"Mentally diseased" article to be published in The Independent tomorrow

by cedars 311 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hey, Shamus!!

Who died and left you as the thread cop???

Oh, and BUMP!

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello there Zid,

I see the she-Devil is busy as always :))

• shamus100
    shamus100

I am biting my tongue. ;)

• still thinking
    still thinking

for you shamus.....bite me!!!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

............and did I notice the WT says that apostates are to be avoided 'AT ALL COSTS'?

What costs? Slaughtering them like Jehu?

• cedars
    cedars

I thought I would update this thread to reflect recent progress that has been made by Hairyhegoat in bringing the article to the attention of the Staffordshire Police.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/216878/1/Staffordshire-Police-Contacted-about-WTBTS-Mentally-Diseased-WatchtowerArticale

I also wanted to take the opportunity to convey my latest thoughts on the "slaughter of apostates" quote, as I have posted on the thread above.

I feel the November 15th article may be worthy of a mention [to the authorities] in the light of recent work that has been put in by DT on the following thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/216480/1/I-Called-the-Headquarters-About-the-Slaughter-of-Apostates-Quote

Here's what the article in question says on page 5:

Jehu’s motive for carrying out his commission is evident from his subsequent words to faithful Jehonadab: “Do go along with me and look uponmy toleration of no rivalry toward Jehovah.” Jehonadab accepted that invitation, got into Jehu’s chariot, and rode with him to Samaria. There, Jehu “acted slyly, for the purpose of destroying theworshipers of Baal.”—2 Ki.10:15-17,19.

Jehu announced that he intended to hold “a great sacrifice” for Baal. (2 Ki. 10:18, 19) “This is a clever play onwords on the part of Jehu,” says one scholar. While the term employed here “generally means ‘sacrifice,’ it is also used of the ‘slaughter’ of apostates.” Because Jehu did not want any Baal worshippers to miss this event, he assembled all of them in the house of Baal and had them dress in distinctive attire. “As soon as he finished rendering up the burnt offering,” Jehu had 80 armed men slaughter Baal’s devotees. He then had the house of Baal demolished and its site set aside for privies, making it unfit for worship.—2 Ki. 10:20-27.

It is true that Jehu spilled much blood. Yet, the Scriptures present him as a courageous man who freed Israel from the oppressive domination of Jezebel and her family. If any leader of Israel was to succeed in doing this, he had to be a man of courage, determination, and zeal.“It was rough work and was executed with relentless thoroughness,” comments one Bible dictionary. “Gentler measures probably would have failed to eradicate Baal worship from Israel.”

No doubt you can see that circumstances faced by Christians today require that they manifest certain qualities possessed by Jehu. For instance, how should we react if tempted to engage in any activity that Jehovah condemns? We should be prompt, courageous, and dynamic in rejecting it. When it comes to our godly devotion, we cannot tolerate any rivalry toward Jehovah.

I was at first dismissive of this article as it seems quite vague on first reading. However, in the light of recent research done by DT where he/she succeeded in getting the actual book, the 1985 'Word Biblical Commentary' by the bible scholar T. R. Hobbs and checking the context of his quote, I actually feel that the language used in this article may be considered extremely inflammatory in the context of UK hate laws.

Here is DTs post with the context, in which the bible scholar DENOUNCES Jehu's behavior:

I finally received a copy of the Word Biblical Commentary Volume 13. Here is the context of that quote from the section discussing 2 Kings chapter 10 on page 129.

"18 Jehu's attempt to rid Israel of Baal worship constitutes the second thrust of his revolt, a religious purge. The episode is again characterized by its portrayal of the ruthless deceit of Jehu (Hebrew words) "Ahab served Baal a little." This might well be an accurate description of Ahab. Although he did build the Baal temple (1Kgs 16:32), he also named his sons Ahaziah and Jehoram, names that bear the divine name. However, the point cannot be pressed since the biblical verdict on Ahab is far from flattering (1Kgs 16:33). Jehu's statement is born of his deceit. If the Israelites had thought that Ahab was apostate, Jehu wished them to believe that he was far worse.

19 (Hebrew Words) "for a great sacrifice." This is a clever play on words on the part of Jehu. While the term (Hebrew word) generally means "sacrifice," it is also used of the "slaughter" of apostates (cf. 1 Kgs 13:2: 2 Kgs 23:20). The writer's comment concerning Jehu's intention also contains a sinister pun on the homonyms (Hebrew word) "to serve" and (Hebrew word) "to destroy.""

Later he has this to say:

"23-24 Jehu's actions are hardly commendable. The deliberate way he sets up the worshipers of Baal for extermination gives a chilling view of his character."

From this I conclude that he was using the normal meaning of the term apostates and was referring to worshipers of Baal specifically. He doesn't seem to be endorsing the loaded language that is used by the Watchtower Society when they speak of apostates. He is also critical of Jehu, which contrasts with the way the Watchtower Society praises him and almost treats him like a hero.

I thought it was interesting what 2 Kings 10:31 (KJV) says, "But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the LORD God of Israel with all his heart: for he departed not from the sins of Jeroboam, which made Israel to sin."

By Watchtower standards, Jehu was also an apostate.

So in summary, the Watchtower lauds Jehu as being 'courageous, determined, zealous, relentlessly thorough, and calls for Christians today to imitate his actions (which included the "slaughter of apostates") by being similarly "prompt, courageous and dynamic" in tolerating no rivalry towards Jehovah.

In making this assertion, they use the provocative language "slaughter of apostates" which is taken out of context from a book in which the actions of Jehu are denounced as ruthless, deceitful, sinister, and "hardly commendable".

I feel, when considering all of the above, the above evidence should be passed on to the police as a recent example of the Watchtower's hate language.

Cedars

JEHU TOLERATED NO RIVALRY TOWARD JEHOVAH

• Heaven
    Heaven

Way to go Botchtower for continuing the ageless, timeless bullshiite perpetuation of religious intolerance and hatred toward anyone who dares to hold a differing opinion than you.

I have news for you.... 7 million people versus 7 billion shows your ideas are not really of value to most of the inhabitants of planet Earth.

I cannot fathom how anyone would want to align themselves with the ideals of a murdering, psychopathic a$$hole like Jehu.

• Lozhasleft
  • talesin
    talesin

CEDARS!

GREAT WORK, MAN!

I just spent 6 hours reading the whole discussion ---- fascinating, to say the least.

It was great to see quite a few folks who are not and have never been, JWs, responding and asking questions. Others were expressing that they would now be asking pertinent questions for discussions the next time JWs knocked on their door.

Also, the spreading of this story, the news from Brazil, OY OY OY,,,, what I wouldn't give to have this article be the '100th monkey'!

Thank you, for making this happen, Cedars.

tal

( it's the first time in, well, EVER, that I've felt any kind of hope that this evil cult may be brought to its knees )

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Excellent article!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit