Victoria, Australia: Steven Unthank's Press Release: JW's Hierarchy Formally Charged Today With Child Abuse

by AndersonsInfo 243 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Listener
    Listener

Thanks for clarifying Barbara.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I see a lot of procedural problems or issues. This is funny: Is the faithful and discreet slave actually named? Australia will claim jurisdiction over heaven?

I must read this when I have more time. Jurisdiction beyond national borders is very controversial. It has happened.

I find it remarkable that the WT can register as a ngo with the UN, after my years of UN being worse than anyone, but not obey a simple pedophile law in Australia, a western democracy. I find it arrogant.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

If you want the NYT, I've been able to ask for specific reporters through their switchboard. There must be someone covering religion and the Catholic Church beat who wants to expand. Of course, I haven't called in about ten years.

Since we are talking NYT, has anyone ever tried to reach the NY tabloids, Daily News and Daily Post, maybe the Latino one, too? I can see the racy headlines.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    Jurisdiction beyond national borders is very controversial.

I don't think SU is suing the American WTS. He is suing the Australian branch of the WTS.

I think. This whole thing is very confusing. It'd be good if SU could just come out and say straight forwardly exactly what he is doing and why.

• Scully
    Scully

Please refer to the Posting Guidelines regarding "invasion of privacy" - we don't allow the posting of personal telephone numbers for individual members of JWN.

• steve2
    steve2
    Many members of the religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and their families, are now demanding the immediate resignation or removal of the entire Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses and the entire Board of Directors of the Watch Tower Society as well as the forming of church-based Judicial Committees in relation to these serious child abuse charges. This has been made even more urgent by the fact that every charge is an indictable criminal offence, with the victim being a child, and every alleged perpetrator being a current church elder holding a position of responsibility within the religion.

First, good on anyone who has the courage to stand up against a more powerful foe. Having said that, the use of hyperbole -as in the above quote dampens such courage. Which active JWs are demanding the immediate resignation or removal of the enitre GB? Besides, the well-lawyered Aussie Watchtower corporation will champion religious freedoms over 'mere' state laws (I'd like to be proved wrong on this!).

Keep in mind that, even though the Watchtower Society likes to be seen as law-abiding, it will fight tooth and nail a private citizen's attempt to call upon it to 'compromise' its putative adherence to biblical principles. I also get the impression from reading Mr Unthank's documents that he sometimes comes across as unfortunately unbalanced in his comments and conclusions. It's not so much that I don't want him to succeed - I do. But his rhetoric keeps getting in the way. If and when this case actually progresses to the Watchtower appearing in the Victorian court with their lawyers, it will be a hard choice deciding which one is the more bizarre in their communcation streams: The Watchtower and Mr Unthank? But hands down, Mr Unthank could be called the more courageous one of the two. I'll stay tuned.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Broken Promises: SU is not suing anybody. He filed criminal charges against three WT corporations, their directors, and the body that WT claims rules them all--the FDS through the GB, for non-compliance of a state law that has considerable penalties for not obeying.

The corporation that directs the two Australian WT corporations that are being charged is the American Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania and it is being criminally charged too because it is the authority where the "buck stops" when it comes to the Australian WT corporations not obeying "the superior authorities," in this case, Victoria, Australia, Working With Children Act.

Hope this helps.

The "real" Barbara

• carla
    carla

Thank you Barb! keep us posted if you can.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I guess at the end of the day, we need to wait till the September court appearances are over to see what goes down or not.

Perhaps Mr Unthank is taking a wise course of saying nothing on discussion boards in case comments made by him can be misused in court. There is good reason people say 'no comment' at times.

Sydney Bethel will be monitoring sites looking for him you know...I imagine he has to think hard about what he puts in writing.

Hi Vincent...

oz

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

What I would give to be a fly on the wall on Sept 13th in that court room.

Thanks Barb x Good luck SU x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit