Am I on thin ice with my friend?

by cedars 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I realize I sound like a broken record, but please read Steve Hassan's first book as soon as possible, if you haven't already done so. This will help you to understand what you're up against.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I realize I sound like a broken record

Funny, all I hear is my air conditioner.

-Sab

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks leavingwt and sebastious. I realise that in my brief intro I probably sounded completely naive to how these things work, but truth be told I'm treading quite carefully and with a degree of paranoia - although I am beginning to realise that even this may not be enough.

I am still trying to give some impression of allegiance to the organisation while expressing my confusion about certain discrepancies, and inability to go to the meetings or on the ministry until these things are resolved, but I realise that it's not worth the risk.

The funny thing is I like the guy, and I can tell from his responses that he genuinely hasn't thought of many of these things before. Some of the points I raise he simply glosses over and moves on to the next thing, which tells me I may have hit some nerves. I agree though, it isn't worth the risk. I sent him an email earlier today so it's his turn to reply, but I think I'll wrap things up in the next email before things get too shaky.

FYI - I probably shouldn't have meantioned UN-NGO and Malawi v. Mexico in my last email. Yikes!! Hope I make it out of this one.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Apart from anything else, certain members of my family are still witnesses, and I can't bear the thought of being unjustly separated from them.

Better keep your mouth shut.

You can't help anyone out of the cult until they are humble enough to admit that they have been deceived.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

You do realize that you can turn in time that you didn't spend in the ministry, right? This will prevent you from being inactive, if this is what you need at this time.

Exiting a cult is like breaking out of prison. It often requires not telling the warden the truth. It's not your fault. The game is rigged against you. You have to look out for yourself. They cannot (and will not) put your interestes first. Only you can do that.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    You can't help anyone out of the cult until they are humble enough to admit that they have been deceived.

That's a very concise way to put it.

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The funny thing is I like the guy, and I can tell from his responses that he genuinely hasn't thought of many of these things before. Some of the points I raise he simply glosses over and moves on to the next thing, which tells me I may have hit some nerves. I agree though, it isn't worth the risk. I sent him an email earlier today so it's his turn to reply, but I think I'll wrap things up in the next email before things get too shaky.

FYI - I probably shouldn't have meantioned UN-NGO and Malawi v. Mexico in my last email. Yikes!! Hope I make it out of this one.

You can simply apologize for being "negative", etc. (This is one of their buzz words.) You can let him know that you were having a bad day. You can then repeat the crap about this being the best organization on Earth and the only one preaching the Good News, etc, etc.

If he asks if you were visiting apostate sites or reading apostate books, you can assure him that you'd never do anything like that.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    FYI - I probably shouldn't have meantioned UN-NGO and Malawi v. Mexico in my last email.
    Yikes!! Hope I make it out of this one.....Cedars

I`m sitting here laughing my ass off..Your screwed..

You better Circle the Wagons..

The local JW`s are about to go on the War Path..

.................;-)...OUTLAW

• cedars
    cedars

leavingwt - thanks for those tips, I will be using some if not all of them.

I personally can't hack telling people I've done an hour in the month when I haven't, much less sitting through the meetings each week. Also I have personal circumstances which are quite unique, and make it a little easier for me to disappear (although my MTS background is becoming a thorn in my side).

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Is this a dangerous strategy? Could this backfire on me?

The answers are in the questions. Considering where the focus is at present . . . I would bunker down and brace yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit