Just why would god create dinos??

by highdose 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KingDavidwasframed
    KingDavidwasframed

Hey Dino's made the inside cover of the Green NWT!

Designs, that was funny!! I remember that lol

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If someone could also ask God why he created mosquitos, I would appreciate it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Its a valid question and we can question why so many things that to US seem "pointless" for God to have created, so why did He?

Of course if God indeed created via an evolutionary process and endowed his creation with the ability to adapt and survive, then soem things become clearer.

Even the theory of evolution doesn't explain WHY dinosaurs came to be, only that they were and they they changed over the millions of years they were the dominate species on the planet.

As someone the believes God created LIFE and allowe life to evolve, the issu of why dinosaurs is not an issue at all, but it is still soemthing facinating to ponder.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Very little said in WT literature about them other than:

*** g90 2/8 p. 11 What Happened to the Dinosaurs? ***

The Genesis Account and Dinosaurs

While the radioactive dating method is innovative, it is still based on speculation and assumption. In contrast, the Bible account in the first chapter of Genesis simply states the general order of creation. It allows for possibly thousands of millions of years for the formation of the earth and many millenniums in six creative eras, or “days,” to prepare the earth for human habitation.

Some dinosaurs (and pterosaurs) may indeed have been created in the fifth era listed in Genesis, when the Bible says that God made “flying creatures” and “great sea monsters.” Perhaps other types of dinosaurs were created in the sixth epoch. The vast array of dinosaurs with their huge appetites would have been appropriate considering the abundant vegetation that evidently existed in their time.—Genesis 1:20-24.

When the dinosaurs had fulfilled their purpose, God ended their life. But the Bible is silent on how he did that or when. We can be sure that dinosaurs were created by Jehovah for a purpose, even if we do not fully understand that purpose at this time. They were no mistake, no product of evolution. That they suddenly appear in the fossil record unconnected to any fossil ancestors, and also disappear without leaving connecting fossil links, is evidence against the view that such animals gradually evolved over millions of years of time. Thus, the fossil record does not support the evolution theory. Instead, it harmonizes with the Bible’s view of creative acts of God.

*** w73 7/15 p. 447 Questions From Readers ***

? When did God create dinosaurs, and when did they become extinct?—U.S.A.

The Bible does not provide specific answers to this question. According to the Genesis account, animals were created during the fifth and sixth creative periods or ‘days.’ If the Hebrew expression translated “great sea monsters” [Hebrew, tan?ni?nim′] includes dinosaurs, which often inhabited swampy, watery areas, this would mean that dinosaurs were created on the fifth “day.” (Gen. 1:21) We do not know whether they continued to exist until man was created (toward the close of the sixth “day”). At the very latest it seems likely that they must have disappeared off the earth at the time of the flood of Noah’s day. Dinosaurs were reptiles, and some kinds of dinosaurs bear strong resemblance structurally and otherwise to lizards (sauros is, in fact, the Greek word for “lizard”; saura in Leviticus 11:29, LXX). Not all types of dinosaurs were of such gigantic size. Hence, even if they had survived till the Flood, this would not have required taking pairs of the mammoth varieties into the ark. Other smaller members of the particular family or “kind” to which these belonged would have sufficed to fulfill the divine command.—Gen. 6:19, 20; 7:14.

George

P.S. are all dinosaurs reptiles?

• shamus100
    shamus100

Why did god create dino's?

Because he was bored as hell. Plus Noah needed a little drama on the ark. I believe things didn't work out too well for him, either.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

more to the point, why would he create wee little monkeys

• shamus100
    shamus100

Because monkeys are cute, adorable, and are the cause of endless discussion.

Ooooh, just look at my pelt. I'm adorable. ** fixes fur **

• tec
    tec

PSac makes a good point above.

But dinos were pretty violent, basic animals who killed without mercy. I know not all of them but alot of them did.

So are most animals... carnivores, at least. Or at least they seem violent to us. To themselves, they're just surviving. Either way, this is not unique to dinosaurs.

The ones that were vegetarian ate huge masses of vegatation, how is that productive to the earth?

As long as it is not depleted, as in it IS growing back, then its not an issue.

If god created man in his image then what base image did he use for the dinos?
    You would have to ask that of EVERY single species on the planet, though, wouldn't you? Image doesn't necessarily mean physical image, anyway.

And why start off with the dinos at all? Why not just create man?

He created plant-life, then animal-life, then mankind.

What is the scientific answer for the order of origins of life?

And... why also not stick a little scripture in the bible, somewhere around the point just before god rests ont he 7th day saying something like " oh yeah and i tried filing the world with monsters who had no moral code and not the brain power to be able to worship me. I let them get on with it for a few million years then killed them all off... just couldn't get them to sacrifice a lamb on the sabbath you know?!"

Probably because it wouldn't have been true?

Not everything ever done or created is written in the bible. We just get a small perspective of occurrences and the people writing the bible.

Also, the idea that God created people for the purpose of worshipping Him, is a human idea. Love and mercy are far more important than sacrifice or religion.

If someone could also ask God why he created mosquitos, I would appreciate it.

I might have told you this once before, but my son says that they are not a creation of God, but rather a government test gone wrong ;)

Peace,

Tammy

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

For the same reason he created the other 95% of species that ever existed but are now extinct. He was either a callous creator, or a collosal fuckup. You don't create an ecosystem, watch it systematically be destroyed by shifting continents, changing climates, disease, famine, and competition and then give yourself a pat on the back for incredible wisdom, or compassion.

Natural evil is a difficult problem for theodicy. Given that god could've made all life autotrophic (if you say it's impossible, you have a pretty low opinion of god's engineering skills), it's hard to come up with a justification for all life to rely on the violent death of other life in order to survive. The theologian John Haught comes up with the weak and twisted argument that it is god's grand drama, it is some incredible show unfolding before him to watch. But this only paints a portrait of a god sitting back and watching a pack of lions eat a baby elephant alive with it's intestines spilling out while it weakly yelps in fear and pain while god sits back with a foam rubber finger and a penant that says "go carnivores!" With everything that we know about biology in the modern era it becomes impossible to come up with a sane explanation that makes the designer of our biosphere a "good" individual. Theologians will try though. Most people won't care and say it's not important. The rest of us will put our head in our hands and shake our heads in a combination of incredulity at the explanations, and depression towards the intellectual apathy of those that don't care.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

Exactly my feelings as well JonathonH! Thanks for articulating it so well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit