Victoria, Australia: Steven Unthank's Press Release: JW's Hierarchy Formally Charged Today With Child Abuse

by AndersonsInfo 243 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Thanks OTWO,

One thing I've learned in my post witness life is to get all the facts and read articles critically. While I applaud Mr. Unthanks efforts in this matter, his previous correspondence has been a bit sensationalized. I just want to find out what this actually means. On the surface it looks like a major blow to their PR engine, especially if picked up by news outlets.

One thing that every ex-witness can do, would be to forward this information to blog sites, news outlets and similar groups (local child protection agencies). But before I personally do that, I would like to confirm what this actually means.

Perhaps if we get some answers, posters here can coordinate a media blitz, identifying and forwarding this article to as many organizations as possible. Really make it an international PR hit for the witnesses.

If they get a black eye, or lose a few members, good. But I agree, the real winner will be the children stuck in a religion that denies proactive means to keep them safe.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Friends,

Maybe, just maybe, we are seeing the "last days" of the WTS, not just in Australia, but throughout the world. While you can be sure this news will never make the pages of The Watchtower, Awake! or Our Kingdom Ministry, the world media might jump all over it. I can only hope that the American media will make a big deal of the Australia case. If it becomes front page newspaper stories and lead items on the nightly news in this country, we may then get the satisfaction of having WTS officials explain themselves in public. The effect this could have on the rank and file would then be tremendous.

The dominoes are now in place and the first one has fallen. Will this create the kind of effect that will have a global impact? While it is too early to say, we can only hope it will. The WTS claims to be "Jehovah's organization" that is "spirit-directed". This court case may well put those claims to the acid test. It's not the monetary judgments the Society has to fear. It can pay the fines. But it is the hit its reputation will take that will do the most damage. And I must confess that the thought of Gerrit Lösch, Sam Herd, et al possibly cooling their heels in an Australian jail gives me a great deal of pleasure. Even if that doesn't happen, the Governing Body could be declared personae non gratae in Australia and subject to arrest should any of them ever set foot on Australian soil. I hope Barbara Anderson keeps us informed.

Quendi

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I would like to think this is true and that Mr. Unthank's original hope (that the authorities would take the evidence he began to gather and run with it on their own) is coming to fruition.

There are two things in the article that I find suspicious though. The potential for $144,000 fines and "The Faithful and Discreet Slave" as one of the accused.

I'd like to see something about this from Australia's real media and not just from Mr. Unthank's personal web blog.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Watchtower heavies that remember the Andersons right about now are saying............................DAMN THAT BARBARA!

You go girl. If this case only results in a black eye, thats' something!

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

Australia seems to be cracking down on cults, they arrested one of the big wigs in scientology because she covered up child abuse like 10-15 years ago. thats a great sign. i hope Australia gives it to the watchtower right up the ass with no mercy.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I have learned that the term private prosecution applies to criminal proceedings and is usually initiated, or brought before a court, by an individual or private organization instead of a public prosecutor who represents the state. This an acceptable procedure in Australia.

Steven Unthank lodged charges with the Magistrates Court many months ago in the form of a 664-page "Submission" which he now calls a "Religious Manifesto" that I understand was perfectly legal and understandable by the powers that be in what I call a "God-ruled legal system" in Victoria, Australia, although my trying to understand that "Submission" was difficult when I first read it as this type of "legal" document is very strange to us in the US.

Steven had to have approval to file the charges and I was told that The Department of Justice spent almost 2 months reviewing the entire 664- page document he produced. They did a thorough review of the evidence and application of the legislation and law as it applied to the religion of JWs. Following the review of charges, Steven was formally given the green light to file the charges by Victoria’s Chief Magistrate which he did on the 26th of July. Then as we read from the Press Release above, "court fees for the filing of the charges were donated by a number of children, through their parents, for and on behalf of all children within the religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses."

Following the filing of the charges, instead of Steven Unthank prosecuting the case, which can be done by a private citizen but who then bears all the expense, the "Registrar of the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria, acting under direct instruction from the Chief Magistrate, formally referred the case to the Office of Public Prosecutions which is the statutory authority responsible for preparing and conducting criminal prosecutions in Victoria."

From this it appears that this particular office has taken the case over. If there is need for a correction to any of this information, I'll get back to you. If I hear of any further information of interest, I'll post it immediately, especially concerning the following when:

"A total of 5 separate court hearings have been scheduled for 13 September 2011 in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria at Latrobe Valley with the accused to be served by summons to appear."

Here's some miscellaneous information that might interest you that I have located:

Page 2 of "The Submission" contains the phrase "Brief of Evidence for the Charging, Indictment, and Prosecution of "The Faithful and Discreet Slave".

Page 12 of "The Submission" contains the "Charge-Sheet and Summons (Corporate Accused)" and identifies the corporate accused as "The Committee of Management for the Religion of Jehovah's Witnesses in the State of Victoria".

"The Faithful and Discreet Slave" (FDS) is a "person" as defined under Australian State law which includes "an unincorporated body or association". The Organized book on page 16, par. 1, identifies the FDS as a "body".

The FDS can be charged and documents can be served at the local Kingdom Hall.

The WTS claims that members of the FDS are now ruling in Heaven over every congregation. This is irrelevant. However, it can be argued that the FDS, in relation to Section 35 (1)(a)(b)(c) of the Working with Children Act 2005, are aware that Elders, Ministerial Servants, and others are working with children, on their behalf, without an "assessment notice" in breach of the Act. Under the Victorian State Charter of Human Rights, "religious belief" the WTS and JW teach that there is at least one resurrected member of the FDS in Heaven per every congregation worldwide. By having the FDS charged, this allows the State Government to seize every single Kingdom Hall in the world. How? By hiding behind the religion the WTS has created a sanctimonious front and attributed everything to the FDS. Therefore the FDS are at fault.

The Governing Body operates in Victoria as they sign their "person" name on the inside of many books which are distributed in Victoria, Australia.

Also, the NY Corporation does not operate in Australia. The Pennsylvania Corp. does, unlike in the U.K. when the Pennsylvania Corporation was dissolved back in 1999. And I have been given to understand that indicting the Pennsylvania Corporation for criminal activity gives the Victorian government the right to reach across borders to the United States to get at that corporation. In addition, certain agencies in the US government are watching this case carefully because it involves a US corporation. It has come to my attention too that the District Attorney in Brooklyn, NY, is also keeping up with events as they unfold in Australia. More information will probably be available in the future.

Please see www.jwnews.net for frequent updates by Steven Unthank. Hopefully, maybe very soon there will be Australian newspaper coverage of the most recent events to do with this case.

Barbara

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

http://christianwitnesses.com/id379.html "CORRECTION REGARDING WATCHTOWER IN AUSTRALIA Steven Unthank himself says he is not filing a $350 fee as needed in order to prosecute the Watchtower Society over its not complying with Australia's Working With Children law on doing background checks for if he does so he would have to assume all obligations including financially. However this does not necessarily end the matter for Australia's police or government can still push forward. Watchtower insists it does not normally work with children and does what it has to under law. Australia's government has communicated with Watchtower's branch about this; Steven has sent letters to the world headquarters in Brooklyn whose legal department and the Governing Body members have ignored them but by his doing so it has put them on clear notice."

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

The Quiet One: I think the information on the website, http://christianwitnesses.com/id379.html, you quoted is old news from the last Australian Herald Sun newspaper article of a few weeks ago where Steven said he was not going to pay the $350. court filing fee. The information I posted today is the latest news because he filed today. The Press Release stated:

"All court fees for the filing of the charges were donated by a number of children, through their parents, for and on behalf of all children within the religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses."

Barb

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Sweeney - Good point!

Although Barbara Anderson is as credible as any individual I've ever known, she is just the messenger in this case. I too noticed the "$144,000 in fines" and the fact that the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" (who are not faithful, discreet or "slaves") is also named as a "defendant." And while the State of Victoria is a very populous state, it would be equivalent to New York state in the USA. While populous, significant, and influential - it is not the government of Australia.

So my questions are:

If this is a federal law, why is it not being pursued in Au Federal Courts?

If this is a criminal indictment, why does an individual have to initiate the filing of charges?

So...I'm a little confused. But I hope that is just due to my ignorance of Australian federal and state laws.

I can only hope that the word gets out and that the Watchtower and its Governing Body get more than just a black eye over this, but that this case also exposes them for what they really are. I hope it is not us who are having our proverbial "legs being pulled."

JV

• rebel8
    rebel8

bttt

This is a BIG deal (potentially). Bad publicity is a very effective way to prevent the cult from growing!!

Everyone: Please take a moment to contact the New York Times and suggest they cover this story, since the "worldwide organization" implicated in these charges is headquartered in New York City. Maybe if multiple people contact them, they will cover it.
    Email the Foreign Desk reporter: [email protected]

Specifically mention why the NYT's readers would be interested in this story.

The best way to contact them is as noted above because it goes directly to the right dept. However, if you are too shy about sending an email from your own account, you can send feedback through their website at https://myaccount.nytimes.com/membercenter/help.html.

Here is our chance to do something effective, it's free and it only takes 30 seconds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit