Why did the Ethiopian require "explanation" of scripture in Acts 8?

by sabastious 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Peace to you too Shelby, good night.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Because it doesn't make a lick of goddamned sense!

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I always found it strange that you are running along minding your own business on a highway in the dessert and voila-someone to convert. Acts opens with bringing the gospel to gentiles. The Acts scripture reads so nonchalant. Many synchronous things have happened to me so I'm not saying impossible but mostly, when I take a subway, people are reading The Daily News, not Isaish just as I want to preach.

I am kind of with you here. The scene setup does seem too good to be true espeically because the "wham bam thank ya mam" expediency in which events transpired to the conversion.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

ROOSTERMAN! LOL

-Sab

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Someone has such extensive knowledge of first century Judaism that we all stand in awe. Scholars from around the world flock to learn from her. Yes, People magazine and Match cover her. Amazing. What is more all three branches of Judaism, plus Hasidim, send their rabbinical students to learn to gain rare knowledge.

I can't take some people seriously.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Because unlike today everything you learned was from word of mouth...unless Philip or someone else spoke to him directly, the Ethiopian may have not known what the prophecy meant. It's amazing how the good news of the kingdom was preached extensively in the first century without having the backing of an international printing empire...if such a corporation was not need then why would it be needed now?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

To get to the other side.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    The scene setup does seem too good to be true espeically because the "wham bam thank ya mam" expediency in which events transpired to the conversion.

Almost like Philip was jogging on the spot while he baptised him . . .

As the dude in the caddy might say . . . "Das a whooooole latta hooooooly spi't goin darn"

• Awen
    Awen

^ Why did the Ethiopian feel completely inadequate to understand Isaiah without help?

How much of the Bible did you understand before the JW's came along?

Exactly. (Only you know the answer)

How much have you understood since you left the JW's and turned to Christ and received the Holy Spirit?

Only you know the answer to that one as well.

Without getting into a debate about who got what information from where I think it's safe to say the Eunuch was having a problem with what he was reading, he clearly stated he didn't understand it and needed help. Phillip offered the help, converted the man, baptized him, they parted ways.

Why all the fuss?

We'll probably really never know whay he couldn't understand what he was reading. It doesn't says so in the text, which leads me to believe the answer was unimportant, only the event that took place.

/shrug.

Peace and Love,

Awen

• sabastious
    sabastious

Awen:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit