Elders want to meet with us, help!

by All for show 34 Replies latest jw friends

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

IF YOU MEET, thoroughly read the August 22, 1994 Awake articles and refer to them..

ESPECIALLY:

Indeed, whether to pursue supplementary education is a decision that should be weighed carefully. A Christian always bears in mind Jesus’ words at Matthew 6:33: “Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and [your heavenly Father’s] righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you.” Among genuine Christians, those without additional education are not looked down upon or treated as inferior, nor are those with extended education ostracized or dismissed as high-minded. The apostle Paul wrote: “Who are you to judge the house servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for Jehovah can make him stand.”—Romans 14:4.
    Jesus reflected this balanced view. He did not despise those who were “unlettered and ordinary,” nor did he hold back from selecting well-educated Paul to accomplish a powerful evangelizing work. (Acts 4:13; 9:10-16) In either situation education must be kept in its place, as the following article will show.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Great article, BerryGerry!

Doc

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

He says shouldn't they apply Matthew and make the parents come talk to us?

He sounds like a "smart guy"! See what education will do to you!

That was one of the details I exploited for my fade. When I was removed as an elder, the BoE told me that there were certain accusations against me and that I'd stumbled others. Yet when I asked who they were and why they hadn't applied the scriptures and come and spoken to me, I didn't get an answer because they were lying. They're the type of elders that are driven my their own self-importance and ignorance.

The idea of making this a huge deal in our family and a fade may work out well.

In reference to that broadcast, I made it clear to my parents that as a university graduate, I found the things stated to be very negatively biased. I'm making significantly more money, but it isn't just the money. I'm much more intelligent, but I don't think it's made me "proud" or any different. And one of the big things is that my degree won't be taken away from me. It will always have value. I'll be an alumni the rest of my life. In stark contrast, I spent many more years as a pioneer, bethelite, and elder, yet the value of all of that disappeared the moment I left bethel and when I was removed as an elder.

So when the WT broadcast crows about the supposed value of pioneering and the wastefulness of attending university, it's something I can't agree with. Is this really what JWs believe, that university degrees are meaningless waste? Then the next time they get seriously ill or are in an accident... call a pioneer instead of going to see a doctor! Instead of driving around in a car designed by engineers, have the morning group for field service build one for you! And in that broadcast, if the GB are now saying that bethel wouldn't send anyone to university for a law degree, why are they still using university trained brothers and sisters in the legal department? Why have they sent out letters trying to recruit degreed JWs? Can't they just select any pioneer, send them to court to defend WT lawsuits? Or does the GB rely on degrees more than they rely on jehovah?

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    They want to meet with you so they can console these parents who complained, and say they 'handled it.' Everything is for appearances, after all. If you meet with them, I would be just very humble and say you are so sorry, you didn't mean to do anything but express your own opinions about college, and there have been so many changes about education, you weren't sure what to say to these kids beyond what you truly felt. (Lol)
  • SoJo16
    SoJo16
    I was discussing this point with my mom, after expressing surprise that someone I grew up with was now an RN. "I thought going to college was frowned upon?" I said. "Not if you learn a trade to make a living" she corrected. Guess going away to college solely to escape their clutches doesn't qualify.
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"I thought going to college was frowned upon?" I said. "Not if you learn a trade to make a living" she corrected.

That's "old light" when you pay attention to what ToMo3 says. And I think it's getting much easier for dubs to not pay attention to things they don't really care to hear from WT. I really think that we exJWs have paid much closer attention to the JW broadcraps than the sheeple do. I think my parents usually fall asleep when they try to watch those snoozefests.

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

Sounds like a college made in heaven. Where can I enroll? The majority of colleges in the USA are the contrary. Not that sex, drugs, and alcohol play a roll every minute, but it’s frequent enough to have female students yelling rape every 30 minutes.

So yeah, tell those kids that possibly look up to you husband as a role model that your own life experience in college wasn’t so bad, but you cannot speak for the real college life experience for all.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Billy: I really think that we exJWs have paid much closer attention to the JW broadcraps than the sheeple do.

I 100% concur. I am WAY more up-to-date on JW "theology" now that I'm an evil underground apostate than every single active JW I know. Whenever I talk to them, I can easily trip them up on "New Light" that they don't quite have down.

It's kinda fun to make them squirm that they don't even know their "own beliefs."

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Actually SimonSays your comments reveal ignorance about college life. My college experience was similar to that of the OP. No doubt other members of this forum can also testify to a positive college or university experience.

Why not take a few classes at your local college, Simon, and see for

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

Been there done that. I must live in the wrong side of the USA, but not all college experience is peaches and cream. Maybe you just didn’t notice real life around you. Not just by what you see in television, but by seeing it personally.

http://www.popmatters.com/review/191946-the-hunting-ground/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit