Toddler accidentally shoots woman dead in Idaho Walmart

by nicolaou 101 Replies latest social current

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

This site is all about doing what is in your own self interest.   It is about living your own life how you see fit.   It is about the courage to be independent from any one or any organization that seeks control us.

Then when it comes to protecting your property, family or your very own life, you want to hand over all that control to somebody else,  be that a security organization or a government.

I say you are not a free man if you are unwilling to do what it takes to defend what is yours.    This is why rather than just being a talking point I truly believe the right to bare arms is a universal right.  It is not a platitude.  It is the fundamental right that all the others rest upon.  If you are not willing to defend your right to live you will give up all your other rights.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

It is sad though that even after classrooms full of kids are massacred there is still no political will to enact even basic changes to have background checks.

Background checks are required.  Any licensed dealer is required to perform background checks.  I'm a manager at Walmart and have sold somewhere around 300 guns in my career.  They all had to pass a background check.

What isn't required by most states is background checks for private sales.  In other words, you can go to a gun show say in the state of Florida with your gun.  You can then sell it to anyone there and not be required to perform a background check.  That is the loophole some feel needs to be fixed.  Federal law defines a private seller as anyone who doesn't rely on gun sales as their principal means of financial support.

I'm all for gun control laws. I like Chris Rock thoughts on the topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX-nFmL0II

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon can you point to ANY evidence suggesting gun control limits crime?    Show me some evidence of it working and you might win me over.

How about every other non-warzone country in the world?

How about the places in the US where there is strict gun-control - flights and courts. Oh wait, looks like your rights aren't as universal and absolute as you thought. No outcry? No demand to take your guns on a plane?

Here's a telling question we all know the real answer to - would you feel more or less secure if you could take your gun on a plane? (and everyone else can take theirs). Why would the logic of guns = safety and protection suddenly change?

I say you are not a free man if you are unwilling to do what it takes to defend what is yours. This is why rather than just being a talking point I truly believe the right to bare arms is a universal right.  It is not a platitude.  It is the fundamental right that all the others rest upon.  If you are not willing to defend your right to live you will give up all your other rights.

All these individuals enjoying their rights are why few enjoy the right to true freedom, peace and safety. Community and civilization trumps individual rights when those rights so often negatively impact the life and liberty of others.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

An Airplane is private property.   The owner of that property can deny you access to said property for what ever reason they want (including you carrying a gun).

However if you don't let me carry my gun (I don't personally own one but i believe in our rights regardless) YOU have a responsibility for my safety.   Airlines do a reasonable job with security.    If I walk into a courthouse, I understand I have to check my firearm at the door but again I can trust that I will be secure there.   However haven't you noticed that virtually all these mass shootings have happened in "gun free zones"?   I think the owner of a property or business takes on a HUGE responsibility when they put up a guns free zone sign.

While I also have right to free speech I realize that that right might be abridged while I am patronizing a business or I am on private property.   I can't just walk in to a store and start spouting off the craziest nonsense.   If I don't like I don't have to go to that store.  However when I am in public I am free to say what ever I want.

You might think I am crazy but if we where allowed to carry firearms on airplanes I don't think we would ever see another hijacking.   Yes occasionally individuals might be gunned down but you wouldn't see mass shootings or hijackings.

Guns are not the problem.   The problem is our rowdy violent American culture.   Even if you took all of our guns away people would still find ways to be violent.  As a matter of fact if you goal is to kill lots of people quickly, guns aren't particularly effective.   Automobiles or even a gas tank and matches are much better ways of killing lots of people.   As a matter of fact our worst cases of mass murder in this country where committed with incendiary devices and bombs.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

"All these individuals enjoying their rights are why few enjoy the right to true freedom, peace and safety. Community and civilization trumps individual rights when those rights so often negatively impact the life and liberty of others."

I fail to see how a peaceful law abiding firearm owner negatively effects the life of the greater community.

I also fail to see how passing laws would keep guns out of the hands of criminals.    As it is even with our current regulations for buying firearms I would bet that the VAST majority of crimes where committed with illegally acquired guns.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

The only two people whom I know personally that have been shot were also themselves armed. Both were licensed to carry a 9 mm automatic, both were very proficient in using the things, yet both still ended up getting shot (in two separate incidents).

This would tend to indicate to me that carrying a firearm may not, after all, offer the level of protection that many people seem to think it does. 

Maybe the Australian country singer, John Williamson, got it right in his song We must have a Flag of our Own:

a stanza of which reads "The way to get shot is to carry a gun".

Bill

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I fail to see  

I think that says it all.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I want to feel bad about this woman getting shot, but I am not feeling it.

A loaded gun, safety off, in Walmart, and you let the toddler into your purse?

The definition of bad gun ownership.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"Better her than the toddler."

"Sometimes stupid sorts itself out."

"There are idiots everywhere. One fewer idiot now."

"It`s a rather crude way of weeding out stupid people."

"I want to feel bad about this woman getting shot, but I am not feeling it."

I find some of the comments here astonishing, not only for their blatant hypocrisy, but also in their callousness. Regardless of your position on firearms, the simple fact of the matter is a young mother tragically lost her life.

For all of the anti-gun people here who posture about the nobility of their position (presumably because you abhor violence), it speaks volumes about your mentality when you can joke about the death of a young mother of four children. Incidentally, this is not the first topic on this very subject where the same heartless comments have also come from the same type of people.

You should be ashamed of yourselves. 

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

You should be ashamed of yourselves......ADCMS

For saying what I think?!..No..

The problem isn`t owning/carrying a gun,or pointing out stupidity with humour..

The problem is being irresponsible with a gun..

The little kid is going to grow up knowing they killed their mom..

It`s a tragedy that could have been avoided..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit