What is BELIEF ?

by EdenOne 233 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Stemming from the 'absentheism' thread, an old question came to my mind.

What exactly is "belief"?

Is it the same to ask: "Do you believe in God?" or "Do you believe in the pope?" or "Do you believe in this report on the news?" The word is the same, but I think it has different value in the three situations above.

To question if someone believes in God, it has implicit that what is being questioned is the existence of God. However, to question if one believes the pope, it's not the existence of the pope that's implicit in the question, but rather, if you agree that he or the church he leads represents Jesus or God on earth. To ask if you believe a certain information questions if you hold it as credible as truth or fact.

In ancient greek, two terms dealt with concepts akin to belief: Pistis and Doxa. The first dealt with trust and confidence, the latter with opinion and acceptance. But since no distinction exists in English, when we're dealing with how atheism asserts the non-belief in deities, what belief exactly are we talking about?

Eden

• prologos
    prologos
    you tell us.
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

I'm asking. It usually means I don't know, but I'm interested in knowing.

Eden

• Viviane
    Viviane
    But since no distinction exists in English, when we're dealing with how atheism asserts the non-belief in deities, what belief exactly are we talking about?

Depends on who you ask. I lack belief due to lack of evidence. Other atheists actively believe there are none.

Since neither version of atheist has a belief in and diety, they certainly can't have trust in that deity.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    Viviane: I lack belief due to lack of evidence.

Lack of evidence leads to lack of knowledge.

In turn, lack of knowledge may lead to lack of belief, but not necessarily. Some people believe - or don't believe - irrespective of knowledge to justify such beliefs.

Eden

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Lack of evidence leads to lack of knowledge.

That's a ridiculous platitude that makes a major unfounded assumption.

In turn, lack of knowledge may lead to lack of belief, but not necessarily. Some people believe - or don't believe - irrespective of knowledge to justify such beliefs.'

So? People do what they want. I can only speak for me.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

From Merriam-Webster:

"Belief"
    a feeling of being sure that someone or something exists or that something is true
    a feeling that something is good, right, or valuable
    a feeling of trust in the worth or ability of someone
    a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing
    something believed; especially : a tenet or body of tenets held by a group
    conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence

Notice that "belief" is characterized as a feeling, state of mind, conviction. Never as knowledge.

My question is: If lack of evidence cannot produce positive knowledge, on what grounds is the lack of belief of an atheist more sound than the belief of a theist?

That's a ridiculous platitude that makes a major unfounded assumption.

I stand corrected if you can prove me that lack of evidence can produce positive knowledge.

Eden

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

What is BELIEF ?.....Eden

Without Solid Proof..

Belief is Nothing More than An Opinion...

........................................This Cat Believes..

........It Can Jump Out Of The Window And Onto The Balcony..

................http://siji.cz/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/fat-cat-jump-fail-o.gif

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Notice that "belief" is characterized as a feeling, state of mind, conviction. Never as knowledge.

I never said it was. Are you trolling your own thread?

My question is: If lack of evidence cannot produce positive knowledge, on what grounds is the lack of belief of an atheist more sound than the belief of a theist?

Is that your new question? It certainly wasn't your first one. Are you changing questions?

I stand corrected if you can prove me that lack of evidence can produce positive knowledge.

I never made such a claim, no idea why you would ask me to prove it to you.

I suggest you read very carefully what I write (as well as what you write) and make sure you very clearly understand what I say. For instance, I NEVER said lack of evidence leads to positive knowledge. You somehow got that, but I never said nor implied it. In this specific case, there is a lack of evidence that you are reading carefully, leading to the positive knowledge that you are adding in your own meaning.

You may sit down now.

• cofty
    cofty

Here we go again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit