Why did the Ethiopian require "explanation" of scripture in Acts 8?

by sabastious 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AGuest
    AGuest

Such a contradictory thing you are, BOTR (again, peace to you!). Apparently, your sincerity was based on what I had to say... not what you truly felt. Ah, well... then so be it. To our own masters we will each stand or fall.

Please note that I hold absolutely NO illwill toward you... none at all (no one really should in matters such as this) and will continue to wish you peace, as well as "engage" you if you are amendable... or the matter/topic calls for it. I will not "mark" or "shun" you; that is not my Lord's way. Please know that I hold no particular worldly loyalties, per se (meaning, based on others', what, knowledge, expertise, education, etc.?). I agree with some folks (some of whom are highly educated, some not so much)... and disagree with others (some of whom are highly educated and, again, some not so much). Some on all/most/many things... some on little/very little. Doesn't matter. The differences between my beliefs and that of others is not grounds for me to dismiss anyone. Not even blasphemers... unless and until they become abusive, aggressive, or start outright lying. In which case, well, what really is the POINT in continuing discussions? And when they come down off it... I right there with them, again.

But... it seems like you're drawing a line in the "sand". I hope not, but I can respect that if that is the case. If it is, just let me know when I get close... or perhaps cross it and... if I can... I will try to step back. Just make sure you're not trying to pin my back to a wall, though, and give me no where to go... but toward you. Which was the case, here.

My wish for peace for you remains, and I remain...

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Imagine if everyone of us wrote whatever we felt like. For example, I could discuss Roy Rogers and Dale Evans relationship to Acts b/c the Holy Spirit so directs me. Trigger could be one of the chariot horses. Again, I claim the Holy Spirit.

This is my final recgonition of A Guest. She has never tried to communicate with me. I am dignifying someone who should not be dignified by answering her claims. I suspect that I will be critiqued with utter nonsense in the future. The tableau is already set.

Scholarship, education, and rational minds are important to me. As a Christian, I believe more is needed. But God gave us minds to use and to ask hard questions. I don't have a grand theological scheme. Rather, I try to use my head and heart to imitate Christ as best I can. I can't refute utter nonsense. Since I had no grand scheme for her to critique and she has zero souces outside of a not so vivid mind, her objections are to me personally.

I would say a majority of posters are well informed here of academic Bible studies. The only things I've posted here are accepted main stream beliefs. My personal, denominational beliefs I tend to keep private. They are my personal relationship with God and most are inappropriate for discussion here. Others must also have their denominational beliefs or atheism and it works fine for them. My focus is on how far out the Witnesses are from any other religion declaring itself Christian.

I must refrain from engagiing nut jobs. Anytime someone wants to discuss merits or their rational takes on scripture I am receptive. I do not post here to seek approval from others or the votes of others. Rather, I post for myself. If A Guest doesn't approve, touch luck. All she has to do is to ignore my posts. So many interesting people and perspectives exist on this site, it has been an error to engage her at all.

In another guise, she may have been interesting. Personally, I fail to see how anyone can cut through her mangled thought processes. It is sad.

See everyone on another thread and I will seek prof'l help if I ever respond to A Guest again. Good thinkgs beckon. I can walk away - something I could not do as a Witness.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    This is my final recgonition of A Guest.

Sigh. Okay, BOTR. I can respect that. Peace to you.

She has never tried to communicate with me.

Sorry, folks (may you ALL have peace!)... but it kind of bothers me when people "bear false witness" as to me (didn't wanna say, "Lie", 'cause Lord knows what THAT word could invoke). It's kinda been happening, lately... apparently, for similar reasons. Fortunately (or perhaps, unfortunately)... a lot of what's posted on this site is stored... perpetually. Now, I get that no one's really gonna [want to] read all this; however, I feel compelled to post it... just "for the record." My sincere apologies for the... huge deviation (I did try to stay on topic, initially):

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/203920/1/Ancient-Christian-Prayer

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/205633/1/Does-God-Keep-Time-Or-Is-Time-A-Human-Construct

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/forum/announcements/210462/1/Christian-Beliefs-Concerning-Post-Death-Existence

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/210332/1/Slave-Auction-1859

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/203881/1/Is-Liberal-Christianty-Smug-And-Liberal

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/211441/1/To-the-Houshold-of-God-Israel-and-those-who-go-with

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/211358/1/One-law-for-Adam-another-for-Satan

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/213269/1/What-would-be-your-reaction-if-the-original-ten-commandments-were-found-written-in-hieroglyphic

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/205860/3/Acts-10-19-20-Destroying-the-Holy-Spirit-personification-argument

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/196082/3/All-about-Shelby

Okay, I'm done, here. Again, sorry and, again, peace to you all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest

Is it possible (may you all have peace!)... that the scroll carried by the Ethiopian was not as large as we might think? I mean, they certainly were formidable, especially the ones kept at the temple and in the synagogues... and those purchased by the more affluent. But is it possible that the eunuch accessed a scroll of Isaiah... or a part/parts of it... in another way? I am led to believe so... by means of a vision that I received from my Lord on the matter earlier today.

Now, of course, I realize that some already believe me to be “delusional”, perhaps suffering from schizophrenia or some other disorder… and they are entitled to their perceptions. But I am not concerned with that, truly. What I AM concerned with is (1) obedience to my Lord; (2) what IS the truth; and (3) that I maintain MY faith in what I see and hear… by what means… and from whom. And it is with these in mind ONLY that I share the following:

I was standing near a dirt road, about 15 feet off the shoulder. I heard "noise" to my right and as I looked to see what was up, I saw a procession coming. It appeared to be of someone of some "importance" and included 7 chariots. Six of them were slightly smaller and plainer and the men in them looked... not like soldiers, per se, but certainly "protectors" of some kind. Some kind of "guard". The 7th chariot was different in that it was a bit larger... and carried TWO men: one (who appeared to be a "slave" - he was dressed VERY plainly)... who was DRIVING the chariot... and the other (who appeared to be very "elegant"... in his dress (which wasn't over the top but certainly not plain)... as well as his mannerisms... as well as "educated" - his words weren't "common", per se). The latter was SITTING DOWN in the chariot while it was being driven by the other.

The procession was going along at a moderate pace (not speeding, but not slow, either). As they passed me, however, I saw the man who was sitting down... TAKE A SMALL-
    ISH scroll (about 10 inches wide!)... FROM A LONG FLAT "BOX"... TIED TO HIS BICEP (by leather thongs that wrapped around his arm and down to his hand). He also had another "box"... about 4w x 2h x 1d... tied to his forehead!

He tried to read what was in the scroll... but couldn't because of the pace of the chariot (it was "bouncing" him about) and so he commanded the driver to slow down... which the driver did, until the horse drawing the chariot was at a walk. But... they kept moving; they did not STOP.

As he was reading, I could see a look of concentration... and consternation... on his face. But, get this: apparently, it was a
    NEW scroll for him... one he had picked up WHEN HE WAS IN JERUSALEM! Somehow I understood that, while the case on his head carried a small copy of "Moses"... the case on his ARM was used to carry small scrolls of, say, Moses, the Prophets, the Psalms... basically, whatever PART(S) of the "writings" a person was interested in and wanted to read and/or study at a given time! Whatever he had carried in it BEFORE had been REPLACED by this NEW piece of scroll.

I THEN understood that this was, apparently, because "Isaiah" was among the current most POPULAR scriptures being sold in the temple market at this time... because some were saying "Messiah" had arrived... and some were saying he HADN'T. And so, some where CAPITALIZING on the matter by selling "writings" (scripture) relating to the matter! This man, the eunuch, had bought a copy of Isaiah to read LATER. BUT... the matter was "bothering" him so he couldn't WAIT... and so took it out and began studying it, trying to understand what was going on in
    Jerusalem... and whether the scripture SHOWED who it was that folks were yammering on about.

The next thing, another man passes me, running at a trot (like a jogger)... after the chariots that had just passed by. The 6 men looked back to try and keep an eye on him but weren't too worried because (1) apparently, running was a common mode of travel, then, and (2) he looked like he was just going to run past the entourage. But when he caught up with the larger chariot (which was out front), he began speaking to the man sitting in and reading. This caused the to become "on guard" and speed up! But the man in the chariot waved his hand... and they all fell back.

Then... I saw was the "running" man get IN the chariot while it was still moving (it never stopped!)... and sit down... and the two began talking. The 6 looked at each other like "What's going on?!"... but didn't say a word.

After that, I walked from where I was standing into the road, where I stood and watched the procession as it moved off into the distance... leaving a cloud of dust in its wake.

So… what? So, all should feel free to take it or leave it. I have only posted it because it is the truth... and I have been directed to do so.

But before anyone allows themselves to go all ape-snakey over the above, the following might help to show that I’m not making this all up:

“Then it will happen on that day that JaHVeH will again recover the second time with His hand the remnant of His people, who will remain, from Assyria, Egypt, Pathros, Cush*, Elam, Shinar, Hamath, and from the islands of the sea.” Isaiah 11:11

Who was Isaiah speaking of here? His prophesy was “concerning JUDAH … and JERUSALEM ” (Isaiah 1:1)… and thus, the JEWS, who were about to be exiled to Babylong (and not the 10-tribe kingdom of Israel which had already been exiled to Assyria ).

As for the driver and others that I saw in the vision:

“As they continued down the road, they came to a stream of water. The eunuch said, "Here's water. Why can't I be baptized?" He ordered the chariot to stop.” Acts 8:36

A man driving himself does not need to ORDER his chariot to stop. Only a man GIVING such an order… to someone ELSE … does so. The Ethiopian I saw was not traveling alone.

As I said, my Lord does not leave himself without witness. Israel , including JEWS… was also scattered… to Ethiopia … and at least one JEWISH man came from there to Jerusalem to worship at the temple.

For those who are TRULY tired of being lied to, who REALLY want to know the truth about these matters… and do not give in simply because of “pressure” from the masses, popular opinion, “accepted doctrine”, mainstream ideology… or even those who claim to know (particularly by means of some “earthly” source)… I hope this helps.

To you ALL , I bid you peace… and ears to HEAR … when the Spirit and the Bride say to YOU:

“Come! Take ‘life’s water’… FREE !”

Okay... NOW, I'm done.

A slave of Christ, for whom there is only one Source of truth as to these matters,

SA

*The Kingdom of Kush or Cush was an ancient Nubian state centered on the confluences of the Blue Nile, White Nile, and River Atbara in what is now the Republic of Sudan. … During Classical Antiquity, the Nubian capital was at Nubian. In early Greek geograph, the Meroitic kingdom was known as Ethiopia.. The Nubian kingdom at Meroe persisted until the 4th century AD, when it fell to the expanding kingdom of Axum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Kush

• Perry
  • SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Perry said it.

• AGuest
    AGuest

I know, I know, dear SBC (peace to you... and you, too, dear Perry!).. but I "had" to. Really. I did. But I'm done now. Really.

Peace.

A slave of Christ,

SA, who marvels that people aren't as concerned about the little lies/deviations... as they are the "big" ones... as, when you add 'em all up... both cause the same amount of damage... in the long run

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

No, I mean Perry just opened up his entire catalog of thought and poured it on us. A vast sea of knowledge.

Someone throw me a donut.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Ahhhhh, yes! Mayhaps he's the strong, er, "silent" type... and just wanted us all to know?

But, thank you, dear SBC... for clearing that up. I admit, I'm a touch "paranoid", right now. No worries - I'll be back to my "old" self tootsweet!

Peace, chile!

SA, on her own...

• tec
    tec

Disregarding some parts of this thread, I found it very interesting. It seems to make sense that the Ethiopian would have been Jewish. I never thought to consider many good points that have been brought up, to back this.

Concerning your vision, Shelby, I just wanted to comment on a couple things. I always pictured a driver with the Ethiopian, and I think (can't remember with 100% certainty, because I never thought about it much before) that I always pictured Philip hopping in, and the chariot continued on its path as they talked. Perhaps those things weren't in question (and I know this thread is a bit older, but hey, I've been away ), but I felt compelled to share.

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit