The Makeweight Scenario

by cedars 119 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Hello everyone. I just thought I'd share something if you don't mind.

My conviction in the legitimacy of the Society was slowy eroded over a number of years simply by reading the publications and becoming increasingly frustrated at how little the interpretations of prophecy and scripture made sense, added to the complete ineptitude of senior figures in the organisation.

For me, the "glue" that kept everything roughly held together into something that can be called a "faith" was the concept of "increasing light", which as you all know is the principle employed by the society to excuse any mistakes or backtracks that are made. They routinely flog Proverbs 4:18, which as we all know has nothing to do with gradual refinements in understanding when read in context. Regardless of this, the concept managed to keep me loyal to the organisation for quite some time, as I was too fearful to bring it under direct scrutiny. When I finally did, and realised that each of the 3 scriptures routinely used to expain "increasing light" were irrelevant to the principle as it had been propounded, everything fell apart, and the blinkers fell off. This was just another religion, and not God's spirit-directed organisation.

The way I explain this to people is "the makeweight scenario". So far this explanation of the "increasing light" doctrine has baffled two elders, neither of whom have come up with an effective repost. I'm wondering whether sharing it with friends/loved ones who are "teetering" might be helpful for them as it was with me, although I realise that everyone is different, and there is no "one size fits all" argument.

Anyway, here's the makeweight scenario in the form of a question as it might be posed to a believer of "increasing light":

Can you show me one scripture that supports the idea that the Holy Spirit would deliberately feed God's servants untrue information or a flawed understanding of scripture as a "makeweight" until actual truth would be revealed at a later date? Is there a biblical principle that justifies Jehovah dealing with his servants in such a way?

There it is, let me know what you think of it as a reasoning tool.

• N.drew
    N.drew

No! It is impossible for God to lie. http://biblos.com/hebrews/6-18.htm

Holy spirit is Jehovah being revealed on Earth

Jesus is Holy Spirit being manifest on Earth

A lie < The Creator,

A lie < The Holy Spirit

A lie < Jesus.

The "Bible Students" were they who imagined themslves < A lie.

Because the scriptures make it very clear in so many ways that

a person must be careful what "to eat".

The thread might progress, but probably not, with scriptures of warning

that there are dangers in what to believe (eat).

spiritually speaking to eat=to believe.

So the wolf did his duty to make the people afraid of eating anything at all.

• wobble
    wobble

A very well crafted question Cedars, and one that leads on to many more in the minds of an honest hearted person. I will try it out if I ever get the chance.

• N.drew
    N.drew

It does not matter proving yourself smarter than faith.

Faith has to do with love, peace, goodness, patience, joy, kindness,

self control mildness. You will never help anyone of faith out with reason

because by leading someone away from faith with reason, you also

lead them away from the better part of faith.

Dear wobble, I do not like the inuendo, I don't even know

which way to go with it.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

It's not about a single point or multiple points. Even if you're right on this point, WHERE ELSE WOULD THEY GO?

Your goal is to empower people to think for themselves. Your question assumes that they feel capable of making a religious decision. They are not capable. They have been stripped of the ability to even have any opinion on spiritual mattes. They follow orders from Mother.

The answer to your qeustion is: What the Society says the answer is.

• james_woods
    james_woods

An ex-witness, ex-circuit overseer once made the point that Jehovah's Witnesses are now teaching that the "faithful and discrete slave" was guiding them even at a point when the witnesses themselves were wrong about who or what the faithful and discrete slave really was.

As he said in his tape, now that is just LUDICROUS.

• N.drew
    N.drew

No it ain't. God the head of Christ. Christ the head

OF EVERY MAN. Therefore that is correct, The Faithful Slave was leading

men, unless of course they were following something other than

their head. Isn't English funny? Head=head get it? I mean??????

Do kids come here? Is Winny gonna tell me which way to run?

I have a question. Is there a block device here like on Bible Discussion Forum?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    No it ain't. God the head of Christ. Christ the head
    OF EVERY MAN. Therefore that is correct, The Faithful Slave was leading
    men, unless of course they were following something other than
    their head. Isn't English funny? Head=head get it? I mean??????
    Do kids come here? Is Winny gonna tell me which way to run?
    I have a question. Is there a block device here like on Bible Discussion Forum?

All I can say is ?????

• N.drew
    N.drew

Is that code for one less?

• cedars
    cedars

I'm with you I think James, I would love to know what N.drew is on, and whether I can have some!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit