Just why would god create dinos??

by highdose 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

Saying that love must be a part of the universe because you had to come to know it some how is a non-starter. That line of reasoning can be applied equally to anything you know that are also human constructs. Did God make hate into the fabric of the universe? Is the English Language part of the universe? What about Post modern Art? How did anyone come to know sadness if it isn't part of the universe? These things aren't found in the universe, they are found in us. They are human constructs. Some are evolutionary, others are emergent properties of our evolution. But they are woven into the universe. The universe is a vast amoral expanse which is overwhelmingly hostile to life.

Claiming parasites are a result of evolution doesn't get god off the hook. John Haught, as I mentioned before, has come up with some bizarre and twisted theology to try and explain why god would set into motion something he would know full well from the outset would create a world of horrors that belongs in some cosmic circus side show. If you believe in a creator god, then he is responsible for the eons of pain, fear, and violence that he beset on the concept he called "life."

So if a cold amoral universe, and a violent diseased planet, and the bible having been shown to be a set of fanciful myths no different from greek or roman mythology, and you still think "well, there are answers, we just don't know them." Is there anything that you could know that would convince you that your world view is wrong? How much would it take? Another holocaust? The near eradication of mankind by natural forces? Alien invasion? Or is it a matter of "It doesn't matter what happens, It's jesus or bust, I'll just work around reality as I need to?" That is something I had to ask myself when I was still a witness. With platitudes like "don't lean on your own understanding" and "the light get's brighter" I could answer just about any theological or scientific question with a mere shrug and that was enough. Is that really enough?

• tec
    tec

Saying that love must be a part of the universe because you had to come to know it some how is a non-starter

This is what I thought YOU were saying... when it comes to hate, or violence, or parasites, etc. (or at least, a part of God that He made into us) See your statement below:

If you believe in a creator god, then he is responsible for the eons of pain, fear, and violence that he beset on the concept he called "life."

On to the rest:

So if a cold amoral universe,

The universe can be cold, but I don't know how it can be amoral.

and a violent diseased planet

Which somehow still manages to possess beauty and life and love and mercy and selflessness... Just because we don't know how it all works together doesn't mean that it DOESN'T all work together. God is concerned with more than just the physical world... He is concerned with the spirit of a person. He also did not promise that this life would be easy. On the contrary. But sometimes, as I have learned, suffering is the only way that some people learn empathy or love for others. Doesn't mean God causes it... but it might be a reason why he allows it.

and the bible having been shown to be a set of fanciful myths no different from greek or roman mythology,

this is an entirely different topic, but while this might have been speculated upon, it is not SHOWN...

Is there anything that you could know that would convince you that your world view is wrong? How much would it take? Another holocaust? The near eradication of mankind by natural forces? Alien invasion?

By world view, do you mean my faith in Christ and God? If so, then no... none of these things would convince me that they are not real.

I have gone without answers in the past, while maintaining faith that there WERE answers and those answers were in line with the truth CHrist showed us about His Father. And now, too many times I have received those answers after waiting for them... to again doubt that ANY question I might still have will go unanswered.

Do you think that not having an answer means that there is no answer... or that the topic of the question is then false?

I am not working 'around reality'. I am just not limiting myself to what can currently be proven or shown... since we are always adding to our understanding of the world around us. So my 'world view' is not set... other than my faith in Christ and God. If you could prove that there was no such thing as Christ and God, well then I'd have to listen. But you can't. And I have too much evidence of them in my life, to doubt them for someone who can only think that he/she knows. That isn't meant as an insult. None of us has intimate (we were there) knowledge of the beginning, nor intimate knowedge of our own deaths.

Peace,

Tammy

• unshackled
    unshackled

Night at the Robury (I'm missing a letter in that word, and can't find one to copy/paste)

Tammy...do you still have that same keyboard without an X? That was months ago...before your holidays if I recall. Too bad, I have a stack of old ones stored away at our office. We may have to start a fundraiser for a new keyboard: An X for Tec!

• dgp
    dgp

Dinos were created so Fred Flintstone would have a friend.

• dogon
    dogon

There is no evidence of god. Nothing in the known world proves that god, any god exists. I used to ask this same question to the elders and was told I think too much. I was told that they were to prepare the earth for man. LOL Really? God can create the universe but needs to create these beasts to make the earth ready for man? If that’s the best you got you ain't got much. The fact is they cannot answer it and will eventually tell you that we will not have the answers to all questions and may need to wait on some questions till after the big A or H depending on how you say it.

Tec, you are running in circles. First you say you have evidence in your life, well many people of every religion say the same line. So it is much more likely that people are putting the label of god on things like coincidence and happenstance than some god or gods having a hand in that tickle they get in their leg when they look at their baby or a sunset or finding a lost 100 dollar bill when it’s time to go to the assembly.

Next you say that no one can prove that god does not exist. True, no one can prove a universal negative. You cannot prove that a tea pot is not orbiting the moon and there is as much evidence that that is real as that god is real. You say "your faith" Faith by definition is believing without evidence. If you believe without evidence and you are going on faith which that is what you are doing than no one can argue with you. If you have faith that there are aliens that are visiting the earth then no lack of evidence will change your mind. In other words if you want to believe in something facts will never be a stumbling block. Its not living in reality but its your choice.

"I am not working 'around reality'. I am just not limiting myself to what can currently be proven or shown... since we are always adding to our understanding of the world around us. " But you are working around reality because every find of fact or discovery supports the conclusion you so hard try to disbelieve. No amount of facts that do not support you way of thinking will change your mind and the most trivial or insignificant fact that can be twisted to support your belief in the most weak manner is trumpeted by people like you as poof of the existence of god at the same time dismissing the mountain of solid evidence to the contrary. So you are working around reality. But you can do that if you wish. Jesus is some 2000 years late and either is a dead beat dad or nonexistent.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

They also make great vitamins.

• tec
    tec

Tammy...do you still have that same keyboard without an X? That was months ago...before your holidays if I recall. Too bad, I have a stack of old ones stored away at our office. We may have to start a fundraiser for a new keyboard: An X for Tec!

Yes the same one, lol.

Its more ... um... lack of drive, than it is lack of funds. I am 'apathetic' to my keyboard cause.

Peace,

Tammy

• tec
    tec

Oops, didn't see that you were addressing me Dogon. BRB :)

• tec
    tec

Tec, you are running in circles.

I am not certain how, but lets take a look.

First you say you have evidence in your life, well many people of every religion say the same line. So it is much more likely that people are putting the label of god on things like coincidence and happenstance than some god or gods having a hand in that tickle they get in their leg when they look at their baby or a sunset or finding a lost 100 dollar bill when it’s time to go to the assembly.

"Much more likely" is not proof either, you know.

In either case, we don't know what is much more likely. We can't see a very big picture, or very far ahead. We are limited in our perspective of the world. No doubt there are plenty of coincidences and good fortunes that are attributed to God of all religions. But so? It is also possible that many of these people know/sense that there is a creator, and that is why they are drawn to one, why they look to men or prophets or holy writings or religion to show them how to find and/or please this creator. Why they attribute every good thing to this creator.

Someone else's evidence is their business. It is between them and God. Not me, them, and God. My evidence and my life is my business.

Next you say that no one can prove that god does not exist.

I only said that in response to something that was said to me... questioning me if there was anything that could get me to question my faith in Christ and God. Prove to me that there is no Christ or God, then I would have to listen and disregard my faith and the evidence backing it. But no one can prove that. It was just in response. I don't use that to go around evangelizing.

You cannot prove that a tea pot is not orbiting the moon and there is as much evidence that that is real as that god is real.

No, there is NO evidence that a tea pot is orbiting the moon. There IS evidence of a creator. There are witness accounts - written and verbal/ancient and modern (you may dismiss them if you wish, but they are evidence). There is the fact that every culture and people have sought out and/or believed in something spiritual. God, gods, goddesses, animal spirits, etc.

These things are evidence that you can then choose to dismiss or accept.

Then there is personal evidence in my life - gifts of the spirit (peace, mildness, strength), prayers answered, understanding granted. That is for me... and perhaps another witness account that may be dismissed or accepted.

You say "your faith" Faith by definition is believing without evidence.

No, faith is believing without seeing. Without proof. Faith is the belief and hope for things to come, that we do not yet see or have. But it is not without evidence. It is not blind. What one person accepts as evidence, however, might not be the same as what another person accepts.

If you believe without evidence and you are going on faith which that is what you are doing than no one can argue with you.

See above.

If you have faith that there are aliens that are visiting the earth then no lack of evidence will change your mind.

Well, if I did think that, then I wouldn't have just thought it up out of the blue. There would have to be something there... some sort of evidence, even if it isn't accepted by most people.

In other words if you want to believe in something facts will never be a stumbling block. Its not living in reality but its your choice.

I want to believe in the truth. If you have a fact concerning the truth, then by all means, please share it.

But you are working around reality because every find of fact or discovery supports the conclusion you so hard try to disbelieve.

Like what fact or discovery?

No amount of facts that do not support you way of thinking will change your mind and the most trivial or insignificant fact that can be twisted to support your belief in the most weak manner is trumpeted by people like you as poof of the existence of god at the same time dismissing the mountain of solid evidence to the contrary.

Again, like what?

To be clear though, I have never spouted anything to be 'proof' of God. (and by proof, I assume you mean scientific proof... which we do not YET have)

So you are working around reality.

What is reality to you, then? How would you describe it?

But you can do that if you wish.

Thank you. As can you.

Jesus is some 2000 years late and either is a dead beat dad or nonexistent.

Since he never said when he would return (and specifically said he did not even know, himself), then I don't think he can be deemed late.

Peace to you,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit