one thing, but the constant "Prove there is a God" comments and threads is another. I just wonder about this difference between never been witnesses atheists and especially the born or raised in atheists. It's an interesting concept. I believe we are all on our own unique journeys spiritually or not spiritually. And hopefully we try to respect each other's journey. It's not easy to do sometimes, but it's something to aspire to. I respect that some do not sense or feel or see evidence of God or gods or higher intelligence. I'm just stating this difference I have seen in atheists who weren't ever JW's and ones who were.

• caliber

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit