Why did the Ethiopian require "explanation" of scripture in Acts 8?

by sabastious 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

I'm not sure I understand you, BOTR. Are you saying that no jews were also eunuchs? There are a couple of posts on here with scholarly and scriptural backing that show how likely it was that the eunuch was a jew. Did you read those ones?

Peace,

Tammy

• AGuest
    AGuest
    They aren't certain how the DNA ended up in Africa, except for extensive trade routes.

Interesting (and peace to you, all!)... in light of the countries to which the Jews were scattered when exiled to Babylon and after... how many including, apparently, the "experts"... seem to consistently overlook the FACT that certain countries (i.e., Egypt, Ethiopia, Libya, Morocco, Somalia, Eritrea, among others)... are actually IN Africa. Oh, yes, that's right... they're not "subsaharan" so they're not "really" in Africa. Okay.

Again, peace to you all!

A slave of Christ,

SA... who's getting a little concerned as to what being "highly educated" can actually mean...

• still thinking
    still thinking

Aguest.....keep this in mind...just a bit of advice.... by the way...I brought more Pizza its Auckland thin crust with chicken....now carry on...I'm listening.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Sounds to ME like you're sayin' beauty... AND brains... can fade, dear ST - LOLOLOLOLOL! Apparent-LY!

Peace to you, dear one, and thanks for the "tip"!

SA, on her own...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There were both Godfearers and converts of Judaism, along with diaspora Jews of Leventine descent. Full converts were usually circumcised and had table fellowship (hence the circumcision controversy in early Christianity, which was informed by the debate in Judaism on whether conversion required circumcision or only baptism); Godfearers did not and were not expected to accept the full yoke of the Law (but were subject to the Noachide laws). Josephus shows that Godfearers were multitudinous and tithed substantially to the Temple (Antiquitates 14.110, Bellum Judaicum 7.45), and they are frequently mentioned in Acts as devout Gentiles who attended synagogues (13:16, 14:1, 17:1-4, 10-12, 18:4-7). Acts however also appears to refer to Gentile converts to Judaism who shared table fellowship with other Jews. The story of Pentacost in ch. 2 has both referred to as "God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven" enjoying together the Pentacost festival (with wine, v. 13), including Jews from Parthia, Media, Elam, Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia, Phyrgia, Pamphylia, Egypt, Libya, Crete, Arabia, etc., as well as "visitors from Rome both Jews and converts to Judaism" (v. 10-11). That religious Jews were engaged in (limited) proselytism is apparent from Matthew 23:15: " Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a son of Gehenna as you are". Also there were people born and circumcised as Jews who were children or descendents of converts.

The status of the Ethiopian eunuch is ambiguous, and perhaps intentionally liminal between the expected categories. It is unclear, for instance, if he was castrated or had been further mutilated as a eunuch; if the latter was the case then he would have been incapable of receiving circumcision and even if he were only castrated he would have been excluded from the Temple (cf. Deuteronomy 23:1). That would have put him in a similar situation as the Godfearers, even if he were of Jewish descent or were born and raised in Judaism. It is noteworthy however that although Philip's meeting with the eunuch (ch. 8) was earlier than Peter's conversion of Cornelius (ch. 10), it was Cornelius and not the eunuch who was called phoboumenos (Acts 10:2, 22, 35), and in 15:14 Cornelius is recognized as the beginning of the spread of the gospel to the Gentiles. As mentioned earlier, the conversion of the eunuch may have been viewed by the author as a fulfillment of Isaiah 56, and it is possible that the author also had Isaiah 11:11-12 in mind: "The Lord will reach out his hand to reclaim the surviving remnant of his people from Assyria, from Lower Egypt, from Upper Egypt, from Ethiopia, from Elam, from Hamath and from the islands of the Mediterranean. He will raise a banner for the nations and gather the exiles of Israel; he will assemble the scattered people of Judah from the four quarters of the earth" (cf. Zephaniah 3:9-10, which prophesies that "from beyond the rivers of Ethiopia my worshippers, my scattered people, will bring me offerings"). This would then have the Ethiopian eunuch represent the ingathering of scattered Israelites and Jews in the diaspora. It is noteworthy in this connection that Philip had just evangelized among the Samaritans (Acts 8:4-25), another group that was viewed as outcast and neither Jewish nor Israelite, whose claims of being descended from Israel (cf. John 4:12, 20 ) were generally rejected by Jews. In narrative terms, it would make sense to have the gospel spread first to the Jews in Judea, then to the Samaritans and other lost sheep of Israel, and then finally to Cornelius (the beginning of the Gentile mission in the narrative world of Acts).

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Thank you for the info. May I ask how you are able to retrieve such detailed info? I am praising, not putting down. Obviously, you have much more depth and resources than just about anyone else on the forum.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Again, thank you for your comments, dear Leolaia (again, peace to you!). Please, PLEASE know that I am not trying to be contentious, but I am compelled to respond to the following:

Philip had just evangelized among the Samaritans (Acts 8:4-25), another group that was viewed as outcast and neither Jewish nor Israelite, whose claims of being descended from Israel (cf. John 4:12, 20) were generally rejected by Jews.

The Jews didn't actually reject the Samaritans as being descended from Israel, at least not at that time. The Jews "problem" with the Samaritans is that they (the Samaritans) did not worship at the temple... but had turned to false worship at Bethel (the capital of Samaria) under Jeroboam (John 4:20; 1 Kings 12:20-33; 2 Kings 17:20-23). As a result, they (the 10-tribe kingdom of Israel) was exiled into Assyria... where they committed even more spiritual "adultery." When they were RELEASED... they returned to Samaria... just as the Jews (2-tribe kingdom of Judah/Benjamin) returned to Jerusalem when THEY were released from Babylon.

In narrative terms, it would make sense to have the gospel spread first to the Jews in Judea, then to the Samaritans and other lost sheep of Israel, and then finally to Cornelius (the beginning of the Gentile mission in the narrative world of Acts).

From the Apostles, yes. But the good news actually went TO a Samaritan... before it even went to most of the Jews: the woman at the well was a Samaritan. And my Lord told HER about the promised holy spirit... "living water"... befor the Apostles were ever sent out. Folks tend to overlook this truth in exchange for the issue that she was a WOMAN... and the disciples apparently had a problem with that. THEIR problem, though, was because, at the time ROMAN rule forbade women from speaking in public (hence, Paul's prohibition against women "teaching" but needing to "learn at home from their husbands."). This had NOT been the case for the Jews/Hebrews all along. The WOMAN, however, was concerned that my Lord spoke to her... because she was a SAMARITAN: Jews and Samaritans didn't have any dealings with each other at the time even more so than men and women (the Jews were still pointing fingers at the 10-tribe kingdom's (Samaria/Oholah) spiritual "adultery" (Oholah). As a result, they couldn't see their OWN "adultery" (Jerusalem/Oholibah).) Ezekiel, Chapter 23

But the reason my Lord said to his disciples that they would be witnesses of him "In all Judea, SAMARIA, and to the distant parts of the earth," is because... salvation STARTED with the Jews, FIRST. Because of the promise to Judah and DAVID (Genesis 49:10; 2 Samuel 7:12-16). THEN, it went to the REST of Israel (Samaria)... because of the promise to Abraham (Genesis 22:17, 18). Which is why the 144,000 are taken from EVERY tribe of "the sons of ISRAEL" (excluding Dan)... and NOT just the Jews. THEN, it went to those of the nations... who were neither Jews NOR Samaritans: the great crowd out of EVERY nation, tribe, tongue, and people.

Cornelius, however is of the SECOND group... the Samaritans. He was a army officer of the Italian band (which was NOT part of the Roman army - Rome was a large city state and the Italian bands were from various smaller city states that enjoyed relative autonomy from Rome but may have their armies called upon to assist Rome) that was based in Caesarea. Caesarea... was a city... in SAMARIA. He was a "gentile" in that he was NOT a JEW (anyone who is not a JEW... including those of the other 10-tribes... is considered a "gentile" or "of the nations". Including the "nations" of Israel - which is NOT the same as the nations of JUDAH). He WAS an Israelite.

People believe he WASN'T an Israelite... because he was considered "unclean." But the 10-tribe kingdom of ISRAEL had been declared "unclean"... due to their false worship at Bethel (the capital of Samaria). Through Christ, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit, however, the MOST Holy One of Israel was now calling ISRAEL... because the call had already gone out to the JEWS (the 2-tribe kingdom of Judah). And so that call to the rest... to "Samaria"... started with Cornelius.

But how do we KNOW he was an Israelite? Because... he prayed TO... and his prayers were heard BY... the GOD of Israel: JAH... of Armies. And not some "foreign" god.

Again, I am NOT meaning to contend or argue... but only to set matters straight and accurate. Because it is because of INACCURACIES and falsehoods that many no longer put their faith in the Most Holy One of Israel... or His Son. It is the reason so many CANNOT. So, I offer these truths in the same spirit as did Priscilla and Aquila... when expounding the way of God "more accurately"... to Apollos.

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Without getting off-topic and this thread certainly meandered, I recall more events from the repatriation of Ethipians to Israel. It was very newsworthy b/c religious Jews have inordinate power in Israel. There are stricts laws as to what constitutes a Jew. My girlfriend was born of a Jewish mother and Latino father. Despite fitting the Jewish standard through maternal descent, she was shunned. The Ethiopians who claimed to be Jewish were in danger of some catastrophe. Israel has the law of return for every Jew. The religious authorities ruled this group was not Jewish b/c they were stuck in a many centuries or even longer time period. They believed they were Jewish but no one practiced their brand of Judaism anymore. There were different dietary laws and other customs. Some theology was different.

Within Israel, people viewed this as legalistic. Clearly, they were in danger b/c other Ethiopians and the govt. perceived them to be Jewish. It was not their fault that they had been so isolated from the Jewish mainstream. Death was waiting them in the imminent future. After much debate, the religious authorities relented and the government of Israel rescued them. I remember reading what a rough time they had adjusting in Israel. Both sides were certain they had the exclusive definition of what constituted Judaism. Dietary differences were one crucial component.

The history was fascinating. I refuse to access New York Times and Jerusalem Post archives for a casual Internet forum. This is only what I remember in substantial terms. Clearly, this happened many centuries after the events in Acts. Do others remember more?

• AGuest
    AGuest

At some point, modern-day Jews are going to realize that being a Jew is not necessarily a theological question... but an ethnic matter. It applies FIRST... to BLOOD... and hence, FIRST... to the descendants of Judah/Benjamin. Regardless of their religion... or location in the earth. Because genealogical records were destroyed, however, some believe that this matter is up for speculation and so can be manifested through the religion and traditions one practices. That is only true, however, for man.

The Most Holy One of Israel knows where the blood of Abraham is in the earth. More particularly, he knows where the blood of Isaac... and thus Jacob... is... in the earth. Because... the blood... SPEAKS. Abraham's blood calls OUT. To ALL 12 tribes, INCLUDING "Judah".

In this way, so many who THINK they are Jews... because the religion and traditions they and their ancestors have practiced for centuries, perhaps even millenia... SAY they are... are going to be quite surprised. Because religion and tradition isn't what makes one a Jew. He is not a Jew who is one on the OUTSIDE; he is a Jew... who is one on the INSIDE. So, they, too, are going to be among those who say, "Lord, Lord, didn't we...", only to be told, "I never knew you."

That knowing... is through blood: holy spirit. The blood of God, the MOST Holy One of Israel... which "bears witness" with the SPIRIT of those who belong to Him. Which is granted to the man one is on the INSIDE. Thus, one is a Jew... by BLOOD: either that of Abraham, through Judah/Benjamin... or through that of the Most Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies... through His Son and Christ, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit, JAHESHUA, the Chosen One of JAH (MischaJah).

Because the spirit... the LIFE... is in the BLOOD. And NOT in the religion... or traditions.

Peace to you all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Peace. Victorian angels. Not biting. References would be nice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit