Toddler accidentally shoots woman dead in Idaho Walmart

by nicolaou 101 Replies latest social current

• piztjw
    piztjw

How about the places in the US where there is strict gun-control

You mean like the schools, movie theatres, military bases? It's strange that those are the places most likely to be the location of INTENTIONAL criminal shootings.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think it would fair to say that people who carry personal guns with them haven't shown any factual proof that doing so protects them from violence. In opposing fact making it capable to carry guns may in fact induce violence by using these guns inappropriately.

To use an analogy, look at the Sandy Hook school incident, where a person bought and practiced using her own personal guns as means to protect herself from harm, instead those guns ending up being used onto herself and the killing of others.

The point being more guns in possession of the population creates situations of guns being used in acts of violence.  

The problem that is present in the US is that being that it is known that a great amount of guns are owned by the population at hand, it compels people to own them themselves as a means of self protection. 

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

The point being more guns in possession of the population creates situations of guns being used in acts of violence.

Among criminals. Law abiding citizens are not engaged in criminal acts, nor are they the ones perpetrating violence. Where are you getting your theories from? 

The problem that is present in the US is that being that it is known that a great amount of guns are owned by the population at hand, it compels people to own them themselves as a means of self protection. 

I disagree with this statement. I've never met anyone who has gone out and purchased a gun for no other reason than other people have guns. I am not aware of any arms race among the Average Joes of  America.

Again, I ask, what are you basing your theories on? So far, you've not posted one source of reference to back up your claims. 

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Does it not seem a case of eventual probability that if there are more guns held by a given population, that the eventual outcome from that will occur of more guns be used inappropriately by that population ? 

Accidental or otherwise ?
  • AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Does it not seem a case of eventual probability that if there are more guns held by a given population, that the eventual outcome from that will occur of more guns be used inappropriately by that population ? 

Yes, anything is possible with enough fantasizing. Is it possible that the earth will turn purple if enough people watch Barney on Saturday mornings? I suppose, but is it probable? Not likely.

However, you are stating things as facts to carry your opinions without any substantiation whatsoever. 

If you are just going to share your personal opinions, then at least be honest enough to preface your comments by stating as much rather than implying you are sharing factual, documented data.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Shirley just to uphold my assertion , why is that countires that have very strict gun controls and retricitive sales

open to the public have the least violence by use of guns in that population ? 

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    3) her child obviously got into her purse while she wasn't looking. Regrettable for sure, but it cannot be immediately labelled "irresponsible".

Why not?  'Scuse me, but if a parent's first responsibility is to keep their child safe from harm, this woman was woefully irresponsible.  Her child is scarred for life, likely irredeemably.  He killed his mother and will have to live knowing that he is responsible for that fact for the rest of his life.  It beggars the imagination.

And I'd like to know why, every time one of these dumb-ass tragedies happen, we aren't supposed to point out the obvious stupidity of - well, in this case, a young mother shopping at Walmart with 4 small children - needing a f--king GUN in her handbag?  

My despair is that a child of two years is now saddled with the weight of guilt and remorse that is beyond bearing.  Because - freedom!  Yeah, baby - gunz!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I apologize, BB.

I didn't realize you knew this woman personally and saw this whole incident unfold firsthand, putting you in a position to pass judgment so easily.

I now feel rather silly for withholding judgment pending the outcome of the police investigation.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

I think it would fair to say that people who carry personal guns with them haven't shown any factual proof that doing so protects them from violence.

If I was as gun owner... why do I have to prove that owning a gun makes me safer? 

If it makes me feel safer, it is my constitutional right.   End of discussion.  Others here want to limit constitutional rights.   The burden is on them to prove their case.

Concealed Carry reduces crime

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/24/chicago-crime-rate-drops-as-concealed-carry-gun-pe/?page=all

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/18661-study-suggests-more-concealed-carry-permits-less-crime

While it is difficult to prove that concealed carry reduces the crime rate,   there is NO evidence that allowing it increases the crime rate. People who fear guns assume if you give the population more guns you will automatically get more crime.  The evidence suggests the opposite.

• Simon
    Simon

Isn't it funny how, after any shooting death, gun owners paint themselves as the 'real victims'.

The evidence suggests the opposite.

The evidence proves that the US has an epidemic of gun deaths that other non-war-zone countries don't. It doesn't mean guns alone are the issue - Canada has lots of guns and we generally seem to cope OK. So if it's not guns themselves then it's something todo with the culture or society which means it can't handle guns being available.

That doesn't shift the issue at all though - it just reinforces that because there is a problem there need to be more and better controls.

I think mandatory insurance and consequences if your gun is used in a crime. Make gun owners responsible or accountable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit