The Real Issues Facing former Jehovah's Witnesses

by AllTimeJeff 57 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

On internet forums such as these, it is to be expected that there will be people who want to save JW's. esp from (thinking for) themselves.

However, the real dillema's facing an ex JW who leaves, whether on their own terms or being disfellowshipped are real and haven't changed.

Lonliness, how to make friends, is a big issue.

Fear, esp fear based on superstition, a fear of god and of the future that is not in any way based in proveable fact.

Education, how to think and reason critically to avoid being taken advantage of is a big challenge.

Love, sex, and how to navigate your way around all of that hot mess.

Geez, yeah, forgot. Gotta make some money some how.

Many can't afford a therapist at first (although seeing one is highly remommended), so forums like this are very helpful, not for the professional help that it's members can't offer, but rather, for the validation about the experience of being and leaving JW's.

No one on this forum can heal or save you. But we can offer you a cyber pat on the back that says "Yeah, we've been there, it gets better...."

This forum offers a glimpse of the real world, because in reality, JW's were never as unified as they brag, they just suppress uniquness and personality so that everyone appears to have a slightly yellow tinged gray appearance. This forum will challenge you to think for yourself, and test your own opinions, no matter how much you haven't thought them out. Be prepared, if you are honest, you might change your mind.

This forum isn't about helping the mentally ill, or those looking for god, because this forum is mostly about JW's, and when you think about it, being a former JW is about leaving a god, not heading to a new one. So for you theists out there, show some respect and remember that, ok?

When I see trolls and fundies come through here, it really is like shooting fish in a barrel. Big deal. Hey folks, a lot of people are like godrulz in the world. That never changed, and it won't for a long long time.

This forum is at it's best when we can support each other. (it's hard for me to comment on many new ones and their issues, but I read them. Maybe one day, I will be ok enough to offer some words). Or it can help people to think. (my specialty)

It isn't about beating up religious scarecrows who are intent on living in their own head while trying to expand that world to you. So don't forget what good we all can do by keeping trolls and fundies in their place and not taking them too seriously.

• Rydor
    Rydor

Wow, does this forum have a "sticky" function? Because this post deserves one.

You hit several nails right on their respective heads.

Good job, man.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

I lurked for awhile before joing this site. It was and is comforting to see a bunch of people who understand JW culture and lingo and beliefs and attitudes, and who have the same (or similar) problems with them. This site has helped a lot, and I like it very much. I'm glad I joined.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

Are you kidding? Thanks so all of you I learned a HELL of a lot! Tearing down lies but especially using humor makes it all the best! Thanks so Minimus, Moshe, Outlaw even...

Where are you IssacAustin? You helped me mucho by sending the Crisis book to my email!

Love to all the people here.

Very soon I will reveal my real name and try to find out if there are any ex brothers that I knew from Atlanta. I am just not at that stage yet.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I struggle with everything you mentioned,Jeff. It's easy to feel overwhelmed at times. But,I'm trying to be more positive about things. I'm grateful I'm not bitter,well,to a reasonable degree anyway.

But,this forum is a great support system for me. I have found friends who can relate and understand what I'm going through. Priceless really,to be heard and understood. They "get" me. And it helps to know I'm not alone.

• Scott77
    Scott77

AllTimeJeff

I joined this site 2 years ago and have tremendouly benefited. I sincerely thank those that were deeply involved into the WTS work more than me but, who eventually, come out and shared their experience here. Iam surprised, there are more newbies lately signing up on this site. I think, that is good news.

Scott77

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

Thanks. I sometimes forget what you said here, My JW training makes me want to debate every little point I can. My own personality lends itself to being an A-hole sometimes. The people on this site have been awesome. My experience is not as bad as many here, but it would be much more difficult without everybody here. Thanks again.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

So that's what it's all about...

Hey, wait! ...Jehovah's Witnesses?...You mean this isn't the ex-Pentecostal site?

Have I been posting on the wrong forum all this time? I'd better go...Bye!

• Quentin
    Quentin

So for you theists out there, show some respect and remember that, ok?......But...but...Jeff how do you do that?..

You make good medicine Dr. Jeff. This is a forum about jw's and how ex-jw's can, and should, guide those who need it through a stressful, traumatic time in their life. Raise your candle high folks. You may just save someones life....

• sizemik
    sizemik

A nice summation to focus on the central reason for the sites existence ATJeff . . .

Sometimes familiarity can cause us to see it as a bit of a playground for our leisure, and lose sight of what it means, has meant, and will mean in the future, to so many.

The only thing I would take issue with . . . While this is not a panel of experts on every matter . . . I feel something far more valuable than a cyber pat-on-the-back is often available. There are some very learned and experienced people here with some sterling advice. I feel it has been the most practical of all the help I've recieved . . . and I was in need of plenty for a while.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit