What is BELIEF ?

by EdenOne 233 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    A theist will present as evidence certain things (creation, beauty, goodness, miracles, revelations, holy writings) that a rationalist will dismiss as valid evidence.

"Dismiss" is wrong.

Refute with objective evidence to the contrary.

You need to consider the difference between objective and subjective.

no affirmative evidence of the inexistence of god

Totally back-to-front.

The burden is on the believer to bring objective evidence to the table. So far I have seen none.

Atheism is a rejection of the grandiose claims of theism. That's all.

But you have been told that a hundred times in the past few days.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

On the one hand there is no evidence for god and an overwhelming amount of compelling evidence against......cofty

You`ve never provided evidence against the existence of God......Ever..

• cofty
    cofty
    How would you know? You only read your own threads with the cartoons.
  • cofty
    cofty
    You`ve never provided evidence against the existence of God......Ever.. - Outlaw

The longest thread in the history of the forum constitutes a very powerful argument against the god of christianity. It contains summaries of the more than 2500 replies and logical refutations of every attempt by apologists to defend god.

My Pastor Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday...

How many evidence based threads of mine would you like me to link that refute the notion of a creator god?

How about threads full of evidence against the god of bible morality?

How about evidence based threads refuting the god of the Watchtower.... "Index of My Watchtower Doctrine Threads...

I am proud of the quality of my contribution to the rational content of the forum.

I have presented loads of evidence against theism. On the other hand you upload cartoons and interrupt serious conversations to insult people you don't like. Following me around has become an obsession.

Is it an attention-seeking thing?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"Belief" or "believing in" someone or something is just as the opening post said. Also, "faith/faith-in". And it varies a bit from person to person. Having been on the other side of "belief in God," I get that many will continue to have belief. I might debate on the forum, but I really know that people are on their own journey and I won't browbeat those that don't insist on their beliefs being put upon others.

But as former JW's, we need to understand the passion of those who are sure they are right. I have occasionally not reminded myself of that and I will try harder.

Certainly, belief in some kind of creator is vastly different than the fire-and-brimstone preaching of hard core Christians or Muslims. Most "believers" are closing the gaps on the god-of-the-gaps and accepting what science offers, but just not letting go of an intelligence behind it all. I admire their optimism.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

On the one hand there is no evidence for god and an overwhelming amount of compelling evidence against......cofty

The longest thread in the history of the forum constitutes a very powerful argument against the god of christianity.....cofty

Those are two different subjects..

I won`t allow you to change the subject it`s another one of your StrawMen.....A Deceitful Bait and Switch..

You made the Claim of Compelling Evidence against God.........Not the God of Christianity..

Back up the first post with Evidence against God.....It`s never been done..

If your able to do it..

Scientists and News Agencys will beat a path to your door.......You`ll be famous..

Show us your Evidence Against God..

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"Show us your Evidence Against God.."

There is no evidence against 'God' just like there is no evidence against leprechauns. There simply is no valid evidence for such entities and the lack of such evidence is sufficient for disbelief.

• cofty
    cofty

I actually said..

In the case of god - specifically the god of christian theism - there is an abundance of evidence to be taken into account. On the one hand there is no evidence for god and an overwhelming amount of compelling evidence against.

I have said the same thing a hundred times.

Define "god" and then we can refute it. The generic word "god" is vacuous. It means absolutely nothing so there is nothing to refute.

The most popular god around here is the christian one. That is the god I and others have refuted thoroughly.

Every god that has ever been worshipped can also be refuted once it is defined.

You don't even know what you mean by "god" - neither does Eden1 - so how can we ever have a conversation about it?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

In the case of god - specifically the god of christian theism - there is an abundance of evidence to be taken into account. On the one hand there is no evidence for god and an overwhelming amount of compelling evidence against...Cofty

Well You Know what? ..Your right!..

So I stand corrected,that was exactly what you said!..

But ..

You`ve never provided proof against the Christian God Either..(Even thought I doubt the SOB exists..)

The good news is..

You`ve got another Chance at being Famous..And..

Stop sending me pms...Your annoying..

There is no evidence against 'God' just like there is no evidence against leprechauns. There simply is no valid evidence for such entities and the lack of such evidence is sufficient for disbelief......Village idiot

Now There`s a Truthful statement!!..

There is No Evidence..Period....."The lack of such evidence is sufficient for disbelief".

I have to agree with everything you`ve said VI..

The Best thing about your post was..

You were able to make a case without making Nonsensical Claims of "Having Evidence"..

I even put a "Like" on your post!..LOL!!..

• cofty
    cofty
    You`ve never provided proof against the Christian God Either.. - Outlaw

The longest thread in the history of the forum constitutes a very powerful argument against the god of christianity. It contains summaries of the more than 2500 replies and logical refutations of every attempt by apologists to defend god.

My Pastor Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday...

How many evidence based threads of mine would you like me to link that refute the notion of a creator god?

How about threads full of evidence against the god of bible morality?

How about evidence based threads refuting the god of the Watchtower.... "Index of My Watchtower Doctrine Threads...

If you like I could list loads of threads I have started that refute the god of christianity with objective evidence. And that would only be the tip of a huge iceberg if we then list the threads started by numerous others. Perhaps you missed all of them? You are clutching at straws.

For 15 years you have been hiding behind the platitude that "nobody can prove god doesn't exist"

Now you are being challenged to define "god" and consider the difference between "proof" and overwhelming objective evidence.

All you have in response is personal insults.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit