Did YOU Actually Believe That You Would Never Die?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Well, "Perhaps" I would, if I kept doing more, studying meaningless crapola more, went to all of those boring meetings, sat for hours and hours at ass-emblies....but just "perhaps".

• blondie
    blondie

I always saw it "as a group" promise by the WTS, not an individual guarantee.

Also, Abraham never expected to see the promise in his lifetime. (Hebrews 11:39) A careful examination of "never dying" or "surviving" Armageddon or the GT in WT pubs, the WTS almost always uses the idea that this "may" happen or that only "Jehovah's" people "as a group" will survive.

And yet all these, although they had witness borne to them through their faith, did not get the [fulfillment of the] promise,

Actually, it is ironic that the "anointed" jws have to die to get their reward and many jws believe they won't die to receive their reward.

• clarity
    clarity

Oh yes!!!

I was gutted by the betrayal when I found out that it was a lie!

Funny, as the reality sunk in {and the shock} what really rubbed more salt in the hurt, was the smirky ..."but it is still coming very soon!"! right around the corner .... ya know.

On top of that, think of the betrayal world wide as we little dumb slaves went out and told their lies to all those other poor people!!! I'm so ashamed!

And they watched and prodded and quilted ... to make sure we did it. Evil!

c

• factfinder
    factfinder

My brother also gave up a scholorship to pioneer.

Yes- I believed I would never die for the first several years , then I began to worry I would not have Jehovah's approval. People kept emphasizing the 'probably' part of the scripture; Probably you would get away safe....

It was not very reasurring.

• cult classic
    cult classic

I absolutely believed I would live forever. Until I was in my mid 20's, then I started to think, "Hey, I keep having birthdays. What if I keep getting older? Then what's gonna happen?"

It wasn't until several years later though that I confronted my own mortality. What a blow!

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

When I was 5 had a shopping bag in my closset with canned food ready for the GT, just grab it and run. Now I'm 44 and 3rd generation JW. The only sure thing I have in my near future is DEAD!!! The sad thing is that my young adult daughter is the 4th generation of JW's and she is bittered because she knows this religion is BS, but we can't leave because my parents. (sorry for grammar errors, English is not my first language)

• kazar
    kazar

Yes I did but there was always the uncertainty that I wouldn't make it past the big A.

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

I never could envision myself living forever OR seeing the big A. It seemed too far fetched.

• alias
    alias
    Re: Did YOU Actually Believe That You Would Never Die?

I really, really hoped so.

alias

• wobble
    wobble

Yes , I believed . As for other posters above, it came as a shock to confront my own mortality.

Strangely, once I had done so, I found I was happier than before ! Part of the reason for that was , as I had stated for many years whilst still active as a JW, I did not want to live in their idea of paradise, that concept filled me with dread.

I am much happier living in the real world than some La La land of hope based on nothing but emotion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit