Proof of God or Christ without a holy book

by Awen 131 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Why IS there a debate in the first place? Why isn't there irrefutable proof of a God or a Christ?

Funny, I think that the debate itself means the opposite of what many other people think.

Why, if there is no creator, does the human race seek him out? Why did they ever start in the first place? Who taught them? Why if there is no spiritual, do so many people seek out/feel/sense something beyond the physical?

I think there is no irrefutable proof because most of us can only look with our physical senses and are loathe to believe that there could be more beyond that, which we just don't know yet how to access or test.

Peace,

Tammy

• Ding
    Ding

Owen said:

Josephus, Tacitus, and Pliny the Younger all lived after Jesus died. They never met him. So all their accounts are based upon the words of others which cannot be investigated.

This standard would virtually eliminate the study of history! Granted, history is not an exact science. We can't know everything about the past with 100% accuracy. But let's not go to the opposite extreme and contend that we can't have any reliable information about such matters at all.

The fact that writings of the Bible have now been collected into one book doesn't mean that they come from just one source.

The New Testament itself contains many separate accounts written by a number of different authors. Some of those authors claim to have been eyewitnesses (Peter, James, John, for example). Others, like Luke, were not with Jesus during his ministry but claim to have talked with eyewitnesses to investigate the truth of what was being said about him.

If I understand your comments correctly, you reject all of this testimony because you consider them unreliable and biased. You also reject them because they are part of a "holy book". I think these assumptions show a priori bias on your part, but you're entitled to your opinion.

You asked for other, non-Bible sources, so I cited the Talmud, Josephus, Tactitus, and Pliny the Younger, none of whom can be accused of being biased Christians.

Then you said that they came along after Jesus, that their writings are based on what others said, so those claims can't be investigated. I really don't understand this objection for several reasons:

1. Many who did claim to be eyewitnesses wrote their accounts but you seem to take an "all or nothing" approach and throw them out completely because you see them as hopelessly biased.

2. We don't have accounts of eyewitnesses who contradict what the Bible says about Jesus, so somehow this is evidence against the historicity or accuracy of the Bible. Yet, if such writings DID exist today, you would be saying that these "he said" / "she said" conflicting stories written by people long dead is so contradictory that we can't know the truth of any of it.

Either way, nothing is reliable...

3. The Bible itself actually does contain many references to what contemporary unbelievers said about Jesus -- that he was a bastard, that he had a demon, that he got his power from Satan, that he was a false Messiah, that he couldn't have been from God because he kept company with notorious sinners, that the "resurrection" can be explained by the disciples having stolen the body, etc.

4. You said that Josephus could not have written a reliable history of Jesus because he was born 5 years after Jesus died. Does this mean he couldn't write a reliable history about Jesus? That would mean that a person born in or after 1968 couldn't write a reliable biography about John F. Kennedy. Many people who saw and heard Jesus were still alive and available for interview during Josephus' lifetime.

5. You said that scholars believe that some of Josephus' writings about Jesus contain forgeries. Fine, throw those passages out -- as scholars do -- and with what's left you still have a great deal of information about Jesus and his followers. The study of history is not an all-or-nothing affair. Scholars sort out truth from fiction, as the critical examination of Josephus' writings shows.

6. Put all this in the context of someone other than Jesus. How many eyewitness accounts do we have of the life of Julius Caesar? Of Alexander the Great? None that I know of, and if we did have them, no doubt those people would all have their biases. So do we assume, therefore, that these men were fictional characters or that if they were real our information is so unreliable that we should stop teaching them and their actions as historical? Is this your view of the study of history in general or only of the study of historical claims made in the Bible or other "holy books"?

Many statements made in the Bible have been shown to accord with archaelogical finds, in contrast, say, to the Book of Mormon, for which there is no archaelogical confirmation at all. Doesn't this tell us ANYTHING about the comparative reliability of those two "holy books"? Or should we just throw the Bible out completely because its authors were religious and had a religious bias or agenda? Should we also throw out all historical claims made by authors who are irrelgious and have an anti-religious bias or agenda?

7. Was George Washington real or fictional? Do we really know anything about him? Can we verify anything today, given that all the eyewitnesses are long dead? The information we have from his era may have come from biased sources who revered him. How can we trust anything they say? Besides, how do we know no forgeries have been inserted into their original writings? Are all biographies of Washington therefore hopelessly untrustworthy?

My point is that, using the standards you are setting, man's attempt to study history would be worthless or at least hopelessly curtailed. We couldn't rely on anything written after the eyewitnesses have died, and we couldn't rely on what they eyewitnesses themselves said because they were biased and because we can't conclusively prove that what they allegedly wrote or said wasn't intermingled with forgeries and falsehoods inserted by unknown persons with an agenda of their own.

MoneurMallard wrote:

No book character can be proved to exist outside of the context of the book.

Of course they can!

Gibbon wrote about Julius Caesar in his Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Even though those events occurred before the birth of Jesus, historians are able to establish that Julius Caesar existed and performed certain actions in reality rather than merely in the pages of Gibbon's book.

Conversely, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote about two men named Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Because Doyle and his contemporaries are all dead, does this mean that we are at a loss to know whether Holmes and Watson and their supposed exploits were fictional or real?

True, we can't know everything about history, but that doesn't mean we know nothing of significance about it at all.

• Awen
    Awen

@ Ding

I will concede that you make some very good points especially when it comes to writing about the history of others.

I was looking at it from the standpoint of witnesses in a courtroom as second hand accounts usually aren't allowed into evidence. You make good points that in the case of history some allowances must be made.

So Jesus did exist as a historical figure based upon your remarks.

Now a different question.

Is Jesus divine?

That question has been at the heart of my argument (though not stated directly).

Was Jesus just a great philosopher who's identity was made into something more by his followers?

Could the Bible writers have had an agenda?

Persons like Julius Caesar left behind writings, statues and buildings that historians say were constructed on their orders.

Does anything like this exist in regards to Jesus' divinity?

One might say the enduring quality of Christianity is proof enough, yet other religions exist that are in direct opposition (opposition may not be the right word) to Christianity. So it's possible that they (like Christianity) are the product of mankind's efforts and not a divine being's influence.

What measurement is needed to help a person decide what is the true religion? What makes Jesus more authentic than Krishna, Buddha, Mohammad, and so on?

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

The premise of your thread is pointless and foolish. No one is obligated to prove anything to you in this regard.

Is Jesus divine?

Phillip said to Jesus, "Show us the Father" - (John 14:8-10)[Top]

One of Christ’s most emphatic declarations that he was, and is, God, is found at John 14:8-10.

Phillip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Phillip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me?”

Any claim by the Jehovah's Witnesses that Jesus thought of himself here as nothing more than a man is absurd. Of course, the Jehovah's Witnesses argue that Jesus could not have meant this because Jesus could be seen for God is an invisible spirit and no one has seen God at any time. Therefore Jesus could not be God. But again they fail to understand the two-fold nature of the divine person of Christ, the hypostatic union, and the indwelling of the Persons of the Trinity (see section 5). It is not the created humanity of Christ that is the Father. Jesus was referring to the divine person who assumed a human nature when He answered Phillip, and in this Person dwelt the fullness of the Godhead (Colossians 2:9).

22) Jesus Christ resurrected Himself - (John 2:19 - 22)[Top]

Jesus made it clear that he would resurrect himself from the dead. Referring to his body Jesus said, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up,” (John 2:19-22). Acts 2:32 appears to contradict Jesus. It provides, “This Jesus God raised up” (see also Galatians 1:1). To resolve this inconsistency the Jehovah's Witnesses argue that John 2:19-22 does not really mean that Jesus would raise himself up, even though it says so, but that “Jesus himself was responsible for his resurrection” (Reasoning, 423,424). They rely on Luke 8:43-48 where the ill woman with the flow of blood was healed not because she healed herself but because she exercised faith in Christ’s power to heal (ibid., 423), and this exercise of faith made her responsible for the healing.

This analogy, however, is misplaced because John 10:17, 18 says that Christ’s power to resurrect himself was a command (NAB) or charge (RS) given to Jesus from the Father. Yes, he was responsible for his resurrection as the obedient servant on a mission, but he also exercised a power granted to Him to raise Himself from the dead, a power and command which the ill woman of Luke 8:43-48 was not given, and who was not the product of a hypostatic union of God and woman.

This is why the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from my Father. (John 10:17, 18 NAB)

Jesus was not talking about some abstract “responsibility” for his resurrection as the Jehovah's Witnesses claim (Reasoning, 424). The language is unambiguous. He had the “power,” and he exercised it.

Neither was Jesus claiming, as the Jehovah's Witnesses argue, that Jesus raised “himself from the dead independently of the Father as the active agent…” (ibid.) because it was not the dead created humanity of Christ - who was not God - who resurrected Jesus, but the divine second Person of the Trinity, God the Son who is fully God, and who never dies (Habakkuk 1:12 NWT). And it was He who was in a position to raise up the dead body of Christ. Recall that the three Persons of the Trinity never act independently of each other (New Bible Dictionary, 1299, 1300), so the act of the divine Jesus was the act of the Father. “All works of the triune God ad extra are indivisibly one (Encyclopedia of Religion, 56).

This illustrates a fundamental flaw in the Jehovah's Witnesses’ analytical process, their inability to reconcile two “apparently” conflicting concepts which do not conflict at all. Galatians 1:1 states that God raised up Jesus, but John 2:19-22 says that Jesus raised himself. Rather than reading both passages together, they discard one in favor of the other. Or ignore it. Or try to reason it away, or just change the Bible to accommodate their theology, but in so doing they violate their own often repeated admonition to read different verses pertaining to a particular topic together.

Looking at Scripture from their point of view, then, the Bible would be full of irreconcilable contradictions: both Jesus and God can’t be Lord, but there is only one true Lord in the highest sense (Ephesians 4:5). Both Christ and God if separate entities can’t be Savior granting eternal salvation, yet there is only one such Savior (Isaiah 43:11; Titus 1:4, 2:6). If Jesus is God and the Father is God and there can only be one God, there is no contradiction in the Trinitarian world, but not so with the Jehovah's Witnesses whose answer lies in reducing all of Jesus to the status of man and denying the divine unity, nothing more.

If Jesus is alone in “having immortality” (1 Timothy 6:16 Green’s Literal Translation) it would mean, for the Jehovah's Witnesses, that the Almighty is not immortal, but we know that is not true (Isaiah 57:15). Similarly, all things were created and exist for God, but all things were created for Jesus as well (Colossians 1:16). And, Isaiah 44:24 states that God made all things, but at John 1:3 and Colossians 1:16 it is the Word who made all things and all things were created through Him and for Him, to mention just a few of these examples.

And, if there is only one true God (John 17:3) and Jesus is the true God (1 John 5:20), is there really a conflict? Not if you believe in the triune God which supplies a very reasonable answer if you take the time to understand what the doctrine actually teaches. These apparently mutually exclusive concepts aren’t exclusive at the expense of one or the other, but must be read together and combined which leads to only one conclusion - Jesus was, and is, God.

The Almighty would never inspire such blatant contradictions in His Bible, and He didn’t. So if God raised up Jesus and the divine Person of Christ raised himself then Jesus must be God if one is to give weight and meaning to both passages within the Trinitarian context.

http://144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-5.html#21

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Is Jesus divine?

The heavenly resurrected Jesus is identified as Almighty God and the “First and the Last” because there can be only one “First and Last” and one “Alpha and Omega” and Jesus assumed both titles. [Top]

In the Book of Revelation Jesus can be identified as the Almighty and the “Alpha and the Omega,” titles used to identify God. Even if the Jehovah's Witnesses were correct in stating that Jesus is never specifically called the Almighty, which they claim is a title reserved for God (Reasoning, 414), that title can readily be ascribed to Jesus by logically piecing together selected verses.

For instance, both Jesus at Revelation 1:17, 18 and God as the Alpha and Omega at Revelation 22:13 are referred to as “the First and the Last.” Therefore, because Jesus and the Almighty are both “the First and the Last,“ Jesus must be the Almighty who is the Alpha and Omega.

Also, the Alpha and the Omega (God) of Revelation 1:8 is identified as the Almighty, and because Jesus is also the Alpha and the Omega, Jesus is the Almighty, a title identifying Jehovah (Yahweh) at Genesis 17:1. Jesus was, and is, God. The logical train of thought is illustrated by quoting the actual verses.

a) Jesus is the First and the Last: “Fear not, I am the First and the Last, and the living one; I died, and behold I am alive for evermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.” (Revelation 1:17, 18)

b) The Alpha and the Omega (God) is also the First and the last: “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense, to repay every one for what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the beginning and the end.” (Revelation 22:12, 13)

c) Therefore, Jesus must also be the Alpha and Omega, God.

d) The Alpha and the Omega is the Almighty: “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” (Revelation 1:8)

e) Therefore, not only is Jesus the Alpha and Omega but also the Almighty, all powerful, omnipotent.

This makes perfect sense in light of John 17:10 where Jesus in praying to His Father said, “everything of mine is yours, and everything of yours is mine.” “Everything” is very broad. It includes His disciples, words (truth), the Holy Spirit, and all power and authority as indicated by Christ’s statement at Matthew 28:18, “All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me.” Christ claimed universal power (NAB notes 28, 19); He is omnipotent, all powerful, and accordingly Almighty and sovereign of which there can only be one in the Universe.

The Jehovah's Witnesses attempt to circumvent this logic by arguing that the mere fact that one title (First and Last) is applied to two separate individuals, Jesus and the Almighty, does not mean those individuals are the same person. By analogy they contend that the expression “apostle” is applied to Jesus and to certain ones of his followers, but that doesn’t prove that they are the same person or of equal rank (Reasoning, 413).

Their analogy, however, is not applicable to this situation. The Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Jesus is always secondary and inferior to God in everything at all times, in heaven and on earth, never first (Should You Believe, Chapter 6). Thus, even by their own admission, there is only one who can be “the First and the Last.”

On the other hand, there have been many apostles, and if there are many such “First and Lasts” they might have a point, but there aren’t, there’s just one. The Jehovah’s Witnesses’ analogy just isn’t valid. As there can only be one First and Last, and both Jesus and God are “the First and the Last,” Jesus must be God and Christ rightfully refers to Himself indirectly as the Almighty in the Book of Revelation. You could say it was the culmination of His gradual disclosure.

To put it another way, if there is only one person on planet earth and his title is King and name is Sherman, and if there is a person on earth whose name is Fred who also is called King, then Fred must be Sherman the King in the same sense that Christ must be God because there is only one “First and Last“ of the universe, one King.

Furthermore, both God and Jesus are said to be “coming,” an obvious reference to the much anticipated Second Coming of Christ’s return (Rev 1:7, 8; 22:12, 13).

It is simply not logical that in the Book of Revelation the “First and Last” is a title reserved for the Almighty, the Alpha and Omega, but is also applied to a created angel who became man and reverted back to being an angel, who is always regarded by the Jehovah’s Witnesses as secondary to God in everything, a created being, always inferior. Their theory just doesn’t make sense.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Is Jesus divine?

The Father and I are one - (John 10: 27-30) [Top]

This verse is often cited in support of the divinity of Christ, that Jesus was, and is, God. They are not two, but one. The Jehovah’s Witnesses continue to argue that it only means they are one in purpose, nothing more. They reason that at John 17:21, 22:

Jesus prayed regarding his followers: “That they may all be one, and he added, “that they may be one even as we are one.” He used the same Greek word (hen) for “one” in all these instances. Obviously, Jesus’ disciples do not all become part of the Trinity. (Reasoning, 424)

Actually, they do.

First, His followers becoming collectively “one” is meant in the spiritual sense, similar to a husband and wife becoming one flesh (or a man and a prostitute), that is, one spirit, not two. “… Do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body? For “The two,” says he, “will be one flesh. But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit” (1 Corinthians 6:16, 17).

Secondly, the glorified believer eventually does become folded into the Trinity, which is the only means by which he or she can attain heavenly immortality. Jurgen Moltmann (1926 - ) explains it this way:

The unity of God is the communion of persons. The missions of the Son and the Spirit have brought creation within the Trinitarian process. At the end of time, all will be folded into the Trinity. The history of salvation is the story of the inclusion of creation into the perichoretic relationship (mutual indwelling) of the persons of the Trinity. (Oxford, 1213)

[T]he monarchy of the Father is perceived in the Trinity because everything in the history of salvation comes from him and strives towards him. To throw open the circulatory movement of the divine light and the divine relationships, and to take men and women, with the whole of creation, into the life-stream of the triune God: that is the meaning of creation, reconciliation and glorification. (Trinity and the Kingdom, 178)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Historically speaking, and understanding what THAT means, there is quite abit of evidence for Christ outside the NT, I suggest:

Jesus Outside the New Testament: An Introduction to the Ancient Evidence (Studying the Historical Jesus) by Robert E. Van Voorst ( Paperback - Mar 1, 2000) Jesus and Christian Origins Outside the New Testament by F. F. Bruce ( Paperback - Jun 1974) Remember this is historical evidence which means it is base don historical criteria.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Is Jesus divine?

That is 100% based on faith.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Is Jesus divine?

The fullness of the Godhead dwells inseparably in Jesus - (Colossians 2:9); He is the very imprint of God’s being - (Hebrews 1:3)[Top]

Colossians 2:9 is convincing evidence of the divinity of Christ. It states of Christ that “in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily” (Green’s Literal Translation). The Greek word for “Godhead” is theotes and means divinity. It “stresses deity, the state of being God (Strong and Vine’s, 115). It is to be distinguished from theiotes which refers to the attributes of God, his divine nature and properties and it is this definition which the Jehovah's Witnesses incorrectly attach to Col 2:9 when they claim that the Godhead there merely refers to His “divine qualities” (Reasoning, 420). This is manifestly incorrect according to Strong and Vine’s, and what the Jehovah's Witnesses are actually doing is swapping theiotes for theotes. Regarding the Godhead (theotes) at Colossians 2:9:

In Col 2:9, Paul is declaring that in the Son there dwells all the fullness of absolute Godhead; they were no mere rays of divine glory which gilded him, lighting up His Person for a season and with a splendor not His own; but He was, and is, absolute and perfect God; and the apostle uses theotes to express this essential and personal Godhead of the Son. Theotes indicates the divine essence of Godhood, the personality of God; (Strong and Vines, 114). [Theotes] stresses deity, the state of being God. (ibid, 115).

(Theiotes, on the other hand), … refers to the attributes of God, His divine nature and properties. (Strong and Vine’s, 114)

The Jehovah's Witnesses argue that “[b]eing truly “divinity,” or of “divine nature,” does not make Jesus as the Son of God coequal and coeternal with the Father, any more than humans are coequal or all the same age just because they share humanity or human nature” (Reasoning, 421). But that is not necessarily true. If all persons share humanity it does make them all human, and they are all equally “human.” One person is not more or less human than another. So, if the inevitability of death is one aspect of humanity, then all humans die, all are mortal; they are equal in that regard. Similarly, if divinity inherently includes an eternal nature, and Jesus and God are divine, of the same essence (consubstantial), then both are eternal.

Actually, the Jehovah's Witnesses’ comparison of Jesus with all humans who share humanity is another flawed analogy because Jesus doesn’t share God at all like humans have a share in humanity. Jesus is fully God, and not somehow made God by virtue of the hypostatic union.

At Hebrews 1:3 Christ is said to be “the very imprint of His (God’s) being” (NAB) (“the very stamp of his nature” (RS) (“the express image of His substance” (Strong and Vine’s, 269). The Greek word used here for image, stamp or imprint is charaktar and means an exact copy or representation, and stresses complete, not partial, similarity of essence.

(2) In the NT it is used metaphorically in Heb 1:3, of the Son of God as “the express image of His substance.” The phrase expresses the fact that the Son “is both personally distinct from, and yet literally equal to, Him of whose essence He is the imprint. The Son of God is not merely his “image” (His character), He is the “image” or impress of His substance, or essence. It is the fact of complete similarity which this word stresses. (Strong and Vine’s, 269)

Accordingly, such equality applies to His eternal existence, omnipotence and omniscient nature, as God and the Word are literally equal to each other with respect to their essential being.

• I quit!
    I quit!

There isn't any proof that God exits. Then again it would be hard to prove our own exitence and why we are here. If indeed we are here.

Personally I believe that their is a God and there is a purpose beyond what we have the ability to understand.

After 50 years of JW indoctrination and having Joe Hoover shoved up my arse I don't care anymore.

If there is a loving God Punkofnice then I'm sure he/she will understand why you feel the way you do and won't hold it against you. If there is this vengeful god that a lot of people believe in then I think that the worshipers of that god will find that they are also in trouble just like the rest of us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit