The Ancient Jewish CROSS and the ancient Hebrew letter Taw

by brit-93108 72 Replies latest watchtower bible

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The point of this thread was based on my book, "The Ancient Jewish CROSS". The origin of the Christian cross goes back to ancient Judaism and the last letter of the ancient Hebrew letter, the taw.

Let's just cut to the chase here: 1) - The only reason the cross is a "Christian" symbol is that Jesus was reportedly executed on a cross by the Romans. 2) - The notion that the Romans styled their execution device from a letter in the ancient Hebrew alphabet is fanciful at best. More realistically, it is bullshit.

• DrG
    DrG

To mrsjones5: I do know what that symbol is, I didn't see it originally when I read her post. I read the comment and responded to it. I don't see the issue that this is creating.

To James_Woods: You stated the following:Let's just cut to the chase here:

1) - The only reason the cross is a "Christian" symbol is that Jesus was reportedly executed on a cross by the Romans. 2) - The notion that the Romans styled their execution device from a letter in the ancient Hebrew alphabet is fanciful at best. More realistically, it is bullshit.

First, nobody said that the Romans styled their execution from the letter in the ancient Hebrew alphabet. You really need to pay attention better. Second, the truth is that the last letter of the ancient Hebrew pictograph script was the cross, period. Your ignorant attempt to call it bullshit shows your lack of understanding to anything in this discussion. The sources in my book from both Jewish and non-Jewish beg to differ with you. Its a historical fact that the cross has Jewish origins. Dr.G
  • james_woods
    james_woods
    Its a historical fact that the cross has Jewish origins.

No, it is not. That idea is BULLSHIT. As others have posted, crosses and the cruxiform shape have existed far further back in history than the Jewish alphabet.

As a matter of fact, I am completely at a loss as to why you have apparantly become so fixated on this notion.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    The point of this thread was based on my book, "The Ancient Jewish CROSS".

Yes, that's how the thread started, but it also very much about the claims made by various posters in the thread, such as brit-93108. That's how discussions go message boards; the topics often drift.

First, nobody said that the Romans styled their execution from the letter in the ancient Hebrew alphabet. You really need to pay attention better.

Actually, brit-93108 did. That's why we're discussing it here.

brit-93108: I see a connection in retrospect because there is some historical controversy as to whether it was in fact the Sanhedrin that influenced Roman law and implementations of execution.

james-woods: You are actually saying that the Sanhedrin convinced the Romans to use a cross for executions?? I doubt that there is a shred of evidence for such a notion. But, even if they did, what did the letter Taw have to do with it?

brit-93108: You raised an interesting point, james_woods, leading me to further posit that perhaps the Sanhedrin was so economically powerful it was one of the biggest taxpayers in the kingdom. Keep manipulating the Jewish people into tithing, and we will fund your empire. I can imagine the choice of a cross, besides being a common method of execution, was a symbolic show of political solidarity between the Sanhedrin Roman benefactors and the Romans, morphing the t and T...If the cross was part of prophecy as the book suggests in the Amazon preview (where you may be able to read it all, for all I know, I didn't get that far yet), it is not an idol but a prophecy build by YHWH into the ancient and original Hebrew alphabet (which is a short alphabet). It proves that Jesus was executed, not by the Romans, but by Satan himself who bastardised the Sanhedrin and used them as puppets on a string in an attempt to destroy his perceived obstacle to God himself. The cross in that sense was intended as an ugly middle finger at God but was transformed by Christ into Satan's eternal tombstone.

Leolaia: The shape of an alphabet letter, or the use of this very basic geometric shape (the intersection of two lines) as a symbol, had nothing to do with ancient Roman execution practice.

brit-93108: There is no evidence at all, Leolaia, that may have influenced the Roman method of execution? How far before Jesus's execution was the Sanhedrin in bed with the Roman government, and what subtle influence did these rabbis have on every facet of Roman culture? I'm fascinated to hear the ancient alphabet was found in the Dead Sea scrolls. Makes me wonder if there are more scrolls are to be opened that will reveal the scope and grandeur of outright selling out of the Jewish faith to the Roman Empire by its corrupt religious leaders to benefit their worldly treasures, an act of betrayal on an order of magnitude greater than Judas, betrayal of God, the Jews, everything good and righteous?

You can certainly point out that this is not your claim, though brit-93108 didn't claim it was. And you can certainly share some of what your book is about and the evidence you cite; I actually really have little idea of what your positions are on the matter. But that's neither here nor there when it comes to criticizing what brit-93108 wrote. He/she made the claim, and james-woods and I are disputing it.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Leolaia - has it occurred to you that there may likely be a very close connection between brit-93108 and DrG?

The time factor for two new posters on this obscure subject seems a little to coincedental to just be coincedental to me. (as Yogi Berra might have said)

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

The most anyone could say is that any connection is mystical, or spiritual.

There is no historical connection between the method of execution and the letter.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Well, sure, its technically possible but I wouldn't presume so.

And its not uncommon for an author to weigh in. It happened in one of my threads. And I have seen Simcha Jacobovici in defense mode posting comments on blogs that are critical of his ideas and presentations.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Or else somebody wants to be the anti-typical Alexander Hislop...

• DrG
    DrG

To woods: Its amazing how you can talk so much nonsense without any historical proof of what you say. At least in my book I cite all the references in history. You just talk like you know something you don't. Talking to you is like talking to a child who just keeps saying "bullshit!" because they are ignorant. People can comment all they want but they never take the time to check things out.

Also let me say that I don't know anything about this brit person that you seem to want to connect me too. Typical attitude when your not getting your point accross. This is why I am now leaving this discussion for good. I originally just found it based on my book coming out and I thought it would be cool to see what people were commenting about but apparently people like to talk about it without even reading it. Good luck with the rest of this discussion. Keep talking like you read my book and acting like you know all of history regarding ancient Judaism. I didn't spend 20 years studying the scriptures and their original language for nothing. LOL take care.

Dr.G

• botchtowersociety

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit