What is the ULTIMATE goal of the Watchtower Society?

by MrDarkKnight 78 Replies latest jw friends

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

In a number of different threads comments have been made about the motives of the GB and the WTBTS. It made me think, what is their ULTIMATE goal? What is their end game?

Avoiding lawsuits, controlling the rank and file, protecting the reputation of the "organization" and keeping the cash flowing all seem to be goals, but to me they appear to be more like strategies or designs to an end. What is the end?

I lived at HQ and have seen how the upper echelon of the WTBS lives. Besides free room and board and traveling nothing about their lifestyle screams "I am enjoying the high life". Its certainly not how I would spend millions if I had direct access to them.

So what do you think or know? What is the ULTIMATE goal of the Watchtower Society?

• designs
    designs

'Ve Vant Vorld Domination, nothing less will do I tell you NOTHING Less!' Col. Losch

• shepherd
    shepherd

To get their reward in Heaven and rule over all of us for the next 1000 years as kings! That's what they believe is the reward waiting for them.

• mickeyman1
    mickeyman1

There is no goal of the WTS. It is only an ideology that lives its own life.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    What is the ULTIMATE goal of the Watchtower Society?

I don't think they have an 'ultimate' goal and I'm not sure at G level they even believe it's the 'truth'. Surely they can't believe it's the 'truth' can they?

They (the GB), perpetuate a delusion whilst not having to worry financially about a thing.

• Tralfamadorian
    Tralfamadorian

I lived at HQ and have seen how the upper echelon of the WTBS lives. Besides free room and board and traveling nothing about their lifestyle screams "I am enjoying the high life". Its certainly not how I would spend millions if I had direct access to them.

So what do you think or know? What is the ULTIMATE goal of the Watchtower Society?

That's a real philosophical can of worms there. From what I've observed from studying secular history and a bit of religious history it seems as though the goal is like most other things in this world: To not end.

The WTBTS is a corporate entity. Intellectual Trust (publishers of LDS literature) is a corporate entity. What all this may imply I can only speculate on and cannot be proven by empirical means that I'm aware of. "A central concept in modern science and the scientific method is that all evidence must be empirical, or empirically based, that is, dependent on evidence or consequences that are observable by thesenses."Wikipedia

Throughout history, empires have risen and fallen. It seems as though natural law itself dictates that nothing in this place, this plane of existence can 'live forever.' Egypt had it's time, Babylon, later Greece and Rome. You may note a similar running theme in all these empires: Once they reach the pinnacle of their power, they fall into decadence.

dec·a·dence

/ 'd?k?d?ns , d?'ke?dns / Show Spelled [ dek - uh -d uh ns , dih- keyd -ns ] Show IPA –noun 1. the act or process of falling into an inferior condition or state; deterioration; decay: Some historians hold that the fall of Rome can be attributed to internal decadence. 2. moral degeneration or decay; turpitude. 3. unrestrained or excessive self-indulgence. They key word here is decay. Like everything else in this plane of existence, it is subject to the ravages of time. Even corporate entities. So the end game, in my opinion, is to not end at all, as is true with any business, government or religion that uses ruthless means to obtain and keep control over the mass and to dominate the markets in commerce, government and religious beliefs. It will be noticed that to some extent, the WTBTS has symptoms of all three of these definitions: falling into an inferior state, deterioration. Moral degeneration (i.e. allowing pedophiles to run rampant, etc...) Unrestrained and excessive self-indulgence. I say this in the sense that they excessively indulge themselves in exericsing unreasonable control and power over the congregations at a level they never have before in their relatively brief existence so far. This is only my perspective on the matter. It would be interesting to hear other ideas. Thanks for bringing the topic up.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

I am 100% sure that the leaders of the WTS (who are not the same persons as the GB members, at least not all of them) know their religion is bullshit. I even think that within their hearts they know God is a scam. If the world's religious leaders would believe in a real God, they would fear him because of all their abuses and wrongdoings. History proves they do not believe in his existance, but teach others to believe in order to milk them. So the goal of the WTS and the goal of every religion is the same as of every living being: to survive and evolve as much as possible and, if possible, to become the supreme being that lived in their dreams from the very beginning. Man wants to become God. So does every religious institution. To achieve the highest level of control an authority over the highest possible number of acoytes, while also becoming the master of all their material property.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

MrDarkKnight: Ray Franz's opinion is good enough for me. The people at the top really believe the stuff. They are true believers. They believe they are responsible for dispensing spiritual food to the sheep. They are victims of victims. The corporations of the WT evolve to survive.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

They just don't want to admit that they are a bunch of complete dickheads and that everyone who has followed them has taken bad advice and wasted their lives and family relationships for nix.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Excellent hard question. I don't know the interior thoughts of the GB. It strikes me that it would be difficult for them to believe as rank and file do. My father's service at Bethel left him with no respect for the authorities. He still clung to the religion, mostly to receive family approval. I heard Rutherford lived a lavish life style. I don't know about Knorr, Franz, etc. to the present GB. They remind me of the curia at the Vatican. They deal with the personalities and know where the dead bodies and buried treasure are.

Theocracy is their stated goal. Yet a true theocracy would knock out any need for an earthly organization. I wonder if they go through motions. It would be great to hear from anyone who knows any of them on a personal basis. I saw a photo of the present GB. The white male domination was very striking. One token darkie. It reminds me of the perhaps 20 black Mormons when the church would not accept them as full members b/c of the Ham scriptures.

Anyway, would they ever share their ultimate goal with us? I am certain they would not. A bit OT but why were overseers dumped? It is entirely possible that they are in such utter denial that they believe the WT line. I find it strange that men who espouse the end of mankind in Armageddon and have utter contempt for worldly authority (even tho Jesus respected worldly authority in most ways) are deeply enmeshed in politics and law suits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit