Elders want to meet with us, help!

by All for show 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Just read to them proverbs chapter 4 where it states wisdom is and awesome thing and it makes one righteous
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

@ all for show

Meeting/speaking with 2 Elders is never a wise choice!

In such a clear-cut situation, I would take complete control of the situation by contacting the Elder who called you, and tell him this:

"Brother Napoleon, I have been prayerfully meditating on your telephone call and I'm calling to let you know what I've decided. The apostle Paul warned Christians "not to go beyond the things that are written", and the "things written" about any situation between two parties were voiced by Christ himself at Matthew 5:23,24 - "If, then, you are bringing your gift to the altar and there you remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar, and go away. First make your peace with your brother, and then come back and offer your gift." So for scriptural reasons, we want to do what is right, and for that reason only, we will speak to Brother & Sister Pretentious and resolve what is clearly a misunderstanding of our conversation about higher education - something which the Bible doesn't condemn."

Just because the Elders want to bypass the scriptures, doesn't mean you have to!

Discuss absolutely nothing with two of them!!!!

• nugget
    nugget

I don't feel you were unbalanced or inappropriate in your comments but then I am no longer part of the organisation. It seems that this is an excuse to grill you about non attendance and to fish to see if you have leanings towards apostasy. A fade is ok but if you associate with witnesses socially it seems to trigger action as you are seen as a potential problem.

I would say that you appreciate their concern and you will certainly look into this in more depth as a family but you would decline the offer of a visit at the moment as you are very busy and cannot commit to a specific time. If you feel that you could benefit from their input then you will of course contact them. Inviting them into your home can be a recipe for disaster I speak from experience.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

You broke the most important rule of being a witness:

Don't say it out loud.

Many witnesses are going to college, the GB doesn't like it but they do it anyway.

That doesn't mean they will tolerate SPOKEN acknowledgement of what they know is true inside: the college policy is bullsh**.

I would handle it like they would: bluff, hide and evade.

• Giordano
    Giordano

No meeting as there is nothing to gain.

The WT did send out a call for college trained JW's in different fields a few months back.

My Niece,an uber JW, took an accelerated medical course to be able to qualify for her and her husband to live at Bethel. They needed someone to be able to operate some kind of medical equipment.

I think you have been presented with a reason for your fade. If your both out you need to really fade......... and live your own life. I understand there may be reasons to fade slowly but sometimes dragging it out does not pay off. The end result will be the same......your friends and family will devalue you.

Thank the Elder's for their concern....... but no meeting...... your fine and are going to take some time off.

• All for show
    All for show

@simonsays- in our university system you register online, show up twice a week for you 1.5 hour class and move to your next class .... If you're seeking sex, drugs,and craziness you will find it anywhere. But just out on display, people encouraging you to engage--- Yea right!! It's called campus police and expulsion....so quit with the JW myth culture of devaluing education because of these ridiculous claims.

A group of young ones was Df'd for drugs and alcohol, all while pioneering and flipping burgers. That stuff can happen anywhere, if you want it.

moving on.... I will discuss this all with my husband and give him the warning.it seems best to not even entertain it and if they push, say we will foot the family themselves.

• sir82
    sir82
    If you don't want to be DF'ed, under no circumstances should you meet with 2 or more elders. They are definitely on a witch hunt an looking to hang you (figuratively).
  • pbrow
    pbrow

Meet with them.... Make it a huge knock down drag out fight... do not apologize for anything or hide anything in reference to your comments about college. Tell them under no circumstances would you ever discourage a child from attending college. Then when you are formally/informally marked because of encouraging children to go to college talk with these close friends you care about in regards to the reason you are now being harassed by the elders and GTFO !!!

FREEDOM!! Get some.

pbrow

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You might think you and yours said nothing wrong and I might agree. You might not have violated any "Bible principles." But........

Of course the kids mentioned the broadcast and we said we heard it. My husband said, " you are responsible for you, they won't pay your bills. How can you discredit college and it's beneifts when you haven't gone nor work for a living?"
    I think we did actually say, the horror stories of college are what you will find in any group of kids 18-22 ... ha ha... And that the GB have no real life concerns that we all face. So mainly, it's because we are negative to the GB. My husband definitely won't apologize when it's nothing to do with scripture or the bible.

......looking at what you did say, there is too much ammunition for them here. Disagreement with the Governing Body, insinuating that they are totally out of touch with what "we" have to go through. And meeting with them, your husband won't likely just take their further accusations and apologize but try to argue his way out of this. Even if he doesn't say anything wrong, two elders will agree with each other that he did.

I tell you, stay absolutely brief and walk away/hang up. "We are fine." No matter what they say, "No, it was a misunderstanding."

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

All for Show

You are dead on! People can find trouble anywhere. We have always told our kids that you have choices in life, good or bad. It's up to them to decide, once they become adults.

This cult drives the sheeple with fear and guilt. The only reason they do it is because people allow it. Follow the money trail. Watchtower is a wealthy corporation. Vote with your wallets!!!! I know for a fact a lot of active JW's have quit donating. Including us...no more time or money!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit