My Letter to local Newspapaer - Your Feedback Please?

by cofty 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• flipper
    flipper

COFTY- Great job. Send the letter. It will inform even more people how controlling this organization is

• smiddy
    smiddy

When I was" in" CO`s had the attitude any publicity is good publicity," We can always turn it into a positive " it gets people talking about Jehovah and that`s a plus

smiddy

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I like your letter. I especially like the last paragraph.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Next to the last paragraph, re the 5-22-94 Awake cover, "...young victims who paid the ultimate price for the organisation’s prohibition against blood transfusions."

Come right out and say they died. I would even love to see it say something like,

"...an organization that proudly advertises the death of it's own people, including children, for obedience to it's rules banning blood transfusions."

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

*** w99 3/15 p. 13 "Pay Constant Attention to Your Teaching" ***

"A word of caution, though: A Bible student may be progressing rapidly but may still have some unchristian ways to overcome. So it may not be wise to be unduly close socially with the individual. Proper Christian boundaries should be maintained."

*** W11 07/15 p. 31 "When Someone We Love Leaves Jehovah" ***

"But what will those dear parents do? Will they obey Jehovah’s clear direction ? Or will they rationalize that they can have regular association with their disfellowshipped son and call it “necessary family business”? In making their decision, they must not fail to consider how Jehovah feels about what they are doing. His purpose is to keep the organization clean and, if possible, to incite wrongdoers to come to their senses. How can Christian parents support that purpose?"

*** A/09 July p.29 “Balancing Family Loyalty” ***

" Although the Bible makes a clear distinction between true and false teachings, God allows each person the freedom to choose how he or she will respond. (Deuteronomy 30:19, 20) No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family. Does study of the Bible lead to family breakup? No. In fact the Bible encourages a husband and wife who practice different religions to remain together as a family – 1 Corinthians 7:12,13."

*** W/58 05/01 p.261 "Is Your Religion the Right One?" ***

"It is important, then, that you "keep testing whether you are in the faith," as Paul declared . Keep checking to see whether the things you believe are in keeping with God's Word. But the question is, Are you willing to put your religion through such a test? There is nothing to fear, because if you have the right religion you can only be reassured by the examination. And if what you believe is not in keeping with the Bible, then you should welcome the truth, because it leads to light and life."

Hi Cofty, the aforementioned are some of my favorites. Unfortunately, you will need to explain from your JW experience what the WTBTS means by "unchristian ways", 'Proper Christian boundaries", and "Jehovah's clear direction". Although you are more of an expert about the actions of the WTBTS than Steve Hassan, the WTBTS would be less likely to refute/mention your letter if you mentioned names like Steve Hassan, Raymond Franz, and Barbara Anderson in it.

Cheers,

ABibleStudent

• sizemik
    sizemik

Hi Cofty . . . I think the idea is a good one . . . it's an opportunity to publicise the negatives.

I'd go with some of the advice above which encourages to make hard-hitting and simple statements on as many damning subjects as possible. You don't need to provide comprehensive proof up front . . . but do need to be able to if called upon. So make your claims brief, understandable and hard-hitting on anything you can back up with solid evidence if necessary. Perhaps include a generic statement alluding to the numerous examples and statements that have been made which prove what you're saying.

If they were to attempt to counter in any way . . . well, then you'd have a fish on the line.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Cofty this is a good letter! I agree about removing the "red pill" reference, which will confuse those of my generation. I also agree with black sheep that what you can't support with references to the WT's public written statements will hurt credibility. Here are some proof reading checks:

"Reverend Knox sent the planning committee"

"Arian Controversy" -- most people will not know what this means, and many don't care. Either describe it briefly -- for example, "Arian Controversy (denial that Christ is divine)" -- or leave this part out, if you think it distracts too much from your main topic.

"but don’t mistake cordiality for friendship", or "but don’t confuse cordiality with friendship" (a minor difference, I agree, but attention to detail bolsters your credibility)

• Iron Rod
    Iron Rod

Cofty, you have a PM.

• wobble
    wobble

Dear Cofty, what a great letter ! I do hope it is published !

My only observation is that your idea of including a link to a site is excellent, I would suggest only one, and that would be JW Facts, the reason being I feel that this site is easier to understand and navigate for a non-JW, and may save somebody, Freeminds is great, but more for Ex-JW's, and has a Christian agenda.

Also, one or two of your old friends from the K.H may be tempted by its name, they may think, "I'll find some errors in those "facts" " and have a look.

Perhaps a phrase to introduce the site, such as "this site is of immense help in understanding the methods and errors of this high-control group".

Very good luck !

Edited to say : I do think it would be harder hitting to say something like "their denial that Jesus is divine" or something similar, rather than Arian Controversy, and it may resonate with ordinary Christians that JW's are weird ! After all it is the virtually uneducated that JW's mainly target, so maybe after saying you were ejected for Apostasy(people may not know what it is according to JW's) perhaps add "merely disagreeing with some of their strange ideas". Just my two cents.

Again, good work, and the best of luck !

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Does your local paper actually print letters this long? If they only print say 100 or 200 words (as my local paper does) then there is little point sending them 400 or more.

Plus I think this is a bit over the top/unnecessary:

The destruction of every non-JW man, woman and child is their greatest wish and constant prayer

Was that your constant prayer when you were a JW? It was never mine. JWs would understandably point out that they hope non-Witnesses will join them and be saved, and for that reason they spend time, energy and money preaching to them. On top of which many Witnesses experience a lot of anguish at the thought that family members will not survive Armageddon. While in effect JW teachings endorse the prospect of the demise of non-Witnesses at Armageddon, I don't think your turn of phrase does justice to the complexity of feeling on this issue.

On the other hand I suspect you may be too generous about the Witnesses when you promise that they will park considerately and generally make good neighbours. I would not necessarily be so confident.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit