Why I Shouldn't Believe in the Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth

by XJW4EVR 127 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

PSAC, for what you just said, I very much respect you.

I apologize if in making my points, I insulted you. Your honesty is refreshing, even if we disagree.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

ATJ, thank you for your response. You still seem to be judging my motives. That's OK. I started this thread trying to get information that could help better understand those that do not believe Christianity. WHat I have gotten in return is name-calling, insults and condescension. Now, I will admit that I did respond to some of the more silly postings, but I attempted to do so in a respectful manner, unlike some of the posters that have responded to me. Hey, that's OK. I understand their insecurity.

Anyway, I have seen enough of the non-responses to see that there really is not reason to not believe in the resurrection, at least no "reason" that has been given here.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hi XJW4EVR.

I have no idea what your motives are, and I am pretty sure I didn't call your motives into question. It was your question and the tack of your argument that I discussed.

In any case, I really do believe your faith is a personal thing, and while it's always stimulating to discuss, even as we disagree, I respect your right to believe that Jesus was resurrected.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PSAC, for what you just said, I very much respect you.

The respect is mutual my friend :)

I apologize if in making my points, I insulted you. Your honesty is refreshing, even if we disagree.

No need to apolgise, I was not insulted, you said what you meant and meant what you said and if we CAN'T do that we will never mean what we say or say what we mean.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

XJW4EVR WHat I have gotten in return is name-calling, insults and condescension.

Ah! We have seen this tactic used many times.

Start a discussion about faith. Then however polite and reasonable the responses, accuse the non-believers of being unpleasant. Absolute proof that only those that believe in the resurrection are decent people. The Jehovah's Witnesses use this ploy all the time. Such a Christian approach!

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

XJW4EVR, i'm ok with you believing that jesus lived and died and was resurrected, i don't have any problem with that. but show me the big amount of name-calling, insults and condescension you are talking about. what insecurity are you talking about?

tell you what, the way you put words it's hard to not start a little name calling.

on topic:

alright, there were some people who were convinced something special happened and told it to everyone. guess what happened last century? there were some people called the bible students, jehovah's witnesses later, who thought there was something special going on in 1799, 1875, 1914, 1925, 1975 etc. they were so convinced about it, they spent their lives preaching it to everyone they got hold of. and they went from 0 to 7.500.000 in a mere 120 years or so.

the fact that some people were convinced about something does not provide one bit of proof.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

J,

You make an excellent comparison, IF you were compating Islam and the JW's for example.

I don't think we can use that example simply because the claim of a resurrected Jesus and the subsequent claim of him being the messiah, was unique in Judaisim at the time.

The people that were attract to the JW doctrine in the first generation of thier existence were NOT attarcted to it because of an event of the magnitude of the resurrection NOR did the 1st generation JW"s go preaching the unheard of ( case inpoint the resurerection).

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

actually i think the comparison fits quite right:

the jesus wasn't resurrected, the first christians were all wrong but instead of dismissing their belief - due to cognitive dissonance - they moved it into another realm.

jesus also didn't appear 1874, the first bible students were all wrong but instead of dismissing their belief - due to cognitive dissonance - they moved his parousia into another realm.

pretty much harold camping stuff.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    actually i think the comparison fits quite right:

I disagree, don't make me send ninja monkeys to hide your underwear ! ;)

the jesus wasn't resurrected, the first christians were all wrong but instead of dismissing their belief - due to cognitive dissonance - they moved it into another realm.

The issue is that they did NOT expect him to be resurrected, it was as big a surprise as there could have been for them.

jesus also didn't appear 1874, the first bible students were all wrong but instead of dismissing their belief - due to cognitive dissonance - they moved his parousia into another realm.

The comparison would be correct IF Jesus HAD appeared and NO ONE expected Him to.

pretty much harold camping stuff.

I will also tell the ninja monkeys to give you a brazilian wax, just for the sheer pain of it !!

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

lol. i didn't know you and shamus were so close.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit