Did YOU Actually Believe That You Would Never Die?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Even though I was raised a Witness, I was never convinced that the End would be in 1975 or even in my lifetime.

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast

I always knew I would die. Even when I was young and convinced the Big A would be before my 30's birthday, I always felt that I wasn't good enough and God would kill me. Well, 6 months till I'm 30. I'm still waiting...

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Yes, up until the generation change of '95. Thinking back that is when it changed for me.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

No. The worst part was believing I would die because I wasn't good enough. I never liked going out in service, I hated being different from the kids at school and participation in meetings was always a struggle for me because I was terribly shy.

That's the problem with salvation through works - it's never enough.

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast

I hated that line that came inevitably at EVERY assembly, "Could you be doing more?"

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast

I remember an CO that gave a talk once when I was younger and the only thing I remember about the talk was him describing the death of my friends at school and them looking up at me asking "Why didn't you tell me? You could have preached to me and warned me but you didn't want to tell me!" The talk was about informal witnessing. And I hated informal witnessing.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

sure i did. never learned anything different. that was the worst part to come over with, when i finally found out that there's no such thing as tooth-fairies, demons and elves.

• mrquik
    mrquik

Yes, I did. I believed for 45 years of my life I would not die. I believed my mother would not die. This is the most cruel trick any organization could ever play on another human being. And to use this as a recruitment tool is downright criminal. I had to watch my mother die. I have come to the realization that I too will die. I can't put into words the anger and betrayal I feel. For those in who rationalize "Well, it wasn't all bad, was it?" That's like telling the woman who conceived a child from a rape "Well, it wasn't all bad, was it?"

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast
    That's like telling the woman who conceived a child from a rape "Well, it wasn't all bad, was it?"

Were you a second, third generation JW?

• designs
    designs

My JW mother did, right up to the very last moment of her life which was taken by cancer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit