My Letter to local Newspapaer - Your Feedback Please?

by cofty 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

My local congregation has been in the news this week following a successful application for planning permission for a quick build. A local vicar objected because the application described it as a building for "Christain worship".

Vicar fury at new home for Jehovahs

I have decided to write a letter to the editor which needs to be emailed asap. Here is what I have written, your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Reverend Knox set the planning committee an interesting challenge with his objection to the building of a new Kingdom Hall at Scremerston. Their ruling that local planning policy has very little to say about the Arian Controversy was probably wise. When the vicar went on to hint at an unpleasant reality behind the public face of the Watchtower he made an important point that deserves further comment.

I was raised in the sect and was an elder in the Berwick congregation before being ousted for “apostasy” in 1996. I still have close family members in the organisation and I have no hesitation in saying that there are plenty good people among its ranks. Shortly we will all be invited to marvel at the astonishing speed and efficiency of their building project. If they opt for their well rehearsed “quick-build” method the hall will appear at a rate that will astonish their new neighbours.

Uniformity can achieve impressive things but it comes at a crippling cost to the individual.

Under the headline “Avoid Independent Thinking”, their official journal “The Watchtower” contained this warning…

"In the world, there is a tendency to reject leadership. As one lecturer said: 'The rising education level has improved the talent pool such that followers have become so critical that they are almost impossible to lead.' But a spirit of independent thinking does not prevail in God's organization, and we have sound reasons for confidence in the men taking the lead among us." (15/9/89 p23)

Only in the strange world of religious cults - and North Korea - could independent thinking be made to sound like a crime.

In a bid to counter the ‘rising education level’ the most recent edition of the Watchtower condemns young members to a lifetime of menial work - “ young Christians are encouraged to pursue spiritual goals, getting only as much education as is required to meet their basic needs .” (15/11/11) Disciplinary action is taken against elders whose children pursue higher education.

The organisation’s control over its members is enforced through a culture of fear. Members who “take the red pill” and voice concerns about the organisation’s teachings or practices are promptly disfellowshipped, preventing loyal JWs, including close family members, from ever speaking to them again. At least shunning is a soft option when compared to execution which they regret is no longer possible.

We are not living today among theocratic nations where such members of our fleshly family relationship could be exterminated for apostasy from God and his theocratic organization as was possible and was ordered in the nation of Israel..Being limited by the laws of the worldly nation in which we live … we can take action against apostates only to a certain extent.” (WT 15/11/52)

Perhaps the most appalling indictment of this high control group is the willingness of otherwise sensible people to sacrifice their lives, and the lives of their children. The cover of the May 22 nd ‘94 edition of their magazine “The Awake” showed photographs of twenty six children under the heading “Youths Who Put God First”. Sickeningly it celebrated the obedience of these young victims who paid the ultimate price for the organisation’s prohibition against blood transfusions.

Jehovah’s Witnesses will make good neighbours to the people of Scremerston. They will park considerately, come and go quietly and keep their premises tidy, but don’t mistake cordiality with friendship. The new building will exist for the sole purpose of promoting their central doctrine, the imminence of Armageddon. The destruction of every non-JW man, woman and child is their greatest wish and constant prayer - and the subject of countless false predictions. In this context the lack of specific landscape screening on the southern boundary of the site seems less of an issue.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Very good. Will the "red pill" reference be understood by the readership.

Also, is "quick-build" still used terminology?

Good Luck

ANGUS

• yesidid
    yesidid

I personally, dont get the meaning of the "red pill".

But apart from that I think it a really, really good letter.

• blondie
    blondie

The term red pill and its opposite, blue pill, are pop culture terms that have become a common symbol for the choice between the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue) and embracing the sometimes painful truth of reality (red).

The terms were popularized in science fiction culture via the 1999 film The Matrix. In the movie, the main character Neo is offered the choice between a red pill and a blue pill, with the red pill leading to his "escape" from the Matrix , a fictional computer-generated world, while the blue pill would allow him to remain in the world with no knowledge that anything is wrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill

• cofty
    cofty

edit - hahaha beat me to it Blondie

Red Pill is a reference to the film "The Matrix".

The term red pill and its opposite, blue pill, are pop culture terms that have become a common symbol for the choice between the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue) and embracing the sometimes painful truth of reality (red). - Wiki

Maybe its too obscure? Thanks for the feedback.

• Band on the Run
  • HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

I had the exact same thoughts the first time reading it - the only thing that jumped out at me was the red pill analogy. Unless you've been in that place and made that real choice - it sounds fanciful and overly dramatic.

Otherwise, pretty good.

- Lime

• designs
    designs

Knox was wrong in his argument and the city council did the right thing according to the 1st Amendment.

• cofty
    cofty

I agree, the red pill reference is coming out.

Designs - we don't have any ammendments in England :)

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Disciplinary action is taken against elders whose children pursue higher education.

If you are going to make a statement like that, you must reference it with a readily available source. I don't think you can. Plus, the kind of action that is taken might not cause more than a raised eyebrow outside the JW/ex-JW community. It's not like they are thrown out and shunned. They might lose some 'priviledges', but that isn't automatic either.

Some JW is bound to write in trashing your character by quoting at least one case where no action was taken. I know several myself. No doubt they won't tell the whole story, but the public doesn't know that and it's doubtful they would be interested in following a lengthy debate.

At least shunning is a soft option when compared to execution which they regret is no longer possible.

That accusation by apostates is usually a misrepresentation of the WT Nov 15, 1952, QFR

The QFR says that killing apostates is against God's law and doesn't express regret. You'll get caned for that statement unless you can quote a better reference to support it. Dredging one up from 1952 won't get you many Brownie points either. If you are going to make an accusation like that, you really should use something a little more recent.

When you have a go at the Dubs, you need to be absolutely squeaky clean. Make one small slip up and they will pounce on it and parade it around like a Colonel's scalp to drag the attention away from everything you got correct.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit