The inimitable Steve Jobs has just passed away.

by botchtowersociety 61 Replies latest jw friends

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Just for ones who don't remember what the very early computers looked like.

An Apple II circa 1978

They were very expensive little machines back then.

I bought an IBM PS/XT back in around 1984 at a cost of over $4000.00

People thought I was nuts to spend that much, especaily on not knowing what the machine could do.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

It's taken years to get through my THICK SKULL Microsoft sucks big donkey honkers.

Not to take away what Macs are capable of but the latest cpu's from Intel running on Win 7 64 have really improved working on PC's.

I've stuck to PC's my whole computer life mostly out of the fact of the amount software written specifically for Windows OS.

This seems like it was always the weak spot for Macs, the software written for Apple's OS, great hardware but weak software support.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Job's had an inspirational outlook on life, and I hope Apple can continue his legacy of attention to detail, and end user experience. It is a shame that more corporations do not follow suit.

I used Apple Mac's at uni in the late 1980's, and couldn't believe it when I went to the workforce and had to use Windows, which was such an inferior user experience. Finally, with cloud computing and intel chips, Apple can completely replace windows with little effort. My whole house is Apple, and I love the fact that all my TV's, stereo equipment, storage disk, printer, macbooks and imac all talk to each other wirelessly with the simplest of setup.

• darthfader
    darthfader

I read a quote someplace that Bill Gates put a computer on every desk, but Steve Jobs put one in every pocket, purse, dorm room and bedroom.

I wasnt much of an Apple fan, but the products that I do have just work and are easy to use.

I also remember someplace that they wanted to put another button on the iPod and Steve told them that they could only have 3. so they built the now ubiquitous scroll wheel interface. Every button, switch, icon, menu item was a struggle to get past Jobs.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I think the important aspect or legacy of Apple will be is that the company with Steve Jobs at the helm wanted to make computers

easier for the public to learn and work on.

PC's on the otherhand were founded and developed with business in mind and the OS was created on that platform, IBM etc.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Thanks trueone I'll keep that in mind....

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Your welcome Quentin, I should add that I build my computers on my own selectively choosing each part,

from each internal component, to monitor, to keyboard. This way I'm able to create a system exactly to my liking and personal use.

PC's also have the ability to upgrade specific parts easier subjectively than Macs.

I do own a IPhone and a Ipad2 though, which I think are great products.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

How did he die?

• Quentin
    Quentin

I have to buy off the shelf. I'm a rube when it comes to building things. Suppose I'll stick with what I know. Thanks again for the insight...

• talesin
    talesin

EEEK~ my eyes! my eyes! too many memories of trying to manage environmental reports on one of those Apples *faints*

*cough cough* first PC was (deleted because it is splitting hairs and begs debate)

FHN- cancer

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit