More apostate hating from the Watchtower

by Igot2bme 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    Since the quote cannot be found on the internet, it is quite possible that the term scholar is loosely being used to refer to some JW in the Bethel writing department.

Since the writing department consider themselves the only true bible scholars, I would not be at all surprised if that was the case.

• Jesuit Scholar
  • LV101
    LV101

WTWizard --- yes, we can only hope.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I've had a careful look at the article, and I agree that it is shocking, but it might be difficult to present a clear cut case to non-Witnesses, even though we all know ourselves that the purpose of the article is to incite fear and hatred of apostates. The actual mention of apostates is a quotation from a "bible scholar", so I'm fairly sure if any journalist went to the Society about it they would just say "we were only quoting a secular source, why don't you investigate them?"

But this is exactly the same thing I was talking about in the other thread yesterday. The Society chose to quote that particular passage because it advances the rhetorical point of the article. It happens to use the word "apostates", which for the Society is a technical term used to refer to a certain group of Jehovah's Witnesses. Other commentaries referring to the same passage use different language. For instance, Montgomery's commentary refers to "the slaughter of the personnel and followers of the Baal cult ... through the ruse of Jehu himself celebrating a great sacrifice (v. 19, in v. 25 holocaust) to the Baal in his temple" (A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Books of Kings, 1951, p. 410). The Word commentary however happens to use the word "apostate", which is loaded with extra meaning for JWs and so advances the application of this story to the present-day situation among Jehovah's Witnesses. This simply wasn't a historical article about an ancient personage. The article repeatedly drew parallels between that ancient situation and the present-day social circumstance in the congregation.

"JEHU was a champion of pure worship. In carrying out this role, he was energetic, prompt, relentless, zealous, and courageous. Jehu manifested qualities that we would do well to imitate."

"Today, no servant of Jehovah uses physical force against opponents of pure worship [a.k.a "apostates"]. 'Vengeance is mine,' God says. (Heb.10:30) But to rid the congregation of potentially corrupting influences, Christian elders may have to act with courage similar to that of Jehu. (1 Cor. 5:9-13) And all members of the congregation need to be determined to avoid the company of disfellowshipped individuals [a.k.a. "apostates"].—2 John 9-11.

"No doubt you can see that circumstances faced by Christians today require that they manifest certain qualities possessed by Jehu. For instance, how should we react if tempted to engage in any activity that Jehovah condemns?"

"When it comes to our godly devotion, we cannot tolerate any rivalry toward Jehovah."

"Yet, it does provide a lesson for us. We can never take our relationship with Jehovah for granted."

Non-Witnesses would need to understand that the word "apostate" isn't simply a biblical expression; it is a label used by the Society to refer to certain people among Jehovah's Witnesses as well as former members with social ties to other Jehovah's Witnesses. The phrase "slaughter of apostates" isn't simply something from a dusty Bible commentary but has added meaning on part of the use of the term "apostates" by the Society. It adds to the climate of repression and fear. Also the threat of shunning is quite paramount here. The Society may deny that shunning exists or is compulsory but the analogy between Jehu and the modern-day congregation kind of breaks down without it. The "slaughter of apostates" corresponds to "Christian elders ... rid[ding] the congregation of potentially corrupting influences" (hmmm, notice "potentially," now its no longer simply apostates but preemptively getting rid of those with potential of becoming apostates?). Now when Jehu slaughtered all those apostates, it was problem solved for him. Those persons ceased to be an influence on the rest of the people. (And he made the mighty point that nobody messes around with Jehu — unless you are Shalmaneser III, that is). In order for the purge analogy to work, apostates purged by elders today must similarly be "dead" to other JWs. Hence the reference to shunning: "all members of the congregation need to be determined to avoid the company of disfellowshipped individuals". This is phrased weaker than "Stay away and shun all apostates", but the message is clear — someone who has been disfellowshipped has effectively been "slaughtered" by the elders. The person for all intents and purposes is "dead".

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Its the old old story this Jehu guy just like many others gives himself credence by claiming God told him to do what we would now consider as war crimes or war crimes against humanity he was making out his actions were sanctioned by God and people fell into line just because of his say so.

It's crazy just like the Watchtower leaders.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Seems to me that the best way to hurt the Borg is to publish Watchtower articles from the kool-aid edition. They come off as loony and culty enough without any of our additional commentary.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Leolaia - EXCELLENT analysis, as usual!

Mad Sweeney - I like your idea!! Publishing the articles from the "Kool-aide" edition! And have Leolaia write the analyses!!

• Violia
    Violia

I wonder if the ACLU would be of some help? They take on all kinds of causes where certain groups are oppressed.

http://www.aclu.org/

• Violia
    Violia

I also wonder if we should keep all discussions regarding these topics in the Members Only forums. It would make it a bit harder for the casual jws to quote from this forum.

• Igot2bme
    Igot2bme

Flipper-...No wonder so many of our family members don't associate with us !

@Flipper-I have been recieving an aggressive shunning and slandering from my family in the org. My son and the rest of my inlaws have completly turned thier backs on me and this has just been in the last couple of months. They are warning others in the KH that I am an apostate and to not have any dealings with me. But since this mentally diseased WT has come out I recieved a letter in the mail from my mother in law asking me to longer visit her, I am basically dead to her unless I come back to Jehover (fat f*cking chance!). This just after I went to her house and brought her food that I know she needed because she lives on a fixed income, she never even said a word to me about the letter that she was planning on sending to me. I recieved this letter the same day I ran across this slaughter apostates WT. Needless to say it fired me up to the point of no return. I will never go back to the WT ever and further more I will be ever more diligent in helping to bring them down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit