At the age of 48 I just graduated with my BA degree from college and I am on top of the world

by booker-t 33 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik

Well done to you . . . very encouraging.

I'm doing a BSc in psychology . . . at 54

• PenelopePaige
    PenelopePaige

Good for you- that's fantastic! :)

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

AWESOME!- Congrats! Just started my first day of university.

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

Very impressive indeed!!

I am also studying towards a degree, and I can tell you it's so refreshing.

Congratulations!

• steve2
    steve2

Well done booker-t; you have a fantastic outlook on life with lots of painfully gained wisdom.

I left high school at 15 under "orders" from 2 well-meaning JW parents and 4 "I'm-more-dedicated-than-you" JW grandparents. I didn't stand a chance to argue I wanted to be a journalist.

Twenty years later I commenced my BA, eventually earning a double major in Sociology/Psychology and a few years after than a PhD in Clinical Psychology. Yes, I know: I'm brilliant.

You make some interesting comments about support groups: They have their purpose and are useful up to a point. If they become an individual's reason for living, that would be sad - but who are any of us to judge? Some people devote their lives to other people, others devote their lives to pets and other people find it hard to connect with anything. In general, though, I agree with you booker-t: We need to get out there and see that the world is a lot more varied and exciting than wé were taught by well-meaning but - let's not spare the pain - ignorant guardians who were too scared to see possibilities and responsibilities all around them. Enought time in pre-school - let's grow up and start "real school".

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Good for you and Congratulations!!! Without the shackles of the Watchtower Org holding a person back, someone such as yourself can accomplish anything they put their mind to, and above all having fun doing it!

All of the best to you!!!

• talesin
    talesin

woop! woop!

edge-ah-mah-kaah-shun is the bestest thing in the world!!!

t

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

Congrats!! hopefully your experince will be an inspiration to others on the board! thanks for sharing it with us! enjoy every second!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Congratulations!!!!Your right about moving on....I have never moved on( at 84) I was a JW
    for 25 years,now I have been helping Ex's since I found out it isnt truth(since 1989) .
    So the WT has had over half my life.... I still remember a very good scripture
    "He that puts his hand to the plough & looks back is lost"
    So plough on my friends dont be like I......CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!!!!!This thread uplifted me.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

That's fantastic!! Congratulations on both the degree and the high marks. I finished my BA last year and can relate to your feelings of accomplishment. Good luck on the masters!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit