A Sincere Questions for Current/Former WTBTS Elders/Pioneers...

by AGuest 41 Replies latest jw friends

• poor places
    poor places

During my pioneer years (late teens into early twenties), I probably read the Bible twice. I'm not sure that I would call myself a serious student at that time; I was just someone who found the Bible interesting. Except for the boring parts. And good God, are some parts of the Bible boring! Not to mention totally irrelevant to life today (I'm thinking of most of Leviticus as a prime example). Isn't it strange that God inspired a book with so many parts that are irrelevant and uninteresting to people today? Shouldn't he have had the foresight to include what is necessary and leave out long and tedious lists of names? Sorry, I'm digressing a little.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Isn't it strange that God inspired a book with so many parts that are irrelevant and uninteresting to people today?

It would indeed be strange, dear PoorPlaces (peace to you!), if He indeed inspired it. He did not, but that's another thread...

Shouldn't he have had the foresight to include what is necessary and leave out long and tedious lists of names?

If He had inspired it, He would have, dear one. The only purpose that "stuff" served, though, was in case there was some question as to the lineage of Messiah. No purpose since then, since Messiah, though... for the tedious lists... or the Bible. But again, another thread.

I just wanted to see if folks who "took the lead" had actually read it, or even knew what it said... you know, beyond the WT teachings and/or basic "Bible Stories" stories (which I've learned some don't even know most of the latter. Which just blows my mind. I remember asking the "elders" what I thought were basic Bible questions during my JCs - "Remember when Jacob gave his sons their blessings, and... and...?" and no, they didn't have a clue).

I get that "ordinary" publishers might not... but how can someone position themselves as "masters" over others' faith... and not have a CLUE what's actually IN the Bible? I ran into the same thing with "Gilead" graduates, COs, and former "special pioneers". I included regular pioneers because the ones I knew always acted as if they "knew"... and were "in charge" of their "spirituality" of the Bible study folks. But they could never engage in any Bible discussion... beyond the usual WTBTS propaganda.

I understand why born-ins wouldn't; hey, you didn't really have a choice - you were there "because." But again, those "reaching out", I don't get. What exactly were they "reaching out" FOR?

Ah, well... now I digress - LOL!

Anyway, thank you for responding and, again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I got away with as little Bible reading as possible as a pioneer. I was (and still am) a voracious reader, but I can't ever say I really read anything when I was in. I would just kind of look at it, and my eyes would glaze over, and nothing really ever penetrated.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I started pioneering, (auxillary until I was approved as a regular), right after baptism, and I only studied for six months before baptism. So between work, pioneering, preparing for all of the meetings, keeping up on reading all of the magazines, and normal life stuff like shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, paying bills, taking care of car problems, dealing with a lunatic jw husband, etc., there was no time to actually read the Bible thoroughly or research what the Watchtower said. I was the perfect mark.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I think that if they KNEW the truth regarding this... they would be little more apt to at consider QUESTIONING not only what they're learning... but who they're learning if FROM.

I have been steered here by AGuest, so she apparently wants my input. Speaking for myself in my former role as an elder, elders followed WT instructions ahead of the Bible, typically not because they thought the Bible was wrong, but because they thought WTS was guided by Holy Spirit. Be careful of anyone that says they are guided by Holy Spirit.

To AGuest in advance, you are welcome for my pointing these things out.

Yes, make sure of all things for yourself, you people still going to the Kingdom Hall and listening to JW elders. Since AGuest hopes you will learn from this thread, I will help you to know who AGuest is. Make sure you people know what AGuest has been trying to tell us:

She tells us that "our Lord, the Son of God, [is named] JAH-ESHUA MISCHA-JAH" and that "our Lord, the Son of God, JAH-ESHUA MISCHA-JAH" speaks to her personally, and has even made sure she saw some airfare deal in a newspaper years ago so that the Son of God, JAH-ESHUA MISCHA-JAH could send her on a mission to Bethel to speak with the anointed.

JAH-ESHUA MISCHA-JAH has informed AGuest that the Bible is not "the Word of God."

(I had to look on her old threads for the name, JAH-ESHUA MISCHA-JAH, as I have never seen it from any other source anywhere. Apparently, it's even important to spell it in capital letters for some strange reason.)

Indeed, be careful listening to/learning from anyone who claims to be guided by Holy Spirit.

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

I feel I was an honest eager student of the bible UNTIL I was appointed as a servant. Then I was too busy, I could barely keep up with studying the WT stuff, preparing talks, etc.. Then I became an elder - 5 years I never even finished studying the Flock book well.

It is understood that the Bible can only be understood thru the "Governing Body". If you have to choose between the WT and the Bible you NEED the WT. They will even state that congregations that are seperated from the "light" of the WTBS will revert to Christendoms teachings.

I still feel embarrassed of what I taught others - tho I do feel good about the emotional support I gave to many. I was known for being kind and not dogmatic, but I never was very good at obeying the "Rules".

I've studied the bible more in the last 2 years since I stepped down than I ever did before.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Thank you all, dear ILB, JB, and AEF... for your kind... and candid... responses! Peace to you, all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Farkel
    Farkel

to my litta sistah from a big bruddah with Aloha, (Hawaiian style!)

May you have peace.

:To what extent did you, as a JW... read/know the contents of the Bible? Did you look things up on your own to see if they were "so"... or did you just take the WTBTS's "word" for it that it said... and meant... what they said it did?

For me, I mostly looked things up in the WT publications, but then I started looking elsewhere like Wescott and Hort and other places. But that sort of research did not cause me to leave the WTS. The evil of the workers for the WTS caused me to leave the WTS.

Shel, you know all of this, but maybe some of the folks don't know this. That is why I am sharing it.

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

onthewayout,

You said:

---------------

: To AGuest in advance, you are welcome for my pointing these things out.

Yes, make sure of all things for yourself, you people still going to the Kingdom Hall and listening to JW elders. Since AGuest hopes you will learn from this thread, I will help you to know who AGuest is. Make sure you people know what AGuest has been trying to tell us:

She tells us that "our Lord, the Son of God, [is named] JAH-ESHUA MISCHA-JAH" and that "our Lord, the Son of God, JAH-ESHUA MISCHA-JAH" speaks to her personally, and has even made sure she saw some airfare deal in a newspaper years ago so that the Son of God, JAH-ESHUA MISCHA-JAH could send her on a mission to Bethel to speak with the anointed.

JAH-ESHUA MISCHA-JAH has informed AGuest that the Bible is not "the Word of God."

(I had to look on her old threads for the name, JAH-ESHUA MISCHA-JAH, as I have never seen it from any other source anywhere. Apparently, it's even important to spell it in capital letters for some strange reason.)

Indeed, be careful listening to/learning from anyone who claims to be guided by Holy Spirit.

-----------

Such judgments are easily understandable by those who know the writings, but whom have never met the soul who wrote them.

You know the writings of that soul that you judge. I know the writings of that soul and I know that soul as a sister and through many, many personal meetings over a dozen years. I withhold judgment, because I know a lot more than you about her. I've hugged her. Have you hugged her? I spilled my guts to her. Have you spilled your guts to her?

Do you think you are qualified to judge her as you have based upon the little you know? How about the idea that you could meet her, talk to her, hear her stuff, and yes, maybe even get a hug from her, even if you disagree with what she has to say? I have, and my life is richer for it.

Farkel

• talesin
    talesin

Well, I have seen it on my facebook page, from the guy who was trying to 'save' me. His best friend and partner in life (as listed on his profile), is JAH-ESHUA MISCHA-JAH ---- strange, but TRUE.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit