Nov.15th WT - Quotes Dissing - Internet, Higher Education, Earning a Living

by flipper 53 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

DARKSIDE BLUES- That is so great that your mom took out loans to help you get a college education. Good for her ! I'm glad it is opening up doors for you to possible good work situations.

N. DREW- Good points. People can be led into promiscuity, prominence, and possessions just as much being Witnesses as not. And the thing about parents pressuring us to get baptized ? I felt that pressure many years ago. Wish I hadn't got naptized. Would have saved me lots of grief throughout life.

MRS. JONES- I'm so sorry your son's friend is getting pressured to get baptized in the JW's. What are parents thinking when doing this ? I'm glad that you and your husband can be there to be a support to him and offer him friendship and a place to stay if he needs it. You and hubby are beautiful people. Proud to call you our friends ! I'm excited to hear your oldest is applying to college now ! Awesome news ! Tell him the Flippers are proud of him and excited for him ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• mindseye
    mindseye

Vigilant Christians refrain from using the world to the full with regard to higher education. Many people in this world consider higher education an indispensable stepping-stone to prestige and an affluent life.

And what scares the WTS even more is that most of us consider higher education as an indespensable tool to learn new things and broaden our horizons. I've known people who take classes after graduating just to explore some new subjects. Of course the WTS doesn't want their followers to learn for learning's sake. They might learn about EVOLUTION or PHILOSOPHY, *gasp*. Or they might become more logical thinkers, which is bad news for the WT.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Keep it up WTS. Losing more & more young ones, and wonder why? At this rate, the generation of 1914 will pass away, and no one will be there to take its place.

Skeeter

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

"Translation : The WT society wants young people to ONLY get a minimum education so they can control them more, dumb them down to work for free knocking on doors preaching and placing WT's & Awakes with people so they can be enslaved to the WT society the rest of their lives and not live for themselves and their own personal happiness."

You hit the fucking nail on the head, FLIPPER. I really need to avert my eyes the next time I see a reference to this article... or any article talking about education. I feel by blood pressure literally rising...

Hey CEDARS, this would make a great follow-up article for 'The Independent'! Former members are mentally diseased, and people who want an education are greedy,arrogant assholes.

I am not sure how much longer I can put up this front.

• mamalove
    mamalove

I think the views of education can really vary depending on the socioeconomic area and culture of the city the cong is in. Many people I grew up with went to college. But a dorm type of education, totally unheard of!

• agonus
    agonus

You got it Flip. Maybe the GB would do well to stay away from JWs who have received "higher education" due to the demonic influence these folks might bring in. Like, let's say, the entire legal team that runs the frickin' show.

• AK MCGRATH
  • red21
    red21

In the 1970s they discourage it just as much. In fact, one elder harrassed me for going, always making fun of me. However, my father who was a hard worker all his life told me that I could make my living sitting down or standing up...and he adivised sitting down. He encouraged me to go despire what WT said. As a result, I have been able to care for my family for many years. Higher ed is not just for prestige but gives you a leg up over others...it is indespensible when available. I have seen many without it struggle much harder over the years to the detriment of their very health. So, this is terrible advice on their part.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Luckily, though, it seems as if a lot of younger JWs are going for higher education anyway.

• talesin
    talesin

Internet -- what BS!!! They speak out of both sides of their mouths. My parents have a 'friend' who owns a computer business (a single elder, actually, my age, that they used as bait to try to lure me back 'in' about 10 yrs ago)... my nephew has a BSc in Comp.Sci. They work online, for cryin' out loud! It's all about "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" ie,,, get your education if you want, and as long as you put in your hours and your donation, we'll gloss over it.

Lying hypocrites!

I'm wondering how many kids that are home-schooled by JWs are going to be eligible for higher learning institutes? That is, if their parents are strong in the 'faith', and truly uninterested in education. (As a rule, I am 100% in favour of home-schooling, but contemplating the 'bare bones' minimum most JW kids probably get, is a scary proposition.)

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit