The inimitable Steve Jobs has just passed away.

by botchtowersociety 61 Replies latest jw friends

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

What really made Apple products stand out was the heart that went into them. Even when products that didn't catch on (Newton), if it was from Apple it was obviously the work of people who cared about what they made. Steve Jobs' leadership and persona were a huge part of that. His reputation was well deserved.

• TD
    TD

So who built an Apple I? Do you know what those things sell for today? Do you want to kick yourself?

• talesin
    talesin

oh, man, TD! NO!

I was soooo happy when the new ones came out, even if it is a 'collector's item', I don't care. hehehe,, doing spreadsheets on those machines was a PITA (to use 'net slang!).

And the MAC,,, ah, with its little smiley face that appeared when you turned it on... was a revelation!

tal

• unshackled
    unshackled

TD....back in 1999 I remember discussing with my then wife, on more than one occassion, buying Apple stock. I was a believer in the company. Think shares were around $15 or so then. But didn't have much money to invest so never went beyond talking about it. Plus...the new system was coming. Want to kick myself? Yep.

• shamus100
    shamus100

He completely revolutionized the computer. Apple has amazing products, fun, neat, functional and above all user friendly.

I predict that PC's will be a thing of the past for most people in the next 10 years in developed nations. They really are outdated and just plain awful.

He looked sick.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Apple took the step to make computers easier to understand and learn about, thats why back in the day Apple computers

were usually used as a learning computer in most schools in North America.

In most poor under developed countries, the people there can afford TVs , one day beside those TVs will sit a computer connected to the inter-net.

Steve Jobs and people such as himself will be the reason that will happen.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

My first computer was an Apple II+, and it was AWESOME! Did all kinds of crazy stuff on that computer you wouldn't do on any modern PC or Mac. Wish I still had it.
    Jobs will go down as one of the top creative forces in the history of mankind. He packed a hell of a lot into 56 years and wrang every last drop out of himself. Amazing.

• Farkel
    Farkel

botchtowersociety,

: I wrote some of my first computer code on this. Applesoft Basic.

Me too. I paid $7,800 for an Apple II with two floppy drives 520K of storage as I recall and a Spinwriter printer with a whopping 58 characters per second print speed!

When my Apple II signed on, it showed 64 k of memory "free". Today, 54 k which is 54,000 wouldn't even boot up a modern computer. The sign-on memory today is more like 3,000,000,000 bytes rather than 54,000.

Amazing. That was state-of-the-art back in the late 1970's, early 1980's.

None-the-less, I was able to write some pretty amazing cash flow analysis programs back then. I've been a programmer for most of my entire adult life.

Farkel

• shamus100
    shamus100

He was chief executive officer at Pixar. Amazing.

• Quentin
    Quentin

I'm going to purchase a new computer soon, any suggestions on Apple products. It's taken years to get through my THICK SKULL Microsoft sucks big donkey honkers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit