beards - the truth on the matter?

by ekruks 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

wobble- I got the 'Moses!' tease.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Just saw a 7 day Adventist on the Canadian news. He had a beard, and was a leader in the Church. They are announcing that the end is coming next month. Maybe it's because beards make you prophesy.

Or, maybe it's because they don't want the brothers to look like those Dam Filthy Apes.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

My honest belief is that it was instituted decades ago to keep witnesses from looking like Adventists or anyone else. It then morphed into a necessity (sorta like always wearing a suit and tie) that it be maintained......because keeping ourselves separate from the world was a must....and this was one of the ways to do it. Not, like Punk said....it is just for control. If you balk at the rule then you obviously are selfish and independent. You dont' have the right heart condition. If you did have the right heart conditoin you would readily accept it because it is part of Jehovah's arrangement. It is part of Jehovah's arrangement because that is what the GB says....and the GB is directed by God. God hasn't seen fit to change the rule yet so you are obviously "running ahead" of the organization with your independent attitude.

In one of my previous arguments with DJEggnogg.....he managed to bring up a classic JW line. He said somethign to the effect of "would you want some guy in baggy, stained clothes and a gross, unkept beard at YOUR door? No. By being cleanly shaven....there is no mistaking who is at your door".

I wanted to cry because it is the same reasoning you get from every witness that obeys implicitly without understanding. Somehow, having a beard automatically means that you will also 1) wear smelly, unwashed clothing and 2) refuse to keep it groomed. And it isn't the lack of beard that alerts you that a JW is at your door. It is the fact that they are in suits, they are carrying briefcases, and they are holding a magazine and or a bible. Moreover, there is an elder at my hall that has yellow/brown teeth. He constantly wears suits/shirts/ties that have massive stains (sometimes he will put together an ensamble that features a stained suit jacket, stained pants, a stained shirt AND a stained tie. It was actually one big stain). His breath is vile and you cannot tell where his nose hairs stop and his mustache begins.

THAT, my friends, is acceptable. That is what Jehovah wants. But Ben Bernanke at your door? Unacceptable.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I must have looked quite Christlike

lol - I grew mine to look Satan-like

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Cultural reason? I'm "hispanic" and I never heard that. In fact, in the spanish congregations, you couldn't have long sideburns.

I think it's just an attempt at being seperate from the world. In reality, seperate from the mainstream so they look like dorks. I've had a mustache since 6th grade, (since I'm Hispanic, it was easy). I sometimes grow a goatie

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Evidently neither God's message nor his holy spirit is powerful enough, in their estimation, to draw a potential sheep to his chosen people on it's own. The no beard policy was put in place lest the sight of an unshaven face cause an interested one to turn away from the one true religion. Evidently they feel God's holy spirit can overpower the moustache and the soul patch and is also able to "make the very stones cry out" with the good news, should the need arise, unless of course said stones are covered by some sort of fuzzy moss or Lichen. (that would be a deal breaker) If you ask me, a beard would be the perfect place to hide contraband literature during the tribulation.

• N.drew
    N.drew

That's it! exwhyzee "...Jehovah's holy spirit isn't powerful enough to draw a potential new sheep to his chosen people on it's own". That is the evil. That is what is wrong with the Watchtower. Bible says "flee to the mountain". Babylon says that mountain that you "think" you see whenever you look at it that looks so prominent, is in your imagination, if you flee there you will DIE. No you won't. You won't die. Can the kingdom halls ever become someplace a person can flee so that they might find rest, refreshment, and some wisdom, without any awful guilt? I think some of us are hoping so. Come as you are, come sometimes, come once. Know Jehovah, what is wrong with that?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I agree that it was rutherfords attempt to take russel worshippers and make them his own

I am pretty sure that's why it started.

I think it continues because WTS is a dangerous mind-control cult. They clearly want to direct all aspects of the members' lives and they needed something for the men to balance their "no-pants" rules for the ladies.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

No pants suits for sisters, OTWO. Now that's what I've been talking about. Sisters need to wear pants.

What needs to happen at one of those Silloqi's (sorry can't spell it) at a assembly. A sister meditates, and talks out loud (you know what people think about that already) to herself, but really into that microphone. She says something like, Geez there is 5 weekends in October ...that would be great for Auxilliary Pioneering, and to start a fad wearing a pants suit. Then I will encourage my husband not to shave and he can have that beard that he has always wanted. Somehow I don't think that will happen.

• blondie
    blondie

1) Rutherford wanted to squash Russell's image in the organization

*** yb74 pp. 97-98 Part 1—Germany ***But more equipment was needed. For that reason Brother Balzereit asked Brother Rutherford for permission to buy a rotary press. Brother Rutherford saw the necessity and agreed, but on one condition. He had noticed that over the years Brother Balzereit had grown a beard very similar to the one that had been worn by Brother Russell. His example soon caught on, for there were others who also wanted to look like Brother Russell. This could give rise to a tendency toward creature worship, and Brother Rutherford wanted to prevent this. So during his next visit, within hearing of all the Bible House family, he told Brother Balzereit that he could buy the rotary press but only on the condition that he shave off his beard. Brother Balzereit sadly agreed and afterward went to the barber.

Until 1968, Jesus was depicted as beardless despite the Law code about Israelites wearing beards and not wanting to look like Romans. A subtle hint that to be Christlike was to be beardless (until 1968). Why the change?

*** w68 5/1 p. 286 Questions From Readers ***Biblical evidence is the most reliable testimony to be found on this question, and a recent careful review of what it says indicates that Jesus did indeed have a beard.

2) Beards = rebellion = drugs

Then why no beards today?

*** w68 5/1 p. 288 Questions From Readers ***Today Christian ministers, like the early Christians, are concerned with neatness and cleanness, but they strive to dress inconspicuously, so that their appearance does not in any way detract from the dignity or the effectiveness of the message they bear. (2 Cor. 6:3, 4) In recent years in many lands a beard or long hair on a man attracts immediate notice and may, in the minds of the majority, classify such a person undesirably with extremists or as rebels against society. God’s ministers want to avoid making any impression that would take attention away from their ministry or hinder anyone from listening to the truth. They know that people are watching true Christians very critically and that to a great extent they judge the entire congregation and the good news by the minister’s appearance as a representative of the congregation.

In paradise restored on earth it would not be out of order if men returned to wearing beards, in perfect fashion, like Adam in Eden.

So 43 years later when you see a man in a beard and a nice suit do you think EXTREMIST or REBEL?

*** yb78 p. 13 1978 Yearbook of Jehovah’s Witnesses ***For example, in the Philippines, a brother was engaged in witnessing activity on the streets and noticed a bearded young man with a group of people. The young man looked somewhat familiar. It developed that he had formerly been associated with Jehovah’s Witnesses but had gotten in with the wrong crowd and was now on drugs.

*** yb77 p. 239 Norway ***A Bible study was started with him. After three studies he quit smoking, and after six he resigned from his church. He also made changes as to hair, beard, and so forth.

*** yb76 pp. 256-257 Sri Lanka ***Gradually, the power of truth could be seen. His clothing became cleaner, the ash disappeared, along with the flower, and his hair was allowed to grow normally, while the beard was completely shaved off.

*** yb75 p. 18 1975 Yearbook of Jehovah’s Witnesses ***The publisher did not approach the man right away as he did not look too inviting; he wore long hair and was heavily bearded. Suddenly there was no one else on the street to talk to, so he handed the individual a handbill for a public meeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit